Click Here!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Ankle sprains....lamest injury ever

  1. #1
    feels good O'Fuego's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    Liked
    139 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ankle sprains....lamest injury ever

    So I sprained my ankle pretty bad, damn near a tear I guess, and I'm out for 2-4 weeks. Very frustrating because while there is some pain, I feel like I could definatley go on it. I mean when I tore my knee in football, that was a no question I'm hurt and I can't play. But this is a deceptive little bastard.

    And now I'm stuck for the next few weeks watching my team...I hate this. I just want to play man.

    Anyone else had a bad sprain and how long did it take you til it healed completely? Is there anything you've tried and recommend for adding support while in skates so it doesn't happen again?

  2. #2
    Win it again..for Tanner! nosoupforyou's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,662
    Liked
    1285 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)

    Default

    take a walker onto the ice with you. make sure you put the tennis balls on the bottom as to not tear up the ice too much.

  3. #3
    Thanks for the memories Unruely35's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,170
    Liked
    178 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    So, someone bitched out after a save and decided on the next play to skate full speed though the slot, take a shot blocker side, then run my husband over full speed. (Yes, two goalies - one house - good times.)

    So, Mr. Ruely, who was in the classic butterfly position... or maybe more of a moth (It might remind you of a butterfly, but it's not all right...), anyway, it was the best butterfly his fat ass could muster and this guy just came at him full speed over the top. As you could probably visualize

    THIS GUY



    bending in half so his mask touches his skates before his feet whiplash out in front is not gonna be a good look.

    "Sprained" ankle to the Dr. was pain and swelling in all of the muscles and tendons around the front of his foot from ankle to ankle.

    Well, my husband (also known around these parts as Captain Brilliant...) tried to go the next night saying he felt better and with a brace he would be ok. Yeah, 10 minutes into the first period I got dressed and finished the game for him. He was out for two months.

    Do what the Dr. says. Ice it, raise it, and don't be a hero. LOL

  4. #4
    feels good O'Fuego's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    Liked
    139 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unruely35 View Post
    So, someone bitched out after a save and decided on the next play to skate full speed though the slot, take a shot blocker side, then run my husband over full speed. (Yes, two goalies - one house - good times.)

    So, Mr. Ruely, who was in the classic butterfly position... or maybe more of a moth (It might remind you of a butterfly, but it's not all right...), anyway, it was the best butterfly his fat ass could muster and this guy just came at him full speed over the top. As you could probably visualize

    THIS GUY



    bending in half so his mask touches his skates before his feet whiplash out in front is not gonna be a good look.

    "Sprained" ankle to the Dr. was pain and swelling in all of the muscles and tendons around the front of his foot from ankle to ankle.

    Well, my husband (also known around these parts as Captain Brilliant...) tried to go the next night saying he felt better and with a brace he would be ok. Yeah, 10 minutes into the first period I got dressed and finished the game for him. He was out for two months.

    Do what the Dr. says. Ice it, raise it, and don't be a hero. LOL

    The part that stood out to me was when you said that you dressed and finished the game for him. Your husband is truly lucky to have a wife that appreciates the fine sport of hockey () and is gung ho enough to jump out on the ice in his stead to preserve to honor of the house of Ruely. I've been trying to get my girl out on the ice for sometime but to no avail.

  5. #5
    Gunga galunga. 4/10/82's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Liked
    107 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    i'm going to second ruely's "don't be a hero advice." a few years back i had a nasty knee-to-knee while playing defense with a guy coming around behind the net. i felt a little wonky on the knee for a while and lamely limped through the rest of the game. spent the next week walking a little funny, but i've got bum knees going way back, so what's a little more pain, you know?
    next game i jump on the ice, a little more gingerly than normal, but giving it a go. tried to do a hockey stop, my leg buckled under me, and long story long, severely sprained mcl, out for the season.
    let it heal. when you feel strong on it, maybe use some tape for a while for a little help, but if you NEED it, you prolly shouldn't be on the rink.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the memories Unruely35's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,170
    Liked
    178 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElFuego View Post
    The part that stood out to me was when you said that you dressed and finished the game for him. Your husband is truly lucky to have a wife that appreciates the fine sport of hockey () and is gung ho enough to jump out on the ice in his stead to preserve to honor of the house of Ruely. I've been trying to get my girl out on the ice for sometime but to no avail.
    Well, as you can see from the pic, we're strictly roller in the house of Ruely. With two kids in all of their activities we go where we play for free. Roller appreciates the goaltender. Oh, and the other option was have one of the refs (who is a goalie) dress. Im like WAY better than him so really... it was just a smarter choice for the team.

    I guess that makes the act just a little less awesome.

  7. #7
    Muffisher mudfisher's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,710
    Liked
    519 times
    Karma
    1100000
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Default

    It's roller...The whiffle ball of hockey.

  8. #8
    feels good O'Fuego's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    Liked
    139 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Officially off the crutches and I can start skating again by middle of next week. STOKED!

  9. #9
    3rd Line Role Player Kings>Ducks's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    50
    Liked
    4 times
    Karma
    1010000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I had a bad sprain earlier this year playing basketball. The Doc said about 2 or 3 weeks. It took more like 3 months. I still have minor swelling 9 months later.
    I would recommend taping your ankle under your socks when you skate. I also taped up my skate around the ankle with clear tape.
    I hope you get back sooner than I did!!

  10. #10
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,789
    Liked
    108 times
    Karma
    4000000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kings>Ducks View Post
    I had a bad sprain earlier this year playing basketball. The Doc said about 2 or 3 weeks. It took more like 3 months. I still have minor swelling 9 months later.
    I would recommend taping your ankle under your socks when you skate. I also taped up my skate around the ankle with clear tape.
    I hope you get back sooner than I did!!
    I had a sprain a couple years ago from bball. Doctor told me I would have been better off if I broke my ankle, since I sprained it "as badly as I possibly could have" lol. Couldn't walk for about 2 months, had to wear a boot. That was not fun. Lateral movement still isn't the same, but has gotten a lot better than the first 6 months of playing after that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28