Click Here!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Stolen iPod...

  1. #11
    CSUF Class of 2011 HattrickTR's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    631
    Liked
    48 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrycan View Post
    Aren't the songs stored on the actual iPod nothing more than copies of the original purchased music on the host computer?
    Yes they are.

    And no, iTunes does not relay serial numbers of connecting iPods to Apple, there is no way to track an iPod connecting to a different computer UNLESS the iPod is wiped clean and re-registered (which i don't even know if it's possible to do)

    Sorry to hear about that

  2. #12
    Trouble Will Find Me Big Red's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,920
    Liked
    636 times
    Karma
    1017137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    Don't leave gadgets in plain sight in your car. Lesson learned.
    don't be an ass
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

    "I love this f***ing team right here."

  3. #13
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,333
    Liked
    32 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nayagamj View Post
    don't be an ass
    http://www.santabarbaranewsroom.com/...-vehicles.html

    In an effort to drive home the risk of leaving valuables in a parked vehicle, the Santa Barbara Police Department staged a mock car burglary Thursday morning.

    With a scrum of TV and newspaper cameras at the ready, a detective posing as a car thief shattered the window of a car on loan from Allstate Insurance, and then made off with a laptop computer.

    “It is surprisingly easy to break into a car if you have the right tool,” said Lt. Paul McCaffrey, the spokesman of the Santa Barbara Police Department.

    The toothbrush-sized implement used by Detective Craig Rullman is known as a spring-loaded window punch.

    Lt. McCaffrey said the number of car thefts in Santa Barbara can reach one a day during the summer months, which tend to be more crime-ridden.

    Patrick Torsney of Allstate Insurance said the damage to the car amounted to just over $251.60. If a person has a $250 deductible, he said, the insurance company would cover only $1.60.

    The moral of the story is simple: Do not leave valuables inside a parked car. Thieves are often lying in wait nearby, perhaps in the bushes near a popular hiking trail, or in the shadows near the parking lot of a gym, watching for people who leave purses, wallets and iPods in their vehicles.

    “We don’t want to make people paranoid, but that little extra prevention can really help you out,” Torsney said.
    Kinda ironic no. I read this on Friday.

  4. #14
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,254
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fooferah View Post
    Yeah, but let's say your house gets robbed. They take your electronics... iPods, computers, etc. Now say you have downloaded a hundred songs from iTunes over whatever period of time. You're out $100. As far as I know, they don't let you recover those files even though you've paid for them.
    I'm not sure they should. I mean . . . who's to say what it completely replaceable? With iTunes files, you TECHNICALLY could back them up and store them somewhere safe. Anyone who's spent hundreds of dollars could easily back up those things on a simple jump drive and keep them in a place no one could find them.

    Think of how things "used to be", where you have a tower full of CDs that you purchased legally and were stolen. You certainly don't have any extra rights outside of insurance to reclaim that property.

    I keep two backups of my purchased online music - one on an external harddrive (it's hidden, but connected, so anyone with enough effort and time is going to take it along with the computer) and on a flash drive that is hidden.

    I'll be honest, if I were to lost them all in a theft, or worse, a fire or something like that, getting my iTunes music back is probably very low on the list of things I'll worry about.

    It's all about the porn.

  5. #15
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,006
    Liked
    27734 times
    Karma
    105058176
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    Don't leave gadgets in plain sight in your car. Lesson learned.
    Both the iPod and the charger were in my center console compartment. They also took several CDs full of picture files, an arm-band radio, my parking pass to the BUR airport, a pair of ray-ban sunglasses, and a pack of gum. The only thing that was "in plain sight" was a half-empty bottle of water.

    Don't talk out your ass when you don't know what the real situation was. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by FBJ; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:00 AM.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  6. #16
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,006
    Liked
    27734 times
    Karma
    105058176
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HattrickTR View Post
    Yes they are.

    And no, iTunes does not relay serial numbers of connecting iPods to Apple, there is no way to track an iPod connecting to a different computer UNLESS the iPod is wiped clean and re-registered (which i don't even know if it's possible to do)

    Sorry to hear about that
    I spoke with Apple yesterday. The person I spoke with said that, in fact, iTunes does record the latest iPod's serial number that is used with iTunes and it does transmit that data with the iPod.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  7. #17
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,006
    Liked
    27734 times
    Karma
    105058176
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    178 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fooferah View Post
    Yeah, but let's say your house gets robbed. They take your electronics... iPods, computers, etc. Now say you have downloaded a hundred songs from iTunes over whatever period of time. You're out $100. As far as I know, they don't let you recover those files even though you've paid for them.

    Wasn't this a topic here a while back? It seems so familiar. Or maybe it was that my roommate at the time of the apartment theft asked the insurance co. about it.
    The songs are still on your iTunes account and can be synched to the new iPod. I just did this very thing with my new one yesterday.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  8. #18
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,333
    Liked
    32 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets View Post
    Both the iPod and the charger were in my center console compartment. They also took several CDs full of picture files, an arm-band radio, my parking pass to the BUR airport, a pair of ray-ban sunglasses, and a pack of gum. The only thing that was "in plain sight" was a half-empty bottle of water.

    Don't talk out your ass when you don't know what the real situation was. Lesson learned.
    I also have a half empty water bottle in my car. Well, that is all I have. My valuables are right next to me in my cube.

  9. #19
    Ciao! Fooferah's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,646
    Liked
    2 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets View Post
    The songs are still on your iTunes account and can be synched to the new iPod. I just did this very thing with my new one yesterday.
    But you could only do this because you still have your computer with your iTunes on it, right? If your computer, with your iTunes loaded on it, was stolen in addition to your iPod how would you reload the files you lost (assuming no backup)?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrycan View Post
    Think of how things "used to be", where you have a tower full of CDs that you purchased legally and were stolen. You certainly don't have any extra rights outside of insurance to reclaim that property.
    Right... your insurance co. can reimburse you for actual stolen CDs, but downloaded files are in a grey area.

  10. #20
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,254
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fooferah View Post
    Right... your insurance co. can reimburse you for actual stolen CDs, but downloaded files are in a grey area.
    But again, there are plenty of options available to consumers to make this issue completely moot. I certainly wouldn't want to wade into a dispute over something that I can easily prevent with just a couple minutes of work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28