August 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM #1
In loo of some comments in other locker room threads im curious to hear what everyone who plays hockey's game time superstitions are.
here are mine.
ive worn same socks everytime i lace up since high school
and i put everything on right to left
August 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM #2
Geez. Make a little joke about a guys crusty socks and he gets all sensitive!
Here, I'll give you some ammo that you should already know if you payed any attention in the locker room ever.
1. I have a specific order in which I dress. waist down then waist up. blocker, helmet, then glove.
2. The stick I use is determined by the team Im playing for. Highlanders and Aeros get the Luongo RBK, Ducks and others get Fleury. Pick up games now get this: http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2014_15766121
3. Red Bull Sugar Free is chugged before I leave the locker room.
4. Never touch a center red line.
5. Touch all posts and crossbar in specific (yet super secret) order.
6. Clean socks.
August 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM #3
I used to have one where I wouldn't spank it the night before games. I could never keep that one...
August 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM #4
This isn't a hockey superstition, but it's a superstition nonetheless. I used to shave the day of before going paintballing.
August 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM #5
Here are some for my beer league that I have:
Always listen to AFI- Very Proud of Ya CD on the drive to the rink
Stop and buy a 32oz Crystal Geyser adn either AMP or Rockstar Juice (Orange Can)
Wear dress socks (they are thinner)
Dress in specific order and alternate sides (left side then right)
Stretch for 3 minutes at center ice next to my bench
Start the game with the last stick I used in warm ups
August 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM #6
- I carry the puck of my first ever goal in organized hockey in my bag.
- I tuck my undershirt into my jock shorts. Has to be tucked in.
- My skate laces are tied a certain a way as far as how I put them through the lace loops. Over and under a certain way.
- I tape my shin pads using clear shin pad tape and I create an X on the back of my calf.
- I skate around my half of the rink twice before I touch a puck.
- I use new tape on my blade every game, no matter if it's worn or not.
- I put my stuff on Left to Right.
That's all of them, I think.
August 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM #7
after reading others i realized a few more
i wont eat 5 hours before i play
always drink lemon gatorade
when i tape my shin guards i go around the top twice, cut down with 1 diagonal line down the front and tape the bottom twice, all 1 consecutive piece of clear tape
i have a very particular taping method to my sticks
i keep a 1982 penny in every shaft
no undershirt ever
tuck the bottom parts of my jersey sleeves into my elbow pads
i think thats all.
August 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM #8
In roller, the goal nets are not semi-stuck in position like ice. I play on sportcourt and I have a specific placing, on the "grid", of where I want the posts to be...they HAVE to be in those spots.
My wife, who likes to watch me play, always kisses me on the right cheek for good luck. On the right & left for tough opponents (twice the luck).
I always dress in the same order, but that is more a function of how goalie needs to be put on...not superstition.
August 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM #9
Your wife likes to watch you? Mine would rather stay home and read a book haha.
Originally Posted by HrudeyRules
I don't really have a routine other than put on my socks and pants on first and then my skates because I put my shins over the tongue. Everything else is random. I've been doing this for the past 15 years.
I wear an underarmour type shirt every game?
I also do this the day of the game hahaha
Originally Posted by Byatch1979
August 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM #10
I play on sportcourt, too Hrudey. I think the moving the net is more about function and making sure the net is right so we're square to the shooter and not getting hosed by a net that is off... but that could just be me.
I remembered one more.
I carried a black sharpie marker in my bag. The first night it was just there because I needed it, then I got a shutout so I left it. Went on a 17 game winning streak between my three teams (at the time). My husband packed my bag one day because I was in a hurry and took the sharpie out.
He still hasnt heard the end of THAT one.