Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By kawika
  • 3 Post By tortfesor
  • 2 Post By nki
  • 3 Post By santiclaws

Thread: Mark Morris hired by Gerard Gallant in Florida

  1. #1
    jt
    jt is offline
    Bartender on Dry Island jt's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    17,042
    Liked
    811 times
    Karma
    1246587
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    556 Post(s)

    Default Mark Morris hired by Gerard Gallant in Florida

    NEW STAFF: John Madden, Mark Morris, Mike Kelly, Robb Tallas to join Gerard Gallant | On Frozen Pond

    Morris, 56, was recently fired as coach of the AHL's Manchester Monarchs after eight seasons.

    As the top minor league team of the Kings, Morris was instrumental in helping young players develop into eventual Stanley Cup champions.

    "He's good at developing young defensemen and that was very important to us,'' Tallon said. "We have a lot of good, young defensemen in our system.''

  2. #2
    2nd Scoring Line kawika's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    625
    Liked
    83 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    I was pretty surprised that the Kings let Morris go. I understand that The Monarchs constantly disappointed in the playoffs, but isn't a minor league team supposed to prepare guys to play in the next level? Over the last couple of years, we have had quite a few kids step in and play solid, intelligent hockey. Yeah, I want Manchester to do well (in a vague, I don't actually care kind of way--kind of like cheering for the Lakers), but I would rather continue to have a steady stream of NHL-ready talent. I think this move comes back to bite us in the end. Having said that, congrats to Mark for securing an NHL job! Thank you for helping us get two cups. When I think about it, does he get a day with the cup?
    Last edited by kawika; July 8th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
    hornman and Illegal_Stick like this.

  3. #3
    I grew a Fatmanchu. Kingsfan626's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,619
    Liked
    121 times
    Karma
    2001745000
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawika View Post
    I was pretty surprised that the Kings let Morris go. I understand that The Monarchs constantly disappointed in the playoffs, but isn't a minor league team supposed to prepare guys to play in the next level? Over the last couple of years, we have had quite a few kids step in and play solid, intelligent hockey. Yeah, I want Manchester to do well (in a vague, I don't actually care kind of way--kind of like cheering for the Lakers), but I would rather continue to have a steady stream of NHL-ready talent. I think this move comes back to bite us in the end.
    I think the Kings were worried about the playoff mentality of the guys in the AHL. If they can't prepare and take it to the next level down there how do they expect to get it done in the NHL?

  4. #4
    Team LGK tortfesor's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,691
    Liked
    82 times
    Karma
    1050000
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Default

    What? No Boooooos yet, seeing as this was the first real public action by our new GM of the Manchester Monarchs: Rob Blake.
    jt, ChilledAgua and hornman like this.
    My Firm Motto:
    If you need a lawyer real bad, we've got real bad lawyers. :

    For free legal advice to my LGK friends, (limited to 1/2 hour), please click here

  5. #5
    nki
    nki is offline
    1st Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,823
    Liked
    490 times
    Karma
    1148020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)

    Default

    Morris left because he wanted a shot at a NHL gig. And he got one. Good luck to him.
    Mondo Blando and adgy-san like this.

  6. #6
    L'Eau de Vie! ChilledAgua's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    7,150
    Liked
    4545 times
    Karma
    1449317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tortfesor View Post
    What? No Boooooos yet, seeing as this was the first real public action by our new GM of the Manchester Monarchs: Rob Blake.
    Actually, it may not have been; I can't see the decision by the Monarchs to essentially forfeit home ice advantage get approved without crossing his desk.

  7. #7
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,347
    Liked
    1913 times
    Karma
    1421926
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1143 Post(s)

    Default

    This has nothing to do with the Kings - Morris wanted to move towards a NHL head coaching gig, and he wasn't going to be able to take the next step while in this organization.

  8. #8
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,977
    Liked
    14892 times
    Karma
    2116663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    This has nothing to do with the Kings - Morris wanted to move towards a NHL head coaching gig, and he wasn't going to be able to take the next step while in this organization.
    I thought he got fired? Or did he just want the unemployment insurance?



    Walks into Blake's office.
    "Yes, Mark?"
    "Boooooooooo!!!"
    "You're fired!!"
    jt, ChilledAgua and adgy-san like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27