Click Here!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 96

Thread: The Ol' Mac vs. PC deal again...

  1. #71
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    OK found my first roadblock. Have an HP Photosmart 1315 that REFUSES to print anything through OSX. I have installed the drivers, I have installed 3rd party drivers to no avail. I know it works because if I use the utility that installed with it I can print test pages, see how much ink is left, calibrate, etc. I just can't get any other program to print with it. It gets to 7% printing and then stays at "waiting for device". This sucks and has taken up an entire afternoon. So OSX is no better than Windows in my book at the moment. It doesn't "just work".
    Try changing the driver to a generic postscript driver and see if it prints.

  2. #72
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    397 times
    Karma
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    I get the same ol'

    GenericClass: Waiting for device

    I guess I wouldn't be so frustrated if it wouldn't print at all, but it prints all the tests in the HP utility just fine!
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  3. #73
    The fun in dysfunctional psychopuck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,321
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Try uninstalling any HP software you installed. Reboot & plug the printer in.

  4. #74
    THHHHHTTPD!!!! Bandit's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    15,067
    Liked
    85 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    OK found my first roadblock. Have an HP Photosmart 1315 that REFUSES to print anything through OSX. I have installed the drivers, I have installed 3rd party drivers to no avail. I know it works because if I use the utility that installed with it I can print test pages, see how much ink is left, calibrate, etc. I just can't get any other program to print with it. It gets to 7% printing and then stays at "waiting for device". This sucks and has taken up an entire afternoon. So OSX is no better than Windows in my book at the moment. It doesn't "just work".
    We told you to get a PC.

  5. #75
    OFF the Bandwagon salami's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,772
    Liked
    701 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

    Default

    Too bad I didn't get to post before you made the purchase, but here's my $.02:

    I've always owned PCs. My wife went out and spent $2500 on an iMac 24. It was different, and it seemed to be different only for the sake of being different. While I'm no computer guy, I've been able to ascertain this: It's left brain vs. right brain. If you are doing artsy fartsy stuff, buy a Mac. If you're planning on using it as a business machine, buy a PC. Personally, I'm a business guy, and don't have time to trick a Mac into doing what I want it to do. Now, if I did graphic design, I would likely be singing a different tune.

    Oh yeah, we sold the Mac after 6 months at a $1,000 loss after finding that it wouldn't communicate with our laser printers. Fortunately, we were able to get a bangin' Dell notebook for $800, and have had no problems since.

    As for me and my home, we will purchase PC.

  6. #76
    is watching you.... King Taco's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,178
    Liked
    26 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A 6 month old Mac at a $1000 loss? You gave someone an excellent deal. Macs do not depreciate as fast as PCs, so why the drastic discount?
    Last edited by King Taco; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

  7. #77
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Taco View Post
    A 6 month old Mac at a $1000 loss? You gave someone an excellent deal. Macs do not [depreciate] as fast as PCs, so why the drastic discount?
    I wonder if it would have been cheaper to just buy a new printer?

    Salami, it's interesting that you said you don't have time to trick a mac into doing whatever it is that you want it to do. Mac users often say the exact same thing about PCs. As someone who has worked with both for over a decade, and owned both at times over the years, I always found the PCs more of a struggle to get to do what I want them to do. I know when we had a mixed network at work, we had far more difficulties with the PCs than the Macs. So much more that the students refused to use the PCs, and would rather wait in line for the macs. Eventually, the IT dept got rid of all the Macs, and we now only have a PC environment... one that continues to have problems (although to be fair, the network is also far more complicated than it used to be when we had macs).

    Just like you, I am basing my home computer purchases on my personal experiences with both platforms, and my home will only have macs (with one mac also running XP to use with the few PC programs that I use). Macs aren't perfect, or cheap, but they work for me. And no, I don't do graphic design.

  8. #78
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGK View Post
    I wonder if it would have been cheaper to just buy a new printer?

    Salami, it's interesting that you said you don't have time to trick a mac into doing whatever it is that you want it to do. Mac users often say the exact same thing about PCs. As someone who has worked with both for over a decade, and owned both at times over the years, I always found the PCs more of a struggle to get to do what I want them to do. I know when we had a mixed network at work, we had far more difficulties with the PCs than the Macs. So much more that the students refused to use the PCs, and would rather wait in line for the macs. Eventually, the IT dept got rid of all the Macs, and we now only have a PC environment... one that continues to have problems (although to be fair, the network is also far more complicated than it used to be when we had macs).

    Just like you, I am basing my home computer purchases on my personal experiences with both platforms, and my home will only have macs (with one mac also running XP to use with the few PC programs that I use). Macs aren't perfect, or cheap, but they work for me. And no, I don't do graphic design.
    This is the difference between Mac users and PC users. People that choose PC's don't find Windows a struggle just as Mac users don't find Mac's a Struggle. I use Linux and I don't find it a struggle. it is more of a hobby and fun. the feeling is great when I have to do some work to get things working because I have accomplished something. But that is just me.

    The Reason your IT Department got rid of the macs is the inability to manage macs in a Windows Server environment. It takes 2 times as much work to get Apple to work in a windows environment. and it also costs a lot of money to get the software to put Macs in the Active Directory and to be able to use scripts that map drives and printers. Yes I am speaking from experience. The Mac's may be easier for the end user to use but they will be a pain to the Administrators to manage.

    But in the end a PC user is not going to convert to a Mac user unless they are up to the challenge of learning something new. Just the same applies the other way around. If you enjoy a single button Mouse stay away from Windows if you don't like a single button mouse stick with windows. If you enjoy computing go with Linux there you will have the best of all three computing worlds. Linux can be what you want it to be. If you want simple look at Ubuntu. If you want complex look at Slackware. If you want UNIX install any distribution and remove the x window system.

  9. #79
    OFF the Bandwagon salami's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,772
    Liked
    701 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Taco View Post
    A 6 month old Mac at a $1000 loss? You gave someone an excellent deal. Macs do not depreciate as fast as PCs, so why the drastic discount?

    Well, we just wanted to get that paper weight off the desk and make room for a real computer. OK, there's a little emotion in that statement. However, with the entire business world working in PC, we had to make the change quickly. For example, Excel for Mac is a stripped down version, so we tried to trick the computer into running Office 2007 using Parallels, but that came with its own share of issues. It just became too much of a struggle trying to get the various programs to work on the Mac.

    That being said, I'm not a huge Vista fan either, but I see Mac as the Beta to PC's VHS.

    On the other hand, if we were doing artsy fartsy stuff, we might have a use for a Mac, however, that not being the case, I see no reason to own one.
    Last edited by salami; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

  10. #80
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    397 times
    Karma
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Well, we just wanted to get that paper weight off the desk and make room for a real computer. OK, there's a little emotion in that statement. However, with the entire business world working in PC, we had to make the change quickly. For example, Excel for Mac is a stripped down version, so we tried to trick the computer into running Office 2007 using Parallels, but that came with its own share of issues. It just became too much of a struggle trying to get the various programs to work on the Mac.

    That being said, I'm not a huge Vista fan either, but I see Mac as the Beta to PC's VHS.

    On the other hand, if we were doing artsy fartsy stuff, we might have a use for a Mac, however, that not being the case, I see no reason to own one.
    You say you don't like Vista. Look into getting Windows 7 RC off of Microsofts TechNet. My brother has been using it for months and says its everything Vista was supposed to be. I believe the beta registration code is good until February of 2010 before you have to pay for it.
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28