Click Here!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: The Ol' Mac vs. PC deal again...

  1. #61
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  2. #62
    Support the Fans SirJW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,291
    Liked
    1101 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    Currently yes you don't need Anti Virus software on a Mac but in the future as Mac gets more and more popular you will run into the same problems that windows faces now. But for now you are safe without it.
    This future you talk about has been in the works for 25 years.

  3. #63
    I'm Cultured, Bitch ianmonsta's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Liked
    372 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    So seriously, I don't have to run an antivirus on a MAC???

    That goes against every single thing I have ever learned about computing in the modern age.
    pretty amazing huh

  4. #64
    #1 fan VEGASKING's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,992
    Liked
    61 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Go to trusted pr0n sites and you don't need one for pc either.

  5. #65
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    This future you talk about has been in the works for 25 years.
    If you say so. It will be funny as hell when a Mac Virus gets put out there and no one has any protection against it because of the false sense of security Apple gives them. It hasn't really been 25 years in the making Apple just doesn't ave enough market share to warrant the attention. IIRC it was a Mac that was hacked in 30 seconds a the last hacker convention.

  6. #66
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    So seriously, I don't have to run an antivirus on a MAC???

    That goes against every single thing I have ever learned about computing in the modern age.
    DRice, I've owned and used macs since at least 1992, and i have NEVER used any anti-virus software, and have been fine. No, it isn't as important to run antivirus on a Mac, but it would be wise if you did it anyway. Kinda like insurance... you don't NEED it, but it is nice, just in case.

  7. #67
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    If you say so. It will be funny as hell when a Mac Virus gets put out there and no one has any protection against it because of the false sense of security Apple gives them. It hasn't really been 25 years in the making Apple just doesn't ave enough market share to warrant the attention. IIRC it was a Mac that was hacked in 30 seconds a the last hacker convention.
    Are you saying that you think the Mac is going to gain major market share in the coming years, which would warrant enough attention to write a mac virus? Cause that is what I am getting from that statement (which I have heard about a million times in the past five years or so). Yet those same people then tell me how the Mac is not going to gain any market share, because it is a "hobby" computer.

    If the mac is not going to gain any major market share (which I believe is the case), then I guess the "security by obscurity" will continue to be true, since the mac isn't going to gain any market share on the PC.

  8. #68
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGK View Post
    Are you saying that you think the Mac is going to gain major market share in the coming years, which would warrant enough attention to write a mac virus? Cause that is what I am getting from that statement (which I have heard about a million times in the past five years or so). Yet those same people then tell me how the Mac is not going to gain any market share, because it is a "hobby" computer.

    If the mac is not going to gain any major market share (which I believe is the case), then I guess the "security by obscurity" will continue to be true, since the mac isn't going to gain any market share on the PC.
    I do believe that Mac is going to gain market share, Just as Linux is Gaining market share. People are looking for alternative computing from Microsoft especially from Vista. Heck MS is hoping to get people to switch to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

  9. #69
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    I do believe that Mac is going to gain market share, Just as Linux is Gaining market share. People are looking for alternative computing from Microsoft especially from Vista. Heck MS is hoping to get people to switch to Windows 7 from Windows XP.
    Fair enough.

    Personally, I don't think that the Mac will ever gain enough market share to warrant the types of attacks that Windows users have endured over the years. That would have to be a HUUUUUGE jump from it's current market share. I don't think that the Mac offers enough of a difference from the Windows experience to create that much of a change.

  10. #70
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    OK found my first roadblock. Have an HP Photosmart 1315 that REFUSES to print anything through OSX. I have installed the drivers, I have installed 3rd party drivers to no avail. I know it works because if I use the utility that installed with it I can print test pages, see how much ink is left, calibrate, etc. I just can't get any other program to print with it. It gets to 7% printing and then stays at "waiting for device". This sucks and has taken up an entire afternoon. So OSX is no better than Windows in my book at the moment. It doesn't "just work".
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28