Click Here!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 96

Thread: The Ol' Mac vs. PC deal again...

  1. #81
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    This is the difference between Mac users and PC users. People that choose PC's don't find Windows a struggle just as Mac users don't find Mac's a Struggle. I use Linux and I don't find it a struggle. it is more of a hobby and fun. the feeling is great when I have to do some work to get things working because I have accomplished something. But that is just me.

    The Reason your IT Department got rid of the macs is the inability to manage macs in a Windows Server environment. It takes 2 times as much work to get Apple to work in a windows environment. and it also costs a lot of money to get the software to put Macs in the Active Directory and to be able to use scripts that map drives and printers. Yes I am speaking from experience. The Mac's may be easier for the end user to use but they will be a pain to the Administrators to manage.

    But in the end a PC user is not going to convert to a Mac user unless they are up to the challenge of learning something new. Just the same applies the other way around. If you enjoy a single button Mouse stay away from Windows if you don't like a single button mouse stick with windows. If you enjoy computing go with Linux there you will have the best of all three computing worlds. Linux can be what you want it to be. If you want simple look at Ubuntu. If you want complex look at Slackware. If you want UNIX install any distribution and remove the x window system.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I was there once. I enjoyed tinkering. I was the only person I knew that actually installed all 4,000 IBM OS/2 disks when it was released just to see what all the fuss was about. It was 'meh' at best.

    Then at my work I reluctantly agreed to 'also' do some of the IT work. Well as you can imagine I have 2 full time jobs there now. So now I hate computers more than ever. I am amazed how people can destroy a machine just trying to print!! Which was why I decided to try the iMac on its 'just works' philosophy. Then my printer wouldn't work. Now I am 100% convinced that nobody on this planet makes anything that 'just works' anymore.

    'Tis a sad day, indeed.
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  2. #82
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    This is the difference between Mac users and PC users. People that choose PC's don't find Windows a struggle just as Mac users don't find Mac's a Struggle. I use Linux and I don't find it a struggle. it is more of a hobby and fun. the feeling is great when I have to do some work to get things working because I have accomplished something. But that is just me.
    I understand that, and to an extent, I used to be there too. I used to love tinkering with my computers, and even installed Linux once, just to check it out. I do things just to see how they work, then lose interest once I get them to work. A lot of it is "just because." A lot of it is because I am a nerd. Sometimes I think there is not much of a difference.

    The Reason your IT Department got rid of the macs is the inability to manage macs in a Windows Server environment. It takes 2 times as much work to get Apple to work in a windows environment. and it also costs a lot of money to get the software to put Macs in the Active Directory and to be able to use scripts that map drives and printers. Yes I am speaking from experience. The Mac's may be easier for the end user to use but they will be a pain to the Administrators to manage.
    We actually have a few macs still on the networks, and they work fine. The macs never were, and still are not, connected to a file server. That's part of why they were so easy to work with. All they needed was an internet connection, and we were happy. No malware, no slowing down, they just worked. We fought for years to keep them, but we eventually lost after a few years. And judging by the number of times the network goes down, or slows down, each week, I imagine managing an all windows network isn't a piece of cake either. While the network is much better for the PC side these days, it is still a pain in the ass when they decide to work on the server during working hours (we are operating 24 hours a day, every day).

    But in the end a PC user is not going to convert to a Mac user unless they are up to the challenge of learning something new. Just the same applies the other way around. If you enjoy a single button Mouse stay away from Windows if you don't like a single button mouse stick with windows. If you enjoy computing go with Linux there you will have the best of all three computing worlds. Linux can be what you want it to be. If you want simple look at Ubuntu. If you want complex look at Slackware. If you want UNIX install any distribution and remove the x window system.
    Macs come with multi-button mouses, and have for a few years now. And even when they didn't, buy a $15 mouse at Best buy. I haven't used a one button mouse on the mac since about System 7 or so.

    I have said for years now, and I still say now, buy whatever serves your needs best. You are pretty much saying the same thing.

  3. #83
    Dyno-Mite!! StoneGK's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    18 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I was there once. I enjoyed tinkering. I was the only person I knew that actually installed all 4,000 IBM OS/2 disks when it was released just to see what all the fuss was about. It was 'meh' at best.

    Then at my work I reluctantly agreed to 'also' do some of the IT work. Well as you can imagine I have 2 full time jobs there now. So now I hate computers more than ever. I am amazed how people can destroy a machine just trying to print!! Which was why I decided to try the iMac on its 'just works' philosophy. Then my printer wouldn't work. Now I am 100% convinced that nobody on this planet makes anything that 'just works' anymore.

    'Tis a sad day, indeed.
    I used to run the computer lab at work years ago. It was a piece of junk, and I organized it all, and used parts from broken computers to make enough functioning computers for classes to come in and work. I only ran the lab for about a year or so, but it was YEARS before people stopped calling me for their computer problems instead of the IT team. Moving to an all PC network was a blessing in disguise, because then I just claimed I only worked on macs, and they started calling IT instead of me. LIke both of you, much of my time was spent fixing goofy mistakes (like sticking two cds in the slot drives at the same time).

  4. #84
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    OK, now I am starting to regret my purchase. I gave up on my HP Photosmart 1315 and purchased a brand new Canon MX860 AIO that is; a) sold on the Apple.com website; and b) is given great reviews by many, many MAC owners.

    After 3 hours, I still can't print over the network. The printer has been installed, reinstalled, overinstalled, underinstalled and it still sits at "offline". Add a Printer refuses to recognize it. It will only recognize the scanner via bonjour.

    I am starting to hate this 'just works' machine. I just want to print from all of my machines to one printer. Thats it! Nothing 'magical'. Computers have been doing it for years. Ugh. Frustration is setting in.
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  5. #85
    is watching you.... King Taco's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,178
    Liked
    26 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Which router are you using?

  6. #86
    THHHHHTTPD!!!! Bandit's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    15,067
    Liked
    85 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    OK, now I am starting to regret my purchase. I gave up on my HP Photosmart 1315 and purchased a brand new Canon MX860 AIO that is; a) sold on the Apple.com website; and b) is given great reviews by many, many MAC owners.

    After 3 hours, I still can't print over the network. The printer has been installed, reinstalled, overinstalled, underinstalled and it still sits at "offline". Add a Printer refuses to recognize it. It will only recognize the scanner via bonjour.

    I am starting to hate this 'just works' machine. I just want to print from all of my machines to one printer. Thats it! Nothing 'magical'. Computers have been doing it for years. Ugh. Frustration is setting in.
    No offense here, but if you seriously can't get this to work you should just return the computer, move to Montana, and turn your back on technology altogether. I mean honestly, if it's a) sold on the Apple.com website; and b) is given great reviews by many, many MAC owners, then c) you are the one ****ing it up.

  7. #87
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    No offense here, but if you seriously can't get this to work you should just return the computer, move to Montana, and turn your back on technology altogether. I mean honestly, if it's a) sold on the Apple.com website; and b) is given great reviews by many, many MAC owners, then c) you are the one ****ing it up.
    Heh. I was thinking about it. Seriously!

    But it turns out it's not me. Apparently Snow Leopard makes this printer unusable via wifi or ethernet. I upgraded my iMac to SL and it doesn't work. I didn't upgrade my wifes MacBook and it works fantastically! Some googling turned up that except for the people that prayed to the correct computer gods most everyone is having this same problem. Sigh. Back to my 'why don't they make **** that just works' rant.
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  8. #88
    BlackAces
    Guest

    Default

    Here is another reason:
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/146...FkAUUuk6rPMZA5

    Linux Rocks and there are many varieties....google it and check out.......Graphics are very cool........you tube and you will "see" what it can do! Stable, ROck Solid, Unix Kernal.......oh the joy.....however, a bit of a learning curve.....and you will not need a beast of a machine to run it fast and efficiently! amazing!

  9. #89
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    399 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
    Here is another reason:
    "Fatal flaw" in Windows 7 raising eyebrows : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

    Linux Rocks and there are many varieties....google it and check out.......Graphics are very cool........you tube and you will "see" what it can do! Stable, ROck Solid, Unix Kernal.......oh the joy.....however, a bit of a learning curve.....and you will not need a beast of a machine to run it fast and efficiently! amazing!
    Oh no! A memory leak in a function hardly anybody uses. And on top of it, you have to use it in a special way that brings the chances of it happening even lower. This will be fixed in a patch. No biggie. OS's have patches to overcome deficiencies all the time. Windows, OSX, Linux included.

    Or are you seriously telling me that nothing EVER goes wrong with Linux?

    I submit exhibit A: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-client-errata.html
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  10. #90
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
    Here is another reason:
    "Fatal flaw" in Windows 7 raising eyebrows : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

    Linux Rocks and there are many varieties....google it and check out.......Graphics are very cool........you tube and you will "see" what it can do! Stable, ROck Solid, Unix Kernal.......oh the joy.....however, a bit of a learning curve.....and you will not need a beast of a machine to run it fast and efficiently! amazing!
    I agree 100% Linux Rocks

    DRice I was serious when I said you should look into Linux a while back Linux will work pretty much on all printers wireless, wired or local. Yes there are tons of choices on which distribution to use Ubuntu is the best one to introduce a user to Linux with as it is the easiest to learn. There are magazines dedicated to Ubuntu currently (Linux Journal, but only because it is the most popular distro) there is a lot more support for Ubuntu on the web than Mac, and the people that support open source software tend to be the Developers of the software not some lame tech support kid that is following a written script. Ubuntu Linux does have a support line as well for the extremely hard to find problem. And the support lines are seasoned engineers that live Ubuntu.

    Oh yea did I mention it is free!!! you can down load it or you can order a Free CD from their website.

    you can also test run the OS by booting from the CD before you install it. And most importantly it is the most stable OS out there Aside from UNIX and it runs on just about all the hardware out there. There are specialized hardware that may not work but that will soon change.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28