The Nextel i930 (WM smartphone) was the same way. It was locked so you couldnt buy any apps for it (unless you hacked it). It was still considered a smartphone.
As I mentioned, the iPhone has a built in email client, Wifi, a real web browser, unique OS, dedicated processor, as well as a large touch screen which makes it different from your a920 and most "regular" cell phones thus, making it a smartphone.
Last edited by Cal; July 23rd, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
1. At $599, it is ridiculously expensive.
- Yes, it's not subsidized.
2. ...one must sell their soul to evil AT&T.
This should be #1. :(
3. Japan has technologically superior/cheaper phones.
Japan, Korea, UK, hell even the UAE have better phones. It's no secret that they have us beat in every facet in this regard.
4. Slower internet than the commercials show:
This is a toss up. It works great jumping on Wifi networks, and Edge is questionable depending on your location.
5. YouTube is slow and crappy using EDGE.
-Fast on Wifi, questionable on Edge. Regardless, I don't use it as much.
6. You cannot remove its battery. Thanks for replicating one of the biggest complaints about the ipod, Apple!
- This is irrelevant to me. The full charge will max to 80% after 300 full cycle charges.......which is close to 2 years. My phone will be sold by then.
7. The glass touch screen of the iPhone guarantees that thousands of customers who drop their phones will have cracked screens.
- Far from the truth.....no guarantee on that. This is baseless. There are a good number of people out there that have dropped their phone. No cracked screens for the majority of them.
8. The touchscreen keyboard sucks, according to those who have used the phone.
-I love it and type faster now than on my old Curve.
9. It can’t send MMS picture messages.
- I rarely use MMS, but the next sw update will fix this. Also, there's a temporary solution to this by sending pictures to carrier picture emails (email@example.com)
10. The camera has little or no options, and the pictures it takes aren’t very good.
- The next sw update will fix this. Pictures are decent.
11. It lacks proper support for Flash websites. So much for the internet.
- Again, next sw update will fix this. This 'internet' on my iPhone beats my old internet experience on my Curve.
12. It can’t record video.
- Neither can a lot of highly rated phones/smart phones out there.
13. “Pinching” pictures to zoom might look neat in commercials, but many reviewers are saying it actually sucks.
-It doesn't suck for me.
14. It lacks 3G high-speed data transfer.
-I miss it. :(
15. No songs as ringtones.
-Hacks allow it to be done relatively easy. Next sw update will provide this option.
16. No GPS.
- This is a toss up. There are methods to work around this, but it's true....there is NO true GPS on this.
17. It doesn’t work under 64-bit Windows XP / Windows Vista!
-Next sw update will provide support, but I don't use a 64bit XP, so that doesn't really bother me or a good amount of computer users out there.
18. It only allows for a maximum of 1 picture to be attached to each e-mail you send.
- Yes, next sw update will fix this.
19. It doesn’t have a file browser/organizer.
- Integration with Leopard will allow this in terms of accessing and storing files/folders to/from computer. Watch for this in October.
20. Its default ringtones suck.
Eh, it's a toss up....but why the **** would that dissuade you to buy it? Also, there are hacks to put your own as well as the next sw update.
21. You can not save documents on it: documents can only be viewed as attachments when they’re sent to your e-mail address.
Next sw update.
22. No games!!
-I never played games on any of my previous phones. Apple said it will allow it soon.
23. Its “quick list” dialing sucks compared to traditional speed dialing, which it lacks..
-It sucks? True, no true speed dialing, but there is a screen with favorites that works just as fast.
24. Long activation waits: many new iPhone users are reporting that they are being told to wait hours or even days to activate service for their phone. Thanks, AT&T!
-Yes....in the first weekend of its release. It's quick now for obvious reasons.
25. Heat issues: the iPhone can get very hot when it is in use.
Not for me....and for my 7 friends who have the phone.
I'm tired of writing............................
I'm thinking about getting the HTC Kaiser..but price is pretty high at over $800+. The 8525 with WM6 is just fine for now tho...although I find myself switching back and fourth between that and a Blackberry.
But this 'software update' rumor is getting out of control. There isn't a shred of proof out there that Apple is going to do ANY of those things you listed, or any of the hundreds of other 'updates' people are spreading over the internet. For all we know, the update feature may be for security updates only. Everything else is PURE speculation.
Unless of course, you work for the Apple iPhone development team and are working on these things yourself. Then by all means, tell me more...
LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!
LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!