April 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM #1
Staal-a-palooza in Carolina; Cory Schneider injured; Crosby skating (Puck Headlines)
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• A desperate Dallas squad pulls out all the stops to score a game-tying goal. [Reddit]
• Jared Staal has been recalled by the Carolina Hurricanes. He'll make his NHL debut Thursday alongside his brothers, Eric and Jordan, versus his other brother Marc's club (although Marc won't play, obviously). It's Staal-a-palooza! [Hurricanes]
• Sidney Crosby is back skating, but there's still no timetable for his return. [TribLive]
• Cory Schneider has injured his undisclosed. Roberto Luongo draws in. This could get interesting. [PITB]
• Dion Phaneuf is maturing, and the playoffs are a huge opportunity for him to make sure people notice. [Sportsnet]
• In honour of Alex Ovechkin's crazy run, Sean McIndoe takes us back through time as we remember the other players that have led the league in scoring. [Down Goes Brown]
• Sergei Bobrovsky has us once again asking if a goalie should win the Hart trophy. [The Hockey News]
• Josh Harding is the Minnesota Wild's nominee for the Masteron award, which is pretty much a no-brainer. Dude's an inspiration. [Hockey Wilderness]
• Mayor Bloomberg wants to transform the Bronx armoury into the one's largest indoor ice sports complex. Please tell me they're calling it "Ice Town". [NY Post]
• Travis Hughes on how Philadelphia showed a little brotherly love to the city of Boston last night. [Broad Street Hockey]
• The Washington Capitals have re-signed Eric Fehr. Two years. $3 million. Cap hit of $1.5 million. [Capitals]
• The LA Kings are starting to look like last year's LA Kings again, although I'd argue that, by looking like a mediocre team all year and then putting it together just in time for the playoffs, they've been last year's Kings all season. [Backhand Shelf]
• The New York Islanders have done a good job building through waivers. [The Hockey Writers]
• Good news, stars of the 2013 draft class: the Sabres can't get you now. You can breathe easy. [Black Blue & Gold]
• Seth Jones is at the top of Central Scouting's final rankings. [NHL]
• Kent Wilson touches on the genesis of some of the advanced stats that are beginning to become more mainstream. [Flames Nation]
• Today's fantasy hockey cage match: P.K. Subban vs. Kris Letang. [Dobber Hockey]
• Plymouth Whalers’ coach and GM Mike Vellucci after a bad call: "I guess you can't blame the officials because they're incompetent." [Buzzing the Net]
• The Oilers' young stars don't get enough credit for the way they draw powerplays. [Edmonton Journal]
• Lord Stanley pays Nicklas Backstrom a visit to talk about Geico.
Lord Stanley from DCP Productions on Vimeo.