Click Here!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Need Help, My External Hard Drive Disappeared :(

  1. #11
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    144 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Don't know if you fixed the problem Watti, but it may just be the power source for the drive. I had this happen recently. I could hear the drive spinning, but it wouldn't mount or be recognized. Changed the power cord and it was as good as new.

  2. #12
    I am ignoring you. Blurker's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,547
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTo VoN BLoTTo View Post
    Don't know if you fixed the problem Watti, but it may just be the power source for the drive. I had this happen recently. I could hear the drive spinning, but it wouldn't mount or be recognized. Changed the power cord and it was as good as new.
    That's a good point. Along that line of thinking... Is it an AC powered USB Drive? Or a USB powered drive? (no power cord, runs off the voltage output thru the USB cable)

  3. #13
    Out of Hibernation Watti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Been away from the boards for a few days but thanks again to everyone for the suggestions... Nothing's worked yet, but I haven't given up.

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTo VoN BLoTTo View Post
    Don't know if you fixed the problem Watti, but it may just be the power source for the drive. I had this happen recently. I could hear the drive spinning, but it wouldn't mount or be recognized. Changed the power cord and it was as good as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurker View Post
    That's a good point. Along that line of thinking... Is it an AC powered USB Drive? Or a USB powered drive? (no power cord, runs off the voltage output thru the USB cable)
    Hm... haven't thought of that yet. Good idea. It's AC powered so I'll see if swapping that out helps.

  4. #14
    Part IV. A new begining.. empire's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8,277
    Liked
    19498 times
    Karma
    1353916
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    192 Post(s)

    Default

    I've had a similar problem with my backup disk too.
    Thanks Len -Det64 for the reactivation help, I followed it but mine came up "Healthy/Active" and could not reactivate.
    However I can not access the disk and I notice in the "% Free" column it says 100%.
    It looks like I lost all the data and need to reformat the disk in order to use it again but will this happen again? I didn't move the drive, it sits on top of the pc and worked fine for about a year then would be intermittent so I switched the USB cable but finally it said no more..
    Any other ideas, would be helpful.

  5. #15
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,847
    Liked
    16810 times
    Karma
    1661409
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    575 Post(s)

    Default

    If you get desperate, and it appears you're close, as a last resort you can try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. It is a "trick" that works occasionally, and may revive the drive long enough for you to retrieve the data. You can google the exact instructions, you need to avoid getting condensation into the drive to the extent possible.

  6. #16
    Where is my mind? PuckMonkey's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,454
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    If you get desperate, and it appears you're close, as a last resort you can try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. It is a "trick" that works occasionally, and may revive the drive long enough for you to retrieve the data. You can google the exact instructions, you need to avoid getting condensation into the drive to the extent possible.
    I tried this once and I was able to get the drive to work in spurts (5-10 minutes at a time). I finally just took my system into my kitchen and plugged everything into the drive and left it in the freezer and was able to retrieve everything from it.

  7. #17
    Super Sexy Birdman's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,713
    Liked
    3213 times
    Karma
    400035072
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    489 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    If you get desperate, and it appears you're close, as a last resort you can try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. It is a "trick" that works occasionally, and may revive the drive long enough for you to retrieve the data. You can google the exact instructions, you need to avoid getting condensation into the drive to the extent possible.
    This will work. I've recovered data off of a drive more than once using this method for clients that were lazy enough to not do backups. I've also had a "Jumpstart" recover data as well on a drive that wouldn't spin up on bootup (Plug the power adapter into a drive after the computer has booted up).

    Have you yanked the drive out of the case its in yet and just tried plugging it directly into a motherboard?

    Not to crank on anyone here, but the moral of this story is that you need to backup your data, and if its truly important, its likely worth having more than one backup medium stored separately. Getting lazy when you run out of computer disk space and just start storing your iTunes music on that same external drive is a train wreck just waiting to happen. A client did that, and the disk recovery cost them over $1K, and they still didn't get all their music back.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

    ---gescom

  8. #18
    Out of Hibernation Watti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Have you yanked the drive out of the case its in yet and just tried plugging it directly into a motherboard?
    Not yet, I'm waiting until I can confirm that its not just the power adaptor. After that, I'll try pulling it out of it's case and if that fails, I try the freezer thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Not to crank on anyone here, but the moral of this story is that you need to backup your data, and if its truly important, its likely worth having more than one backup medium stored separately. Getting lazy when you run out of computer disk space and just start storing your iTunes music on that same external drive is a train wreck just waiting to happen. A client did that, and the disk recovery cost them over $1K, and they still didn't get all their music back.
    100% correct. I do have all of my important stuff backed up... Again, this is just photos of random crap (generally speaking, the blurry ones that didn't make the cut), various files from over the years, etc. Nothing super critical, so it's not the end of the world if I can't get it back and it's not anything worth spending any cash to get back. I've saved my really important stuff (i.e. photos from a trip to Europe, trip to Canada, old family pictures, songs that I've actually spent time writing, etc), onto no less than 3 seperate locations. Glad I did, too, otherwise this would have been a lot worse. There's not even really all that much on there, should be pretty quick to recover it all if it comes down to the freezer method. Otherwise, eh... what can you do?

    I'll post here with updates when I'm able to try out some of the stuff posted above. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

  9. #19
    Part IV. A new begining.. empire's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8,277
    Liked
    19498 times
    Karma
    1353916
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    192 Post(s)

    Default

    The freezer didn't work on mine so today it's in the sunshine for a little warmth.
    My back HDD was the drive in my new computer 2 years ago that got a virus so I replaced it and bought an external case for this one.
    After I cleaned it it seemed to work fine, I back up my business every week and got tired of writing CD's.
    When I couldn't access the back up, I went back to writing CD's but I do have some photos that I had not put on a CD as I would file my photos at the end of the year.
    So I would like to get it running if possible, but I'm in no rush.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate any help you can offer.

  10. #20
    Out of Hibernation Watti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the freezer trick works for some HDs (as in, what is the science behind it)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28