Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: My Guide to Kings Prospects for the 2014/2015 Season

  1. #11
    waxing poetic Hipcheck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    31,181
    Liked
    1351 times
    Karma
    1361238
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

    Default

    Quick Question....you speak a lot about leaderhip roles. How is this determined? Simply a matter of wearing the C or an A or some other criteria? Thanks for posting....was a great read for a sunday am.
    What sets him apart is that he’s big, and he can skate, and he can protect the puck from anyone. If you’re trying to get it and he doesn’t want you to get, you’re not going to. -Justin Williams on Kopitar

    Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

  2. #12
    Enjoy the chaos King'sPawn's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9,909
    Liked
    1682 times
    Karma
    1411000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    Quick Question....you speak a lot about leaderhip roles. How is this determined? Simply a matter of wearing the C or an A or some other criteria? Thanks for posting....was a great read for a sunday am.
    Fair question, and yes, a lot of it has to do with the letters they wear. In the absence of wearing a letter, I gauge by how they have a "lead by example" style of play. It's not necessarily fair, since some of these players could be very vocal in the locker room and I'm not privy to it. In that regard, I do the best I can. Such factors I use are:
    - How "tough" a player plays but... how disciplined they are. For example, Clifford plays a tough game, but his willingness to throw down more than usual doesn't make him a leader. Brown and Greene, on the other hand, play tough, but you don't see them take themselves off the ice with an unnecessary fight.
    - Media coverage. There are a lot of aspects to this. Player-to-player interaction with the media is included (for example, Colin Fraser). However, players, particularly young players, who have to answer "hard" questions instead of fluff have to be more composed. I try to take notice when I see it.
    - Utilization. When a player is given difficult minutes, especially the player kill, that matters. A coach is consciously using the player in roles over other players; when the coach wants a player there, he is leading the rest.

    Thank you for reading, by the way!

  3. #13
    1st Scoring Line Helvetica's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,279
    Liked
    668 times
    Karma
    1037534323
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    520 Post(s)

    Default

    With respect to Andreoff, he seems ready to break through, and im curious how you see him comparing to guys on the team currently. I assume his obvious competition is Nolan and Clifford, and i'd like to know if you have any thoughts on how he stacks up against those two. Where is he, in terms of tool set, skill, progress compared to those two? Does he have a shot to snatch a spot on the team as opposed to the press box, or is he more likely to get his shot when one of those guys falters?

    Great write up, and thanks.
    King'sPawn likes this.

  4. #14
    2nd Scoring Line hokiecat's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    767
    Liked
    298 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

    Default

    Great guide! I love your summaries.

    Kempe coming to the OHL is not the worst thing that could happen. Andre Burakovsky came over from the Allsvenskan (league below SHL) and barely produced in his first couple weeks. Then he adjusted to the small rink and started dominating in Erie. While Modo is likely best for Kempe's skill development, coming to the OHL and getting used to the NA rink and culture would not be terrible. We can't lose either way.
    King'sPawn likes this.

  5. #15
    Formerly kingjozef anjae11eden's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    3,925
    Liked
    447 times
    Karma
    1286970
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

    Default

    Things don't look good right regarding Nikolai coming to NA anytime soon.
    King'sPawn likes this.

  6. #16
    Enjoy the chaos King'sPawn's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9,909
    Liked
    1682 times
    Karma
    1411000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    With respect to Andreoff, he seems ready to break through, and im curious how you see him comparing to guys on the team currently. I assume his obvious competition is Nolan and Clifford, and i'd like to know if you have any thoughts on how he stacks up against those two. Where is he, in terms of tool set, skill, progress compared to those two? Does he have a shot to snatch a spot on the team as opposed to the press box, or is he more likely to get his shot when one of those guys falters?

    Great write up, and thanks.
    As far as I am concerned, Andreoff is already ahead of Nolan. He could play Clifford's role, but I don't think he would be able to do it as well. It's far from a guarantee, though; with him being waiver eligible, however, it's up to Kings management if they want to keep him as a bench warmer or risk waiving him for a team to pick up. To me, he's NHL ready, and I think there is a chance a team who either has lousy depth or who is up against the cap and needs a cheap depth player would take a chance on Andreoff.

    But I think he has a genuine shot of making it in the NHL this year. The question remains if it will be in a Kings uniform.

    Quote Originally Posted by hokiecat View Post
    Great guide! I love your summaries.

    Kempe coming to the OHL is not the worst thing that could happen. Andre Burakovsky came over from the Allsvenskan (league below SHL) and barely produced in his first couple weeks. Then he adjusted to the small rink and started dominating in Erie. While Modo is likely best for Kempe's skill development, coming to the OHL and getting used to the NA rink and culture would not be terrible. We can't lose either way.
    I agree the Kings can't lose either way, but I think playing in the SHL is better for him THIS year. There are a couple obstacles which virtually every prospect has to overcome:
    1) adjustment to a faster game; as the competition gets better, you have less time to make decisions
    2) adjustment to a system/team game; prospects have to learn they can't get by on individual skills and there are bad individual habits they have to break
    3) strength and fitness; obviously you have to have higher endurance and strength to withstand the rigors, but also be more effective

    European players have the additional obstacle of adjusting to North America, not just the ice, but the culture and language.

    To me, Kempe coming to North America this season will fast track the adjustment, but it will be less physically demanding of him, and he won't have the adults to play against to see just how far away he is. He will be playing against very good junior players, but he won't be able to truly test himself physically until he's 20 years old.

    By staying in Europe, he is going to be closer to home, so having to make so many adjustments while trying to improve physically won't be an issue. He can improve his physique and work more closely with more mature people. Kempe's going to be spending some time adjusting to North America anyway, so I think it is more important to instill good habits early on and telling him where he has to be physically.

    All things considered, next year may be a better year for Kempe to come over to Barrie anyway. They are likely going to lose a lot of key players like Athanasiou, Ekblad, and Hall; coming in to this situation could make them turn to Kempe to be "the man" even though he just landed, and it would be too much, too soon. Allowing the Colts' new core to mature for another year (like Brendan Lemieux) could take the pressure off of him and let him adjust to the game.
    Helvetica and hokiecat like this.

  7. #17
    Reptilian Ambassador Alosha27's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,203
    Liked
    296 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks KP for the great write-up..
    You are one of the few posters on LGK that I really look forward to hearing from..

    I am only confused about one part of your breakdown..
    I am referring to the third aspect of your analysis.. Maybe if you explain your methodology for the League categorization..
    League/role (how beneficial where they are playing this season should benefit and maximize their development).

    Prokhorkin who we assume will be playing in the KHL next season scored a 2/10 in this category..
    Zykov who will most likely be playing in the QMJHL again next year received a 5/10
    Kempe playing in Modo received a 7/10...

    I would argue that Zykov's development would be diminished the most since he is obviously ready to move on to the AHL at this point in his trajectory.
    I can see the benefit of Kempe playing in Modo and I agree with your calculation in this case..
    What I don't get is your assessment for Prokhorkin... 2/10??? I would assume that Prokhorkin's score would fit somewhere between Zykov and Kempe's ratings...
    I hate the idea of Prokhorkin staying in the KHL for another year (or more)... but how is that so bad for his development (with the exception of getting to know the North American game) that he only scores a 2/10 there... Maybe if you flipped Zykov and Prokhorkin's scores and gave Zykov a 2/10 and Prokhorking the 5/10 I would understand...
    While the KHL doesn't really compare well with the NHL, I believe that it ranks higher than the AHL in terms of competition... This last year in the KHL was extremely beneficial for Prokhorkin and his play and numbers reflected that... At his age he will only improve his game there.... Sure he would probably develop more in the AHL.. but the same could be said for Zykov..
    King'sPawn likes this.

  8. #18
    Reptilian Ambassador Alosha27's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,203
    Liked
    296 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

    Default

    Really looking forward to more assessments from you KP... and more importantly seeing some of these kids in camp!!!!
    Last edited by Alosha27; July 20th, 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Double Postage
    King'sPawn likes this.

  9. #19
    Enjoy the chaos King'sPawn's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9,909
    Liked
    1682 times
    Karma
    1411000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alosha27 View Post
    Thanks KP for the great write-up..
    You are one of the few posters on LGK that I really look forward to hearing from..

    I am only confused about one part of your breakdown..
    I am referring to the third aspect of your analysis.. Maybe if you explain your methodology for the League categorization..
    League/role (how beneficial where they are playing this season should benefit and maximize their development).

    Prokhorkin who we assume will be playing in the KHL next season scored a 2/10 in this category..
    Zykov who will most likely be playing in the QMJHL again next year received a 5/10
    Kempe playing in Modo received a 7/10...

    I would argue that Zykov's development would be diminished the most since he is obviously ready to move on to the AHL at this point in his trajectory.
    I can see the benefit of Kempe playing in Modo and I agree with your calculation in this case..
    What I don't get is your assessment for Prokhorkin... 2/10??? I would assume that Prokhorkin's score would fit somewhere between Zykov and Kempe's ratings...
    I hate the idea of Prokhorkin staying in the KHL for another year (or more)... but how is that so bad for his development (with the exception of getting to know the North American game) that he only scores a 2/10 there... Maybe if you flipped Zykov and Prokhorkin's scores and gave Zykov a 2/10 and Prokhorking the 5/10 I would understand...
    While the KHL doesn't really compare well with the NHL, I believe that it ranks higher than the AHL in terms of competition... This last year in the KHL was extremely beneficial for Prokhorkin and his play and numbers reflected that... At his age he will only improve his game there.... Sure he would probably develop more in the AHL.. but the same could be said for Zykov..
    Here is my rationale for each player's league/role rankings:
    Kempe 7/10: He's going to be playing in the SHL, and I do feel it is good for his development. Younger players typically get a reduced role in these pro leagues, however, so he might get too little playing time. If I was certain he'd play more, I'd give him a higher score.

    Zykov 5/10: Playing in the AHL would definitely be best, but it's not an option. In terms of the best league and role for him this year, the Q is the best option. However, he's probably going to play a very similar role to what he's already playing (I don't see him getting much PK time, for example). So... his score drops a little because there's not going to be much more of a challenge to his development.

    Prokhorkin 2/10: Prokhorkin is reportedly trying to sign a three year deal with CSKA. Three years overseas, while he will hone himself physically, is a long time away from the NHL and his chance to come over and adjust. Furthermore, unlike the two aforementioned players, Prokhorkin IS eligible to play in Manchester, or rather, he could if he bought out his contract. His decision to stay overseas, and try to commit to a very ruthless KHL league for three years, is, in my opinion, going to have a MAJOR impact on his ability to come back over and adjust to the NHL game. Speaking strictly for career path, there's nothing inherently wrong with Prokhorkin staying out there. But I do feel, relative to the other prospects' choices, he is making a very bad decision if the goal is to shape an NHL career. He may still have a great career in the KHL, but that ultimately means little as far as the Kings are concerned.

  10. #20
    1st Scoring Line triplcrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,749
    Liked
    210 times
    Karma
    1503175
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the profiles, and all your hard work.


    Still, I really longed to read even just ONE like this:

    Offensive upside: 11/10
    ________has incredible puckhandling skills and skates like the wind on steroids. He loves to hit and battle for pucks,
    and has unparalleled instincts and creativity. He'll make an easy transition and be an NHL scoring star by November.

    Defensive upside: 12/10
    ___________ has the ability to check anyone, even Crosby or Toews. They may have to just GIVE the kid the Selke to keep for good,
    and come up with another trophy for NEXT best defensive FW, AFTER ______________.

    League/Role next year:
    He will dominate the League like Henry The VIIIth on meth. It will be a struggle for the coaches to play him less than 25 minutes-a-game.
    He is not really in his appropriate league, as he is way too good for the NHL.
    Last edited by triplcrown; July 21st, 2014 at 02:13 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65