April 18th, 2013, 01:10 PM #1
LA Kings’ Dodgers hockey jerseys; Bruins singer talks anthem; Iowa Wild? (Puck Headli
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• The Los Angeles Kings will rock these Dodgers-theme hockey sweaters in warm-ups for charity, which is cool. [@BaileyLAKings]
• The Royal Half previews the Kings vs. Lumbus: [TRH]
• It’s looking more and more like the Houston Aeros will move to Iowa to become … sorry, no, not the Chops. The Iowa Wild. Snore. [Des Moines Register]
• Adam Proteau, in praise of the salary cap: “The cap has guaranteed that, for every salary-based action a team takes, there is an equal and opposite reaction at some point in a team’s evolution. The Devils threw everything they could to retain the services of Ilya Kovalchuk, but it ultimately cost them Zach Parise. The Canucks and Flyers took bold gambles signing Roberto Luongo and Ilya Bryzgalov to big-money, long-term contracts and now face major challenges getting out from under those deals. The Preds found the money to keep captain Shea Weber, but had no alternative but to watch Suter leave and improve the fortunes of the Minnesota Wild.” [THN]
• Brian Boyle is out indefinitely with a knee injury for the New York Rangers. [NYDN]
• The Buffalo Sabres are huge Florida Panthers fans tonight: “We need help. With us having game in hand, we definitely need help,” said Steve Ott. [Buffalo Hockey Beat]
• So, uh, Sabres fans have gone insane. [Die By The Blade]
• Dallas Stars rolling out a Ray Whitney-Jamie Benn-Loui Eriksson top line. Said Coach Gulutzan: “We’ve got guys who have worked hard, and I’ve seen it time and time again that people who put in the effort will get rewarded. Loui is going to be one of those guys.” [Stars Blog]
• No Ray Emery or Patrick Sharp for the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday vs. Nashville. [ESPN Chicago]
• Rene Rancourt was worried about getting through the anthem at the Boston Bruins’ first game after the Marathon bombing. “I’m sure that the people didn’t even realize how much help I actually did need. It was wonderful.” [Bruins Blog]
• What the hell happened to Milan Lucic? [Eye on Hockey]
• Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher gloriously tempts fate by naming the Blue Jackets, Wild and Sharks as teams the Canucks should hope to play in postseason. [The Province, via Frank Martens]
• Ben Bishop on his work load: "I've been working quite a bit throughout the season so no big change. A little more travel but nothing I wasn't ready for." [Lightning Strikes]
• Ilya Bryzgalov gets the start for the Philadelphia Flyers against the New Jersey Devils, because losing helps you in the lottery and Steve Mason isn’t losing. [Philly.com]
• Matt Greene is officially back for the Los Angeles Kings, could replace Keaton Ellerby in the lineup. [LA Kings Insider]
• Mike Zigomanis? AHL Man of the Year! [Hockey Fights]
• Justin Schultz winning AHL defenseman of the year is pretty fantastic for a guy who played 34 games in the ‘A’ this season. [CBC]
• Finally, this Stavanger Oilers season review video is all kinds of awesome, what with golden helmets and bombastic Hollywood blockbuster music. NORGE!
Oilers takker fansen! from Hong Kaakon on Vimeo.