Click Here!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Bruce McNall Reddit AMA this Thursday 1:00PM!

  1. #31
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,958
    Liked
    2597 times
    Karma
    1251346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    729 Post(s)

    Default

    McNall is just another in a long line of testimonies stating that the 1980's were the worst and most fraudulent decade in American history. The politics, false hope, false economy and bizarrely plastic and fake culture are all embarrassments.

    As a fan for more than ten years before the Gretzky era, I don't look back at that period with warm fuzzies. The team was finally building from within and developing star players. McNall did nothing heroic - he stole money and used our team as a personal plaything. He bought the shiniest toys and rode them into the ground until he was caught. I have no sympathy for him.

    Maybe those who just started watching the games at that time can romanticize that period, but it was a terrible blow to the franchise. Cronyism reigned, Gretzky was the de facto gm, quality players were dealt because they couldn't pay them, the Gretzky trade killed their chance of drafting and developing quality players for nearly a decade. One magical run to a near Cup doesn't make up for the crap that had to be endured for the next 15 seasons.

  2. #32
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,958
    Liked
    2597 times
    Karma
    1251346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    729 Post(s)

    Default

    Ironically, the Law and Order re-run based on the McNall case is on TNT right now. Weird.

  3. #33
    1st Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,011
    Liked
    288 times
    Karma
    1010000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Default

    The Gretzky era..."It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

  4. #34
    2nd Scoring Line mrm55's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    333 times
    Karma
    535451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBGB View Post

    And for those who compare McNall to Madoff are absolute idiots. Madoff ripped off the common person. McNall ripped of BANKS, who just wrote it off as a tax loss and guess what, those banks are still in business. Yes, they gave him LOTS of money and they were defrauded. McNall went to prison. Banks (owned by rich people) were hurt. Madoff hurt common folks who (stupidly) invested their life savings with them.
    Silly me, here I thought banks were owned by stockholders. You know, common folk who invested their hard earned life savings into shares of bank stock.

  5. #35
    Sarcastic Ass nocturn's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    8,131
    Liked
    2658 times
    Karma
    1105000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    McNall is just another in a long line of testimonies stating that the 1980's were the worst and most fraudulent decade in American history. The politics, false hope, false economy and bizarrely plastic and fake culture are all embarrassments.

    As a fan for more than ten years before the Gretzky era, I don't look back at that period with warm fuzzies. The team was finally building from within and developing star players. McNall did nothing heroic - he stole money and used our team as a personal plaything. He bought the shiniest toys and rode them into the ground until he was caught. I have no sympathy for him.

    Maybe those who just started watching the games at that time can romanticize that period, but it was a terrible blow to the franchise. Cronyism reigned, Gretzky was the de facto gm, quality players were dealt because they couldn't pay them, the Gretzky trade killed their chance of drafting and developing quality players for nearly a decade. One magical run to a near Cup doesn't make up for the crap that had to be endured for the next 15 seasons.
    Amen brother! Bang On!
    ChilledAgua likes this.

  6. #36
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrm55 View Post
    Silly me, here I thought banks were owned by stockholders. You know, common folk who invested their hard earned life savings into shares of bank stock.
    It also assumes that McNall's actions had no impact on the people around him like his family and friends, people who might have invested in the Kings (us) based on lies and falsified claims of competence and solvency.

    It's just a really incredibly insulting position to take that the only people hurt by McNalls actions were "The Richy Riches who could afford to lose the money so who cares lulz".

    And let's not get started about McNall/Gretzky and their role in escalating salaries and the eventual lockouts that absolutely did impact everyday "common" folk.

  7. #37
    Sarcastic Ass nocturn's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    8,131
    Liked
    2658 times
    Karma
    1105000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    It also assumes that McNall's actions had no impact on the people around him like his family and friends, people who might have invested in the Kings (us) based on lies and falsified claims of competence and solvency.

    It's just a really incredibly insulting position to take that the only people hurt by McNalls actions were "The Richy Riches who could afford to lose the money so who cares lulz".

    And let's not get started about McNall/Gretzky and their role in escalating salaries and the eventual lockouts that absolutely did impact everyday "common" folk.
    Just let it go, bro. This is yet another attempt by "Matt, Dancing Whore: The Lord of the LGK Trolls" to stir s*** up. I've been privy to this same crap now for damn near 20 years of his BB crap. The name dropping, the outlandish claims, the insider crap, it's all for attention. Some may be true, but most is bullschit...it's all for attention. Either way, it's 1996 tired.

    The best thing that could happen to this thread? Death.

    (INB4 "Who are YOU? You don't know movie stars! I casted _______ in _______ in 19___! I'm the man! I swallow! You're a nothing! Wanna bet a 1000 year-old whiskey?)

    Boom!
    Last edited by nocturn; November 24th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

  8. #38
    Team LGK KRC1221's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,982
    Liked
    3543 times
    Karma
    1464858457
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)

    Default

    I think its funny that the person who asked the question thinks that the Ducks are the Kings "true" rival. They are only a rival b/c of geography. Play them in the playoffs and then we can talk about legit rivals. I want 4-7 of pure hatred before I call them a rival.
    Frozen Fury, the only reason you can't wait for summer to end!

  9. #39
    magniloquent CBGB's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,448
    Liked
    244 times
    Karma
    1072942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

    And let's not get started about McNall/Gretzky and their role in escalating salaries and the eventual lockouts that absolutely did impact everyday "common" folk.
    No, LETS gets started...

    WHAT role?

    McNall offered Gretz to be the highest paid ATHLETE at the time (Magic Johnson) - Wayne took a million LESS. Now, lets talk about Rob Blake and Chris Pronger and escalating salaries. Wasn't Wayne and Bruce's fault.

    Wayne Gretzky earned 3.6 million in 1994-95

    Guess who earned 11.35 million just two years later and #99 wasn't even in the top 5?

    Here ya go:

    Lemieux: 11.35
    Messier: 6
    Bure: 5
    Lafontaine: 4.6
    Roy: 4.5

    But its all Wayne's fault.

    What happened the FOLLOWING year?

    Joe Sakic: 16 million fricken dollars - Oh yes, that's all WAYNE'S fault. He was ONLY making 6.25 that year. 4 million LESS than... Chris Gratton!

    List of player salaries in the NHL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by CBGB; November 25th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

  10. #40
    1st Scoring Line triplcrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,436
    Liked
    259 times
    Karma
    1240000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
    Bruce spent 5 years in a Federal prison - PRISON - for his crimes - and it wasn't a "country club" like many are lead to believe - read his book (i did) - he did his time - he paid his debt to society - you've never made a mistake and been forgiven for it? (like cheating on your wife, for example) - If it wasn't for Bruce McNall, there would be absolutely no hockey in California. The Ducks wouldn't exist (hate 'em all you want, McNall is the reason they're here, period) San Jose wouldn't exist, Phoenix wouldn't exist.

    "Boots" destroyed Nashville, Len Barrie set back Tampa Bay and the list goes on and on.

    I've known Bruce for a while now and he recently did something for me that went beyond the call of duty and shocked the hell out of me. He's been a great part of my life. If what transpired with the Kings didn't happen, Staples wouldn't have been built and Downtown L.A. wouldn't be what it is today, a BOOMING community. His "screw up" is the direct result of this great adventure by Uncle Phil.

    Cut the guy some slack.
    I totally agree. He paid his price and has shown mucho remorse.
    He was really humbled, humiliated, even. And properly so.

    Very few wealthy/powerful people are held accountable these days, as he most definitely WAS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82