Click Here!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 112

Thread: Warner to go Blu-Ray Exclusive

  1. #21
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    About space - Nonstarter for movies anyway. 30 GB movies on HD-DVDs are getting great reviews in picture quality.
    What titles?

    dgrycan, dgrycan, dgrycan. Where for art thou, dgrycan?
    Last edited by Unfiltered; January 4th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

  2. #22
    Stalker of Padma No One's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,768
    Liked
    49 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    and no, I don't regret the purchase of my 5000 (yet). The PQ is amazing.

    All they need to do is fix the sound, and if people want to give me their HD-DVD's, I'm game.

    and I really don't care about the interactive features and the PiP. All the PiP means that I am losing the lossless audio as it gets reencoded to DTS.

  3. #23
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,333
    Liked
    32 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfiltered View Post
    What titles?
    Transformers. Bourne Ultimatum... Shrek the 3rd.. Blade Runner

  4. #24
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    Transformers. Bourne Ultimatum... Shrek the 3rd.. Blade Runner
    Sorry, go. I misread (and misquoted) your post as if you were saying HD DVD titles were getting better PQ reviews than BR with format neutral releases.

    With HD DVD, I've never been against the image and sound quality of the format. I have been visually and audibly impressed by them. I would never (purposely) argue that HD DVD titles aren't getting great reviews. I'm not that blind.

    Annnnd, things continue to spin out of control for the HD DVD folks...

    HD DVD Promo Group Cancels CES Press Conference
    Last edited by Unfiltered; January 4th, 2008 at 08:21 PM.

  5. #25
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,333
    Liked
    32 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfiltered View Post

    Annnnd, things continue to spin out of control for the HD DVD folks...

    HD DVD Promo Group Cancels CES Press Conference
    Yeah they are not going to have a good weekend... Scrambling methinks.

  6. #26
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,207
    Liked
    1936 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    Nasti - And yet Transformers still got 5 out of 5 in sound quality at High Def Digest. The vast majority of people 99% don't even own a system to hear a difference anyway.
    But you are talking about better technology and I'm saying that HD DVD isn't the better technology. I just gave you an example of why. 99% of the people don't have a sound system to hear the difference just like 99% of the people buying movies don't care about PIP, which by the way Blu-ray can do now. BD-Java (Blu-ray's version of HDi) is ready and in use. The first movies with PIP have been released now. I work in the DVD industry. I've already gotten word that a bunch of movies that Warner released only on HD because of HDi are now being prepped for BD because BD-J is ready.

    Again, we're talking technology here. How about having your special features in HD and on only 1 disc? How about not needing a huge box full of discs when you buy a season of a TV show because 1 or 2 BD discs is all that's needed? How about using BD discs to store personal files? 50gb sounds better than 30. How about when game developers get more familiar with BD and create games that can only fit on those discs?

    Oh yeah, and Blu-ray has better piracy prevention.

  7. #27
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    But you are talking about better technology and I'm saying that HD DVD isn't the better technology. I just gave you an example of why. 99% of the people don't have a sound system to hear the difference just like 99% of the people buying movies don't care about PIP, which by the way Blu-ray can do now. BD-Java (Blu-ray's version of HDi) is ready and in use. The first movies with PIP have been released now. I work in the DVD industry. I've already gotten word that a bunch of movies that Warner released only on HD because of HDi are now being prepped for BD because BD-J is ready.

    Again, we're talking technology here. How about having your special features in HD and on only 1 disc? How about not needing a huge box full of discs when you buy a season of a TV show because 1 or 2 BD discs is all that's needed? How about using BD discs to store personal files? 50gb sounds better than 30. How about when game developers get more familiar with BD and create games that can only fit on those discs?

    Oh yeah, and Blu-ray has better piracy prevention.

    Nasti - When it comes to either format, the first thing anyone should yearn for is great audio and video, and both formats provide that in spades. (If the authoring is done correctly. Both sides have their fair share of problematic titles.)

    For me, as a fan of the movies I buy, I want to see lots of solid behind-the-scenes goodies. I don't mean the PiP or web-linked content. I'm talking about VFX breakdowns, interviews, commentary, etc. So, while the PiP content was quite novel, it was never a deciding factor of which format I preferred. (In fact, popped Resident Evil: Extinction in last night and tested out the PiP. While it works as it should, just as the similar feature does on some HD DVD titles, it still doesn't mean enough to me to use it as a selling point.)

    Because audio/video quality and BTS stuff is what I think sells the film buff, storage capacity IS the reason to go with BR over HD DVD. Now that WB is exclusive, I'm sure they will utilize the extra space that comes with the 50GB discs to increase video encodes above all.

    That has always been an issue with BR supporters: format neutral studios are using the same encodes on both formats for the same title due to HD DVDs space limitations, and studios not wanting to waste time encoding just for BR.

    While that may be true, I have always been impressed with most neutral releases. I viewed both formats of Blade Runner and they're both equally stunning. The reviewers at High Def Digest Dot Com agree, as they always "cross-pollinate" their neutral format reviews with the other's details, and they generally review the same: if one is sub-par, the other usually follows suit.

    But this idea that WB didn't take a payout is total bull****. They did, just Paramount did. What needs to be said is that BOTH CAMPS were trying to sway WB with incentives this week, whether that be cash or otherwise. This decision was decided within a matter of hours the past couple of days, based dealings that started this week. Period. I have some connections that have fed me this info, and have been confirmed through other sources. (I think some other dotcommers are reporting the same thing.)

    Bottomline, hopefully, this will end the format war and BR will survive. I also hope not too many folks lose their jobs over the exclusivity. I don't mean the suits. I mean the "You" and "I's." The strike is causing enough of that ****.
    Last edited by Unfiltered; January 4th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.

  8. #28
    FootKnight
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfiltered View Post
    But this idea that WB didn't take a payout is total bull****. They did, just Paramount did. What needs to be said is that BOTH CAMPS were trying to sway WB with incentives this week, whether that be cash or otherwise. This decision was decided within a matter of hours the past couple of days, based dealings that started this week. Period. I have some connections that have fed me this info, and have been confirmed through other sources. (I think some other dotcommers are reporting the same thing.)
    There's no doubt in my mind there was some incentive from the BR camp to Warner, but the biggest thing is that Warner was a large part of HD DVD sales. They were working with Toshiba and have now switched. I had heard rumors of a BR exclusive studio going neutral, but after this Warner switch I don't think that will happen.

  9. #29
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,207
    Liked
    1936 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfiltered View Post
    Nasti - When it comes to either format, the first thing anyone should yearn for is great audio and video, and both formats provide that in spades. (If the authoring is done correctly. Both sides have their fair share of problematic titles.)

    For me, as a fan of the movies I buy, I want to see lots of solid behind-the-scenes goodies. I don't mean the PiP or web-linked content. I'm talking about VFX breakdowns, interviews, commentary, etc. So, while the PiP content was quite novel, it was never a deciding factor of which format I preferred. (In fact, popped Resident Evil: Extinction in last night and tested out the PiP. While it works as it should, just as the similar feature does on some HD DVD titles, it still doesn't mean enough to me to use it as a selling point.)

    Because audio/video quality and BTS stuff is what I think sells the film buff, storage capacity IS the reason to go with BR over HD DVD. Now that WB is exclusive, I'm sure they will utilize the extra space that comes with the 50GB discs to increase video encodes above all.

    That has always been an issue with BR supporters: format neutral studios are using the same encodes on both formats for the same title due to HD DVDs space limitations, and studios not wanting to waste time encoding just for BR.

    While that may be true, I have always been impressed with most neutral releases. I viewed both formats of Blade Runner and they're both equally stunning. The reviewers at High Def Digest Dot Com agree, as they always "cross-pollinate" their neutral format reviews with the other's details, and they generally review the same: if one is sub-par, the other usually follows suit.

    But this idea that WB didn't take a payout is total bull****. They did, just Paramount did. What needs to be said is that BOTH CAMPS were trying to sway WB with incentives this week, whether that be cash or otherwise. This decision was decided within a matter of hours the past couple of days, based dealings that started this week. Period. I have some connections that have fed me this info, and have been confirmed through other sources. (I think some other dotcommers are reporting the same thing.)

    Bottomline, hopefully, this will end the format war and BR will survive. I also hope not too many folks lose their jobs over the exclusivity. I don't mean the suits. I mean the "You" and "I's." The strike is causing enough of that ****.
    I'm not sure if you're implying that I said they didn't take a payment from Sony. If so I never said that. Though, if they did, I would think that they would want more money from Toshiba since in the long run choosing the format that's doing better is better for business.

    As far as jobs go, I unfortunately think this will have an impact. For me personally though, I think it will benefit my company since sales should only go up with less confusion. We deal with both formats so either one winning is ok.

  10. #30
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    I'm not sure if you're implying that I said they didn't take a payment from Sony. If so I never said that. Though, if they did, I would think that they would want more money from Toshiba since in the long run choosing the format that's doing better is better for business.

    As far as jobs go, I unfortunately think this will have an impact. For me personally though, I think it will benefit my company since sales should only go up with less confusion. We deal with both formats so either one winning is ok.

    Oh, no, I wasn't implying you made a comment about a payout. That was just a fault of me posting that info while replying to you.

    And there was a payout, regardless of what WB states.

    Variety Confirms New Line's Switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    Warner's move leaves only Paramount and Universal squarely in the HD DVD camp. Sony, Fox, Disney and Lionsgate all back Blu-ray. Warner sister company New Line confirmed it will shift allegiance to Blu-ray only as well.
    Ouch. That New Line confirmation came sooner than expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    and no, I don't regret the purchase of my 5000 (yet). The PQ is amazing.

    All they need to do is fix the sound, and if people want to give me their HD-DVD's, I'm game.

    and I really don't care about the interactive features and the PiP. All the PiP means that I am losing the lossless audio as it gets reencoded to DTS.
    And the deal you got on your Yammy will more than make up for the extra cash.

    Besides, the 5000 is supposed to have one of the better video decoders out there. Also, having a combo HD player is not like having a DVD/TV combo. If the DVD player or the TV craps out, that's a ****ty situation to deal with. If a format goes away, you just stop buying/renting that format. If they both went away, well, everyone who has one of those single format players gets burned too.
    Last edited by Unfiltered; January 4th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28