Click Here!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shawn Thornton CHEAP shot on Orpik

  1. #51
    I revoke Man Cards FishMonger's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10,447
    Liked
    3572 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    I'm not blaming Orpik.
    But you are shifting blame to him for having a "glass jaw," by saying 'this wouldn't be so bad if he was tougher.' And that's bunk.

    Are you telling me you haven't seen harder punches result in nothing?
    No, I'm saying that's irrelevant. Matt Greene got hit by a jeep and played within 24 hours. Because he did that, should we shift blame to any guy who gets injured and misses time for being soft because somebody else played when they were hit harder?
    I can't even believe you would think that, but that's the argument you keep making.

    When you say "This wouldn't have happened if Bob hadn't done this" you are trying to shift blame to Bob. It's not that hard of a concept to understand...

    Maybe it's a little insensitive of me to say that but I'm just calling it like it is.
    Probably is, but that's not the issue I have with it.

    Is it right that if it was a guy who had a harder chin, Thornton likely wouldn't be suspended?
    Is that an accurate statement? Sure. Should it matter? No. The only thing that should matter here is Thornton did something incredibly unusual and bad (a slewfoot and a few punches to the head is unusual) and he ALONE is responsible and to blame for the results caused by his actions, and only his actions.

    It's the act that matters. Not the result.
    I really question people who believe this. It's not realistic. If I go through a red light in my car, I get a ticket. If I go through a red light and take out 3 cars, I'm responsible for the damage I cause. I don't get to blame the other cars for being there, or complain that I wouldn't have done as much damage if I'd hit an SUV instead of a SmartCar. It's my responsibility not to run red lights, and I'm responsible for the results.


    And I'm not taking blame away from Thornton.
    You've done very little to convince anyone of this.

    It's the pitchfork yielding masses who pick and choose what to get worked up over that annoy me.
    I agree.

    Yes, blame Thornton for a BS move. But then also blame countless other players for incidents that don't result in an injury. That's all I'm saying. I don't think it's that hard to grasp.
    What's hard to grasp is how you can think people find your first sentence 100% sincere, when your second sentence is about blaming other for it.

    And the only thing I've said about the slewfoot is that I didn't see it because I only saw the replay once or twice and not even the angle that shows the slewfoot. I don't know where you're getting that I don't think it matters. For the hundredth time, I'm not defending Thornton.
    My mistake, I must have misread that. You said "I didn't see the slewfoot but even still" which to me means you're just passing it off as nothing bad. Regardless, Scott messed up in a way, and will have to pay for it.


    Can we hug it out now?
    Last edited by FishMonger; December 10th, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
    eddieshack23 likes this.

  2. #52
    2nd Scoring Line Krussadams's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    414
    Liked
    884 times
    Karma
    1025000
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

    Default

    Update:

    Brooks Orpik can't recall anything from Saturday after anthem - CBSSports.com

    Guess he was knocked out by Thornton. To me, watching the video, it didn't look he lost consciousness at all, but I wasn't on the ice checking him out. In any case, look for a somewhat lengthy suspension for Thornton after his meeting on Friday.

  3. #53
    1st Scoring Line KopiFan11's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,107
    Liked
    937 times
    Karma
    69687781
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krussadams View Post
    Update:

    Brooks Orpik can't recall anything from Saturday after anthem - CBSSports.com

    Guess he was knocked out by Thornton. To me, watching the video, it didn't look he lost consciousness at all, but I wasn't on the ice checking him out. In any case, look for a somewhat lengthy suspension for Thornton after his meeting on Friday.
    can you get knocked out without being prone? he seems to seize up a little upon going down, but then it looks like he start protecting himself, which (and i'm not a doctor, i'm just curious) I thought can't happen when you get knocked out?




    also why is there blood on the ice? I still don't understand how he got this mess up from these hits, not justifying it nor am I saying I could take these punches, but I mean, thornton didn't even take his gloves off.

    **** I just solved the mystery myself: it's the old cement in the gloves trick
    Krussadams likes this.

  4. #54
    2nd Scoring Line Krussadams's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    414
    Liked
    884 times
    Karma
    1025000
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KopiFan11 View Post
    can you get knocked out without being prone? he seems to seize up a little upon going down, but then it looks like he start protecting himself, which (and i'm not a doctor, i'm just curious) I thought can't happen when you get knocked out?




    also why is there blood on the ice? I still don't understand how he got this mess up from these hits, not justifying it nor am I saying I could take these punches, but I mean, thornton didn't even take his gloves off.

    **** I just solved the mystery myself: it's the old cement in the gloves trick
    It's tough. I mean, I watched that video so many times, it was ridiculous. And I swear I never saw him go out. I had to stop short of calling BS, because I have seen some strange crap happen. I mean, go back and watch the McSorley/Brashear chop. Brashear seems to lose consciousness slowly - not instantly after contact.

    I think we all might be so used to seeing people just drop like limp noodles once they get rocked (it happened to me once or twice), that we're conditioned to think that's how it's supposed to happen. Guess not in Orpik's case.

    And I give Orpik the benefit of the doubt since he has the same birthday as me.

  5. #55
    I revoke Man Cards FishMonger's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10,447
    Liked
    3572 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)

    Default

    You all know you can be completely out with your eyes open, right?

  6. #56
    1st Scoring Line KopiFan11's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,107
    Liked
    937 times
    Karma
    69687781
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishMonger View Post
    You all know you can be completely out with your eyes open, right?
    I wasn't really focusing on wether his eyesse were open or not, but the fact that he started defending himself. but it did look almost like it was a reflex that's whats confusing because more often than not if a person gets knocked out they'll go limp.

  7. #57
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,448
    Liked
    1136 times
    Karma
    1233325
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KopiFan11 View Post
    I wasn't really focusing on wether his eyesse were open or not, but the fact that he started defending himself. but it did look almost like it was a reflex that's whats confusing because more often than not if a person gets knocked out they'll go limp.

    You do not need to be knocked unconscious to suffer a concussion.

    From personal experience, I've been knocked silly in a wrestling match, finished the match, then had no memory of what happened until someone either told me, or, in one case, until I saw a video of it years later.

    I remember watching one particular boxing match where a fighter did get kayoed, went stiff as a board mainly, but continued to throw stiff punches with both hands while laying on his back.

    Brain injury yields many varied results.
    Last edited by LetTigerIn; December 10th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #58
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,198
    Liked
    1930 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishMonger View Post
    But you are shifting blame to him for having a "glass jaw," by saying 'this wouldn't be so bad if he was tougher.' And that's bunk.


    No, I'm saying that's irrelevant. Matt Greene got hit by a jeep and played within 24 hours. Because he did that, should we shift blame to any guy who gets injured and misses time for being soft because somebody else played when they were hit harder?
    I can't even believe you would think that, but that's the argument you keep making.

    When you say "This wouldn't have happened if Bob hadn't done this" you are trying to shift blame to Bob. It's not that hard of a concept to understand...


    Probably is, but that's not the issue I have with it.


    Is that an accurate statement? Sure. Should it matter? No. The only thing that should matter here is Thornton did something incredibly unusual and bad (a slewfoot and a few punches to the head is unusual) and he ALONE is responsible and to blame for the results caused by his actions, and only his actions.


    I really question people who believe this. It's not realistic. If I go through a red light in my car, I get a ticket. If I go through a red light and take out 3 cars, I'm responsible for the damage I cause. I don't get to blame the other cars for being there, or complain that I wouldn't have done as much damage if I'd hit an SUV instead of a SmartCar. It's my responsibility not to run red lights, and I'm responsible for the results.



    You've done very little to convince anyone of this.


    I agree.


    What's hard to grasp is how you can think people find your first sentence 100% sincere, when your second sentence is about blaming other for it.


    My mistake, I must have misread that. You said "I didn't see the slewfoot but even still" which to me means you're just passing it off as nothing bad. Regardless, Scott messed up in a way, and will have to pay for it.


    Can we hug it out now?
    I think you're mistaking me pointing out that the injury shouldn't matter as much as the act, for me blaming Orpik for getting hurt. I'm looking beyond this single incident. If Kyle Clifford did that to Dan Hamhuis and Hamhuis just got up and went to the bench after, we shouldn't just brush it off like it was nothing because no one got hurt. It has nothing to do with blaming anyone for anything. My point isn't to blame. My point is something entirely different.

    And my arms are open for you.

  9. #59
    1st Scoring Line Crazy_Ivan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,788
    Liked
    152 times
    Karma
    1000100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Get a room you two.

  10. #60
    It's all good man Bogey's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,722
    Liked
    4884 times
    Karma
    1396722
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1378 Post(s)

    Default

    15 games for Thornton.
    Cross Traffic likes this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. December 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83