Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Can't stop on right side

  1. #1
    Torch the skies! Defgarden's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,101
    Liked
    5 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default Can't stop on right side

    Hey guys,

    Just a quick question. I can easily snowplow stop on my left skate inside edge, and can even turn my body to do a gliding stop with both skates. I cannot for the life of me do it on my right side though.

    Any tips on how to get around this? I try to practice it a lot every time I'm on the ice, but nothing seems to work.

  2. #2
    It's all good man Bogey's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,720
    Liked
    4881 times
    Karma
    1391722
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1378 Post(s)

  3. #3
    1st Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,840
    Liked
    328 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
    Hey guys,

    Just a quick question. I can easily snowplow stop on my left skate inside edge, and can even turn my body to do a gliding stop with both skates. I cannot for the life of me do it on my right side though.

    Any tips on how to get around this? I try to practice it a lot every time I'm on the ice, but nothing seems to work.
    Actually this isn't a quick question. I say do everything very slow until you get used to doing what you want to
    achieve. Don't sharpen your skates until you are comfortable with stopping on your terms.
    I wish I could solve your problem here, but you will only
    correct your skill by practice. Take it all in stride.

    Which brings me to...
    I suggested a few years back about a LGK clinic.
    Basics only. I think we have enough talent on this
    board to offer basic skills. We all want to get an edge
    ,get in shape (myself included), or just to get out there
    and not be afraid or offended. Lets be honest, those
    of you who have played the game for a while were
    in this position at one time.

    My 2 cents.

  4. #4
    Team LGK 16scores's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,602
    Liked
    2662 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)

    Default

    That's what boards are for!


    Next time you are skating ask someone who looks like they have good form to watch what you are doing and see if they can give you any pointers.

  5. #5
    Gnome sayin'? Jeffrock's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    418
    Liked
    125 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Listen to Pat's advice. Do it slowly will dull skates. Practice, practice, practice.

    Where are you skating? If you are willing to go to Burbank, Tian does skating and edgework lessons during public skate, for a reasonable rate.

  6. #6
    Stabbin' you with love SuperCalo2000's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,749
    Liked
    1017 times
    Karma
    1042400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

    Default

    I am down with the clinic idea. Who is down with setting one up ?

  7. #7
    Licensed to rock Lososaurus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,366
    Liked
    179 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Can you do a snowplow stop?

    Start by doing the snowplow leading with your right skate.

    When you can comfortably snowplow leading with your right skate, begin lifting your left foot and turning your right foot perpendicular to your direction of travel so it's a 1-foot stop.

    What you're comfortable with the 1-foot stop on your right foot, start trying to bring your left foot around for the 2-foot stop.

    Note on the 2-foot stop: I've been told that if your non-leading( inside? ) foot 'judders' or skips on the ice, you're not putting enough weight on it or not enough muscle.

  8. #8
    this guy sucks. Lappy!'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,566
    Liked
    1114 times
    Karma
    1050832
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    I can only stop by crashing into the boards or Big Joe.
    ^This post is completely idiotic, don't read it.^

  9. #9
    at the bar Annapurna's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,927
    Liked
    160 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrock View Post
    Listen to Pat's advice. Do it slowly will dull skates. Practice, practice, practice.

    Where are you skating? If you are willing to go to Burbank, Tian does skating and edgework lessons during public skate, for a reasonable rate.
    There is actually a really good clinic in Burbank on Wednesday and I believe on Friday nights also. I would recommend it.

  10. #10
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,835
    Liked
    16757 times
    Karma
    1661409
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    570 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
    Can you do a snowplow stop?

    Start by doing the snowplow leading with your right skate.

    When you can comfortably snowplow leading with your right skate, begin lifting your left foot and turning your right foot perpendicular to your direction of travel so it's a 1-foot stop.

    What you're comfortable with the 1-foot stop on your right foot, start trying to bring your left foot around for the 2-foot stop.

    Note on the 2-foot stop: I've been told that if your non-leading( inside? ) foot 'judders' or skips on the ice, you're not putting enough weight on it or not enough muscle.
    I was going to suggest "just stop on your left side" but this is much better advice. Baby steps, or in this case, baby stops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28