August 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM #11
No superstition for me really, more like just habit.
- First, I think I'm always right to left with everything.
- First item to put on would be the girdle (with built in cup of course).
- Next, shin guards.
- Next, pants (yeah, I only play inline hockey for the most part).
- Shoulder pads.
- Elbow pads.
- Then whatever else: helmet, gloves, like I said, whatever.
August 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM #12
Oh, I forgot one thing. I don't recall why I started doing it but since 1996 I've taped my stick like Jaromir Jagr. Red tape underneath black tape with a little red showing on the end towards the blade.
August 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM #13
1. Have to have facial hair, if I'm shaving, I'm shaving 5 days before the game.
2. Drink Holy Water before going on the ice. I'm not all that religious, but I started this in high school and it just kind of stuck. The one time I forgot to do this, I dropped the gloves with my buddy who was on the opposite team and he cracked me so hard in the jaw I will never forget it. I've fought him a number of times and he has never had a good shoot at me, but he made that one count. We lost the game after winning six straight as well.
I'm a baseball player but I play hockey as well. The tradition goes the same for baseball
Last edited by CBSCORES; August 7th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
August 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM #14
I sacrifice a small reptile the night before each game, and I drink a Rockstar on the way to the rink.
August 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM #15
When I played baseball and came to the plate I would tap home plate 4 times before I hit.
August 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM #16
I'm a creature of habit, so I don't really have any superstitions, but I do tend to gear up and get warmed up in the same exact way. The gearing up the same way is because if I do it randomly, I'll probably forget something.
August 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM #17
never shave the day of a game.
when playing goal, always skate into the crease backwards at the beginning of a game.
never have fewer than three cups in the gear bag.
August 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM #18
If we're including baseball, then I actually had some superstitions/habits in my high school days...
When playing in the Outfield- Palmful of fresh sunflower seeds in my back pocket before each inning. If I didn't finish them before the next inning, toss the rest in my mouth and go all watermelon-seed-machine-gun in the dugout and get some new ones.
When batting - very particular about which way the bat's label was oriented. Started with face up, as if it were a wooden bat. If that didn't work one game, I'd switch it up and make sure it faced down each at bat the next game until that failed. It works. Try it.
When pitching - Not really a superstition, but when things weren't working out, it was always the mound's fault. I don't know how many times I had my coaches come out with the rake and that stomper thing to "fix" it. I was pretty good, so they didn't mind
Post-game - Watermelon Gatorade
August 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM #19
Didn't realize I had that many ubtil I thought about it
-Skip the meal before the game, pound a Muscle Milk shake an hour before game starts.
-Listen to something very loud on the way (Usually Metal/Punk)
-Specific dressing order.
-Smack all pads with stick
-During warmups, I don't talk to anyone, and have a specific skate routine, though I'm the loudest one when the game starts.
I just don't feel right if these things are not done.
August 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM #20
LOL at the sharpie story!
Originally Posted by Unruely35
I hear you on the general reason to place the net, but I am sort of obsessive about it. I mean...it has to be in the perfect spot.