Click Here!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Optical Cables

  1. #21
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,254
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Oh I would LOVE to make fun of you all day long - but I did the very same thing with my first opitical cable some 12 years ago. It did look like it was part of the cable, and I just didn't understand how it wouldn't fit right.

    Keep in mind with optical cables - they are fragile. Not extremely fragile, mind you, but if you do bend them sharply, they can break inside. It's pretty much just a fiber optic line in the middle of some insulation.

  2. #22
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,254
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsomemore View Post
    Interesting....for what Monster charges for its stuff I'm surprised that they don't have their own store! lol!
    I think having your own retail space is what drives you to have to make more money on stuff like cables.

  3. #23
    is busy cogitating. Winsomemore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,302
    Liked
    79 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrycan View Post
    Oh I would LOVE to make fun of you all day long - but I did the very same thing with my first opitical cable some 12 years ago. It did look like it was part of the cable, and I just didn't understand how it wouldn't fit right.

    Keep in mind with optical cables - they are fragile. Not extremely fragile, mind you, but if you do bend them sharply, they can break inside. It's pretty much just a fiber optic line in the middle of some insulation.
    That was going through my mind too. I remembered reading that they are more fragile than other types of cables. I thought if I damaged the darn thing Fry's wouldn't take it back.

  4. #24
    is busy cogitating. Winsomemore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,302
    Liked
    79 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrycan View Post
    I think having your own retail space is what drives you to have to make more money on stuff like cables.
    True. But Monster has been charging ridiculously high prices for years now. Way before fiber optic, HDMI, et al...their audio cables were way overpriced.

  5. #25
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,254
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsomemore View Post
    True. But Monster has been charging ridiculously high prices for years now. Way before fiber optic, HDMI, et al...their audio cables were way overpriced.
    They're price fixed at retail - nothing more than that. It's like Apple - you pay for the branding (errr . . . R & D costs . . . yeah, that's it!). I used to work at Best Buy, and at cost +10%, which is what employees pay, Monster cables were roughly about 35% of retail price. That goes to show you the markup on them.

  6. #26
    is busy cogitating. Winsomemore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,302
    Liked
    79 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Buy low, sell high! heh!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28