Dubinsky’s match penalty rescinded; Backstrom injury update (Puck Headlines) (PuckDad
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
http://l.yimg.com/os/en/blogs/sptusn.../166984805.jpg• WHO LOVES STAGED PHOTOS THAT SHOW HOW MUCH WE LOVE THE LEAFS WE DO!!!
• Brandon Dubinsky’s match penalty against the Los Angeles Kings was rescinded. Said Dubi: "I got clocked from behind, so when I turned around, I expected there to be a fight.” [Puck-Rakers]
• Thankfully for the Washington Capitals, Nicklas Backstrom’s “upper body injury” was actually an arm injury. [WaPo]
• The Philadelphia Flyers don’t have anything to play for, but Danny Briere hopes they can go out like pros. [Broad Street Bull]
• Throwing humpies: One of Alaska hockey’s greatest traditions. [The Republic]
• Marian Hossa is the Chicago Blackhawks’ nominee for the Masterton Trophy. [Daily Herald]
• Why NHL 14 is going to bring the violence. [IGN]
• Mirtle explains how the Toronto Maple Leafs could miss the playoffs because he’s cruel like that. [Globe & Mail]
• Ken Campbell on John Tavares, MVP candidate: “With just over a week left in the season, there are realistically five contenders for MVP – Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Tavares, Sergei Bobrovsky and Jonathan Toews. Missing a quarter of the season will undoubtedly hinder Crosby’s chances, but is that any different than Ovechkin’s indifferent and unproductive play for the first half of the season? Tavares, meanwhile, has been very good from start to finish.” [THN]
• If you’ve not read this Teemu Selanne story about the Anaheim Ducks star encouraged a young fan to help beat cancer. [LA Times]
• Huzzah! David Perron scored a goal for the St. Louis Blues! [Frozen Notes]
• Milan Hejduk will return for the Colorado Avalanche against the Edmonton Oilers. [Denver Post]
• The Los Angeles Kings have assigned forward Tyler Toffoli to the Manchester Monarchs. [Kings]
• In which Kevin Dineen calls the New York Rangers “cookie monsters.” [NYDN]
• Tyler Johnson of Syracuse gets the MVP award for the AHL. [Lightning Strikes]
• The story behind Pat Foley becoming voice of the Chicago Blackhawks. [CSN Chicago]
• What might hurt the Anaheim Ducks come playoff time? [Anaheim Calling]
• St. Cloud State will rename its hockey arena after Herb Brooks. [AP]
• Finally, Erik Karlsson’s actually coming back for the playoffs, isn’t he? That’s some superhuman recovery right there.