Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Sick Geno ya plug P. Diddy's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,775
    Liked
    663 times
    Karma
    3050000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

    Default Taking the next step in skating

    So as a few of you may know, I've only been playing ice hockey consistently for about a year. I dabbled with ice before, and I played travel roller sine I was about 5. I have stopping and whatnot somewhat down, crossovers forwards and backwards. I really want to work on footwork though. I want to get faster and I want to learn how to get past defenders. I also really want to learn proper position of l and r wing (I alternate but prefer left even though I'm a right shot)

    I know there is a camp in Vegas MDW... Any other camps, clinics, classes or coaching anyone recommends? I'm in north San Diego but I'll travel as far as SLO, Phoenix, Vegas ect for camps or what not. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Support the Fans SirJW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    13,040
    Liked
    1540 times
    Karma
    7394605
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    216 Post(s)

  3. #3
    Sick Geno ya plug P. Diddy's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,775
    Liked
    663 times
    Karma
    3050000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

    Default

    I do plan on doing power skating when it comes around again. Do they work on edge control?

  4. #4
    Muffisher mudfisher's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,773
    Liked
    301 times
    Karma
    1110000
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Diddy View Post
    I do plan on doing power skating when it comes around again. Do they work on edge control?
    I'd hope so else it wouldn't be a proper power skating class.

    Also, do lots and lots of Squats, single and double leg Squat to box jumps) and abs.

  5. #5
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser beedee's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,298
    Liked
    2823 times
    Karma
    22301955
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm not expert by anymeans, but I have found that if I eat crappy the afternoon of a beer league game, my stamina is even crappier than it usually is. I have noticed more stamina with a healthier late lunch/early dinner before games. What I mean is, having the stamina to really drive your legs through each stride makes a big difference as well.

    Kudos to you P-deezy for wanting to push yourself to improve your game.

  6. #6
    Muffisher mudfisher's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,773
    Liked
    301 times
    Karma
    1110000
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    I'm not expert by anymeans, but I have found that if I eat crappy the afternoon of a beer league game, my stamina is even crappier than it usually is. I have noticed more stamina with a healthier late lunch/early dinner before games. What I mean is, having the stamina to really drive your legs through each stride makes a big difference as well.
    Same.

    Also, I find that I skate better after a light to moderate leg warm up in the morning (Ie: ride the mountain bike for about 45min to 1 hour).

  7. #7
    Sick Geno ya plug P. Diddy's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,775
    Liked
    663 times
    Karma
    3050000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

    Default

    Today I had a small 30 minute session after my pick up league game, and I had a hell of a lesson. I learned I'm swinging my arms wrong and not bending straight. Very good lesson. Next week I'm going to have to step over sticks and use cones. I'm excited!

  8. #8
    Sick Geno ya plug P. Diddy's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,775
    Liked
    663 times
    Karma
    3050000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

    Default

    So a few months in and my skating is improving a ton! C cut drills suck but it pays off doing them! Working on stamina, that's my weak point right now. Edge control is becoming second nature. I'm loving it! I get open a lot more and score a lot more too!

  9. #9
    mmmmm Taco's jammer06's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,991
    Liked
    7101 times
    Karma
    187396334
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1126 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Diddy View Post
    So a few months in and my skating is improving a ton! C cut drills suck but it pays off doing them! Working on stamina, that's my weak point right now. Edge control is becoming second nature. I'm loving it! I get open a lot more and score a lot more too!
    It really is amazing how much more speed you generate when you pull your leg back in the right way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •