- 1 Post By gescom
- 1 Post By beedee
- 1 Post By KingsFan1985
September 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM #1
LA Angels of Anaheim to officially become LA Angels. Staying in Anaheim till 2057?
According to the LA Times the city of Anaheim will vote on Tuesday (9/3/13) to enter a lease negotiation with the Angels to keep the team in the city possibly until 2057. Here are some of the key points.
* The team will agree to a new lease deal with the city of Anaheim to keep the team where they are at until 2057. The team can opt out on the deal in 2036, and 2050.
* The team can officially drop the of Anaheim portion of their name, and simply be called the Los Angeles Angels.
* The Angels will pay 200 million dollars for another renovation of Angels Stadium.
* Angels owner Arte Moreno will be able to rent land around the stadium for $1 a year and will secure development rights to that land for 66 years.
* The current lease deal which ends in 2016 will be extended to 2019 so that the city can work out a complex deal with the team.
'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' could be no more - latimes.com
September 2nd, 2013, 03:45 PM #2
If they win the big shiny thing they can be in LA, otherwise they're the Ducks of the MLB.
September 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM #3
So to give a update, the city approved the lease extension by a vote of 4-1. The mayor of Anaheim was very against this agreement becuase he feels Arte Moreno is just going to move the team out of the city anyways. The Angels came back and said they need the extra three years to organize their future plans in Anaheim.
September 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM #4
i really think something needs to be done about this L.A. s***.
September 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM #5
Uncle Artie just wants a handout or a sweetheart deal from the city. Who needs police, fire dept., schools and libraries when the city of Anaheim can subsidize the Angels ? It happens in other cities all the time. See Detroit.
September 5th, 2013, 08:57 PM #6
I'm not getting this.
Originally Posted by empire
September 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM #7
Not to turn this into some sort of political debate, but if people don't like what Arte is doing then simply don't support the team over the next few seasons and make you displeasures know vocally. In a sense do what Dodgers fans did to get rid of Frank McCourt.
Originally Posted by SuperCalo2000
In either case I don't think Arte Moreno nor his group will own this team 50 years from now, or even 10 years from now. I think his end game was always to build up the team's value as much as he can, then sell it off when it's at its peak value. I'm pretty sure he has already explored many options for moving to LA and has probably hit many walls in getting something going for getting a ballpark built there (just look at Farmer's Field). I think Moreno's options are limited so if he's going to be stuck with Anaheim, might as well milk the city for all it's worth. Won't be Arte's mess to deal with 60 years from now.
Last edited by KingsFan1985; September 11th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.