Click Here!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: The Ol' Mac vs. PC deal again...

  1. #1
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    395 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default The Ol' Mac vs. PC deal again...

    Ok, so here's the deal. I need to upgrade. I have looked at iMac's. I have looked at Dell's. I have looked at HP's.

    I may be lost, but can someone tell me why I should spend almost $1000 more for a comparably equipped Apple?

    Now, before you say 'security', 'virus', or 'spyware' let me say a couple things. First off, I have used PC's since my first 'XT' in the early 80's to an 286, 386, Pentium, Pentium II all the way up to a Pentium 4 and I can honestly say in all that time I have 'contracted' exactly 2 virus's. And they were both 'zero hour' on legit websites. Secondly, if I get a PC its going to run Windows 7 64bit. Microsoft's most secure OS yet. Thirdly, I read the reports. Apple may have 'better' security, but it isn't exactly bulletproof so you need to come up with something better than that because it hasn't been a problem for me.

    Also, I spend time reading forums and such and it's pretty scary to read some of the problems people are having with their iMacs! 3rd and 4th hard drives, lock ups, shut downs, dead units, etc. So I guess you can't say 'superior quality hardware' because they probably come out of the same 3rd world country sweatshops that PC's do.

    So besides a pretty box and the fact that I can brag to my friends I got an Apple, tell me what makes these $600-$1000 more than a hardware comparable PC?
    LA Kings Hockey - Disappointing Kings fans since 1967!

    LA Kings Hockey - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!

  2. #2
    Where is my mind? PuckMonkey's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,454
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Just buy a PC.

  3. #3
    Trouble Will Find Me Big Red's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,920
    Liked
    635 times
    Karma
    1017137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Default

    osx is a joy to use. windows on the other hand....well that usually just stops working whenever it feels like it.

    in terms of the price difference, i don't think its as great as you're making it out to be. Dell makes an all in one computer thats similar to the imac that's similarly priced. i don't think its fair to compare an imac to a regular tower pc because with an imac you're getting a screen (and a damn good one at that).

    however, at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference. some people love pcs, some people love macs. go to an apple store and play around with a mac. you may just like it
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

    "I love this f***ing team right here."

  4. #4
    Waiting for the night Creeping Death's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,411
    Liked
    182 times
    Karma
    1040100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Go research hackintosh, and find a new Dell that is easy to load OSX on. That way you can run Windows 7 or use OSX, and get the best of both worlds.
    And thats how you get ants!

  5. #5
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    395 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nayagamj View Post
    osx is a joy to use. windows on the other hand....well that usually just stops working whenever it feels like it.

    in terms of the price difference, i don't think its as great as you're making it out to be. Dell makes an all in one computer thats similar to the imac that's similarly priced. i don't think its fair to compare an imac to a regular tower pc because with an imac you're getting a screen (and a damn good one at that).

    however, at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference. some people love pcs, some people love macs. go to an apple store and play around with a mac. you may just like it
    The comparable Dell comes with a 24" widescreen monitor so it is fair.

    Oh, and I can't remember the last time my Windows software 'stopped working'.

    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by DRice; August 13th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Trouble Will Find Me Big Red's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,920
    Liked
    635 times
    Karma
    1017137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    The comparable Dell comes with a 24" widescreen monitor so it is fair.

    Oh, and I can't remember the last time my Windows software 'stopped working'.

    Posted via Mobile Device
    is it an all-in-one unit? i know that the all in one 19 inch dell is around the same price as the all-in-one 20 inch imac. i don't think you can compare a regular tower setup to an all-in-one computer.
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

    "I love this f***ing team right here."

  7. #7
    I'm Cultured, Bitch ianmonsta's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Liked
    372 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    I may be lost, but can someone tell me why I should spend almost $1000 more for a comparably equipped Apple?
    Because they are a better product, i say this as a user of both.

    Before i got my Macbook Pro i swore up and down how much i hated Macs, now that i'm a year into owning it, if you are doing any kind of design work Macs are the way to go. If you just need a computer for basic internet browsing, email and office stuff then maybe spending the extra grand isnt as justifyable.
    Last edited by ianmonsta; August 13th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

  8. #8
    THE BIG MORT DIZZLE spjon25's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,794
    Liked
    68 times
    Karma
    1021200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

    Default

    DRice, I will say this. I have used both PC's and Macs, and have friends who are IT's at large (read very large) multinational companies. My friends have made the move to mac because of the ease of use of the OS and how easy it was to learn.

    Personally, I like my computers simple and do not do too much with them. For me it was convenience (only one unit takes up less space than CPU and monitor), Financial (teacher discount and iPod touch came free pretty much), and it will be easier for my son to use when he is old enough. I don't buy computers often so dropping 1500 on an iMac was pretty good for me.

    If I was like my wife, and always wants to change then I would go PC. I will say this, the customer support for APPLE---TOP NOTCH

  9. #9
    Still here.... DRice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,966
    Liked
    395 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmonsta View Post
    Because they are a better product, i say this as a user of both.

    Before i got my Macbook Pro i swore up and down how much i hated Macs, now that i'm a year into owning it, if you are doing any kind of design work Macs are the way to go. If you just need a computer for basic internet browsing, email and office stuff then maybe spending the extra grand isnt as justifyable.
    A better product. In what way? Hardware? Software? I can go online right now and find post after post of people with problems with their iMacs and software. Can you expand on that? I want some someone to give me a compelling reason to spend the extra money.

    Something more than "it's better".
    Posted via Mobile Device

  10. #10
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Spend your money on Hardware and install Linux you can make it look like either Windows and Mac :D and the software is free!! I can give you tons of reasons to go with Linux but you aren't asking about it.

    It all depends on what you do with the computer and your personal preference. Security and Stability isn't as much of an issue anymore. Windows 7 so far has shown it is stable. The stability of a computer depend on how a user uses their system. But what it reallys comes down to is which OS you feel comfortable with. do you have software packages that one OS doesn't have that you like to use. If so there is your answer, but if not hang out at a Mac store of go to frys and play with the Macs and compare them to the PC and see which one you like better.
    Last edited by RoyalPain; August 13th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28