Well, Norton does it again.
1. It's that time of year for Norton to periodically send me reminders that it is time for me to renew my Norton software ($50.00 or what ever it is).
2. I turned on my PC this morning (running MS Windows XP Home) and could not get any connection (Google, LGK, etc) and could not retreive my email. Got "Could not connect to server" error.
3. From Control Panel I opened Network Connections which showed I was indeed connected at my usual speed of 100 Mbps.
4. Called Verizon Tech Support (my IP) and we ran ipconfig and pinged Google and Yahoo and could get no response.
5. Major Props to this Tech who asked if I was running Norton. We then disabled it for 1 hour and bingo. I could connect again. Norton was blocking ALL websites.
6. I opened Norton and set it from Running at Start Up to Manual, effectively turning it off for good.
7. I really don't feel like calling Norton Tech right now to troubleshoot. I might later.