Click Here!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shawn Thornton CHEAP shot on Orpik

  1. #21
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,207
    Liked
    1936 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zebehm View Post
    That was disgusting. Neal should be gone 10+ and Thornton half a season, minimum. Neal clearly sees Marchand flat on the ground and deliberately skates into him to hit him with his knee. Thornton is always going to enter a scrum after the whistle but to go after Orpik (who is doing nothing more than jawing at his teammate) with a slewfoot and punching him while he's down and vulnerable is pathetic. The league should make an example of him, skip the whole breakdown of the play by Shanahan and simply say this kind of crap isn't tolerated in the NHL and ban him for half a season or more.
    He went after Orpik because of his hit on Eriksson during the first shift of the game. It was interference and knocked him out after he already had concussion problems earlier. Nothing happened here that doesn't happen every night except Orpik got seriously hurt. Kelly Chase even said tonight that he probably would have reacted the same way. Not defending it but if Shanahan wants to make an example of someone, he should do it every time there is a scrum because guys are taking shots at each other all the time. Otherwise, you'll always have guys hitting each other in the face and you end up with the occasional concussion.
    AngelEyes likes this.

  2. #22
    Want Cup zebehm's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,072
    Liked
    307 times
    Karma
    4131097
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    He went after Orpik because of his hit on Eriksson during the first shift of the game. It was interference and knocked him out after he already had concussion problems earlier. Nothing happened here that doesn't happen every night except Orpik got seriously hurt. Kelly Chase even said tonight that he probably would have reacted the same way. Not defending it but if Shanahan wants to make an example of someone, he should do it every time there is a scrum because guys are taking shots at each other all the time. Otherwise, you'll always have guys hitting each other in the face and you end up with the occasional concussion.
    I don't remember the last game a player slew foot another from behind after a whistle and then proceeded to punch him in the head while he was down.

    I am of the opinion that suspensions aren't long enough. I can see how some people think that this kind of thing is normal (except the outcomes) but I disagree and think it crossed a line that needs to be more clearly defined and enforced by the league.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pucker25 and mitchrock like this.

  3. #23
    mmmmm Taco's jammer06's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,710
    Liked
    6802 times
    Karma
    389477462
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    677 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally I am more outraged by Neal.
    For all the times people complain about guys fighting right after a big hit, this timeThornton tried to do it the old fashioned way and orpik wouldn't go. Doesn't mean iI agree with the slew foot but that wasn't as disgusting to me.
    borinka99 likes this.

  4. #24
    waxing poetic Hipcheck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    30,869
    Liked
    1817 times
    Karma
    1020000
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

    Default

    Here is a Youtube vid with all three incidents...Orpik Erickson looked clean to me as well, the Neal/Thornton incidents...not so much.

    Bruins-Pens incidents, Thornton KO's Orpik, Neal-Marchand w/SlowMo 12/7/13 - YouTube
    mitchrock and Drop The Gloves like this.
    "How Dare You Trump My Clever Witticism"

    Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

  5. #25
    I grew a Fatmanchu. Kingsfan626's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,577
    Liked
    213 times
    Karma
    1000000000
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

    Default

    Marchand was vulnerable and didn't expect a knee to the face. Orpik knew he was a marked man and it looked like a case of having a glass jaw. But Thornton will see a heavy suspension because his was done after the play while Neal will get a slap on the wrist because the league is so serious about players safety and head shots.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Turn down the suck! GunShow?'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    640
    Liked
    92 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zebehm View Post
    That was disgusting. Neal should be gone 10+ and Thornton half a season, minimum. Neal clearly sees Marchand flat on the ground and deliberately skates into him to hit him with his knee. Thornton is always going to enter a scrum after the whistle but to go after Orpik (who is doing nothing more than jawing at his teammate) with a slewfoot and punching him while he's down and vulnerable is pathetic. The league should make an example of him, skip the whole breakdown of the play by Shanahan and simply say this kind of crap isn't tolerated in the NHL and ban him for half a season or more.
    He went after Orpik because of his hit on Eriksson during the first shift of the game. It was interference and knocked him out after he already had concussion problems earlier. Nothing happened here that doesn't happen every night except Orpik got seriously hurt. Kelly Chase even said tonight that he probably would have reacted the same way. Not defending it but if Shanahan wants to make an example of someone, he should do it every time there is a scrum because guys are taking shots at each other all the time. Otherwise, you'll always have guys hitting each other in the face and you end up with the occasional concussion.
    Chase is an idiot.
    mitchrock and Cross Traffic like this.

  7. #27
    Muffisher mudfisher's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,710
    Liked
    519 times
    Karma
    1100000
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Default

    Loui Eriksson is out with another concussion (2nd for the year).
    Last edited by mudfisher; December 8th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

  8. #28
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser beedee's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,762
    Liked
    3223 times
    Karma
    21815601
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    The premeditation though is not unlike what we see all the time. Every time a star player is hit, there is revenge. Remember how people praised Darren McCarty after he nailed Claude Lemieux? I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that this isn't all that different and it's either overreaction, or underreaction when it happens with no resulting injury.
    i think that is a very key point right there. suspensions are only being dished out based off of the result of the infraction (if blood is drawn, 4 minutes for high-sticking instead of 2 minutes, if a player is KO'ed on a "questionable" headshot, etc..), rather than the infraction by itself.

  9. #29
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,595
    Liked
    818 times
    Karma
    1066200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

    Default

    Agreed. It's a serious flaw in how things are handled. The outcome is being penalized and not the actual infraction. Per Bob McKenzie Neal is going to have a telephone hearing, meaning 5 games or less. My feeling is it should be 15 games minimum and I would be pushing for 25. Regardless of Marchand's status, Neal deliberately skated into him while in a prone position making principal contact with Marchand's head with his knee. That's not a hockey play. That has nothing to do with the toughness and skill of the game. That's a player making a concerted effort to harm and injure an opposing player. How the league can talk up about wanting to protect its players and eliminating hits to the head yet turn a relative blind eye to this type of action is mind boggling.

    Furthermore, the franchise of the offending player should be penalized harshly with fines payable to some sort of retired players health fund.

    I mean...that's all under the theory that you actually want to eliminate hits to the head and hold players accountable for their actions. Something the league has been very spotty on.

  10. #30
    3rd Line Role Player




    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    190
    Liked
    97 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

    Default

    The "optics" of the play are what was bad? It looked bad because it was bad.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. December 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28