March 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM #1
Kiprusoff back; trade market ‘a little funky’; Garth Snow hockey’s least powerful? (P
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Martin St. Louis: not tall.
• Miikka Kiprusoff returns for the Calgary Flames. [Calgary Herald]
• Peter "Bootzilla" Chiarelli on the trade market: "Everyone has played from 20 to 24 games so far; you've got to adjust your thinking to making a quicker assessment. We’re used to making our assessments over a longer period of time. And this year it’s different. Therefore, for me it’s a little funky right now to know we’re that close to making deals." Aw yeah. A little funky. [ESPN]
• Garth Snow is the lone hockey inclusion on this list of the 10 least powerful people in sports. Fair? [SI]
• Damien Cox says the Canucks could have traded Luongo to Toronto for Bozak and Kadri but they refused. Meanwhile, an old report from the Vancouver Sun's Iain MacIntyre says that was Gillis's standing offer to Burke, who wouldn't take it. Who's right? [PITB]
• Bill Daly: “The league continues to support a rule that would make visors mandatory in N.H.L. games." So does Harrison. [NY Times]
• No update on Marc Staal just yet, but Eric Staal is hopeful it will be a positive one when it comes: "It's hard to say now. They're just waiting for the swelling to go down," Eric Staal told NHL.com. Eric said he spoke to Marc on Wednesday morning. "He sounded like he was in OK spirits but we don't know a lot right now. Obviously we're saying prayers and hoping he dodged a bullet as far as being struck in that area. We'll know more with some more time." [NHL]
• Jo Innes on the visor debate: "'Visors are uncomfortable' ... suck it up. Because you know what else is uncomfortable? A laceration ON YOUR EYEBALL." [Backhand Shelf]
• Dan Girardi on Marc Staal's puck to the eye: "“I heard the shot, and I heard him." The Rangers have claimed Roman Hamrlik to cover Staal's absence. [NY Daily News]
• Another Sports Illustrated top 10 list: is Milan Lucic really one of the 10 best power forwards of all time already? [SI]
• Digging into the history of the Leafs/Bruins rivalry. I love these posts. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
• The abuse story coming out of Shattuck-St. Mary's is pretty harrowing. [Grand Forks Herald]
• Patrick Kaleta is still technically a Lady Byng candidate. [Black, Blue & Gold]
• After a setback with his MS treatment, Josh Harding feels better, according to Chuck Fletcher. [Star Tribune]
• Jon Rosen: "Ever since Columbus’ Nick Foligno scored in the third period of Los Angeles’ 2-1 win over the Blue Jackets on February 15, the Kings have outscored their opponents 18-2 in the third period." [LA Kings Insider]
• Peter DeBoer gives us concrete details on Martin Brodeur's return from injury: "Sometime in between Thursday and a month." Thanks, Pete! [NJ]
• Brace yourselves for another pregame ceremony in Montreal, Senators fans. You get the first Canadiens' home game after they scored the 20,000th goal in franchise history. [Senshot]
• In which Ryan Miller "robs Semin blind". Not the first time Semin has been associated with blindness.