Click Here!
Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 765

Thread: Official Dodgers Off-Season Thread...

  1. #561
    Hoya
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irisher View Post
    For the record, I'm not a Broxton hater. I think he's a good pitcher, but I also think that blowing two crucial Game 4s in the NLCS in consecutive years to the exact same team is going to leave a mark on the guy's psyche.
    It might leave a mark, or it might compel him to improve. He is only 25, and he's just coming up on arbitration-eligible years now. Brad Lidge and Byung-Hyun Kim are the obvious examples to back up your point, but there are also plenty of players who've heard over and over again that they couldn't handle the pressure (e.g. A-Rod, J.D. Drew) only to prove the critics wrong. And I really can't think of any closers who've been consistently dominant in the playoffs other than Rivera, and even he has his blemishes ('97 ALDS, '01 WS, '04 ALCS).

    Quote Originally Posted by irisher View Post
    And I think this team needs a bit of a psychological makeover and that Broxton isn't an essential part of it, or at least shouldn't be considered one anymore. In other words, if an opportunity to get an ace came up via trade, or a power-hitting first baseman or a young stud at 3B, and Broxton was one of our players the other team was asking for in return, I'd pull the trigger for sure.
    Here, I agree--if he's part of a package for a better player, then by all means make the move.

    My point is moreso that there are five to ten closers in baseball right now who are as good or better than Broxton, many of whom have similarly blown big games this playoffs, and I'm betting that the vast majority of them aren't going anywhere soon.

  2. #562
    irisher
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoya View Post
    Here, I agree--if he's part of a package for a better player, then by all means make the move.
    Exactly. The same standard applies to Bills, Martin, & Loney in my opinion. Ethier, Kershaw, and Kemp are untouchable still, or at least would require massive overpayment.

    Colletti's jealously guarded the youth to this point, which has been the prudent move, more or less. But I think we've reached the point where the core can be tinkered with.

  3. #563
    Dance Bitch.. DANCE!! dodg3rsball's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,257
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoya View Post
    LOL. Awesome player? Let's not get delusional. He was an incredible player for 2 months while Manny was suspended, but that contract was ****ing terrible. If Colletti can find some way to pass this contract off on someone else, he's a genius.
    Reallly? if you can get 117 hits in 145 games with 30 sb and a 308 average with only 1 error in 109 games.. and have the sportsmanship to not bitch about being a replacement.. then i think your an awesome player.. its not only about posting up numbers buddy.. u gotta bind with the team ur in and help them move ahead.. and thats what he did when he was given the chance..

  4. #564
    Hoya
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dodg3rsball View Post
    Reallly? if you can get 117 hits in 145 games with 30 sb and a 308 average with only 1 error in 109 games.. and have the sportsmanship to not bitch about being a replacement.. then i think your an awesome player.. its not only about posting up numbers buddy.. u gotta bind with the team ur in and help them move ahead.. and thats what he did when he was given the chance..
    Are you kidding? He bitched about it a decent amount.

    I've admitted that he was awesome as Manny's replacement. He was awesome in the same sense that Ronnie Belliard was awesome--for a short period of time, he completely outperformed his ability with BABIP-inflated numbers. But let's not get delusional about his abilities. He was a below-average outfielder for two full seasons before this. He throws like a girl, has no power, doesn't walk enough, and his 30 SB this season were negated by the fact he was CS 12 times.

    At this point he's a $9M/year fourth outfielder and pinch runner. Colletti deserves credit for realizing his mistake and fixing it with the Manny acquisition--hopefully he can find someone dumb enough to eat the last two years of that contract.
    Last edited by Hoya; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

  5. #565
    Dance Bitch.. DANCE!! dodg3rsball's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,257
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoya View Post
    Are you kidding? He bitched about it a decent amount.

    I've admitted that he was awesome as Manny's replacement. He was awesome in the same sense that Ronnie Belliard was awesome--for a short period of time, he completely outperformed his ability with BABIP-inflated numbers. But let's not get delusional about his abilities. He was a below-average outfielder for two full seasons before this. He throws like a girl, has no power, doesn't walk enough, and his 30 SB this season were negated by the fact he was CS 12 times.

    At this point he's a $9M/year fourth outfielder and pinch runner. Colletti deserves credit for realizing his mistake and fixing it with the Manny acquisition--hopefully he can find someone dumb enough to eat the last two years of that contract.
    wow.. u really dont seem to like pierre.. theres a big difference between bitching about not playing asking for a trade if its possible.. i dont recall the article but he asked for one.. he didnt request or bitch or ruin the team chemistry.. thats one characteristic i like in a player.. yea hes not the **** or the best player out there.. i DEFINATELY know that.. but i think he deserves to play.. its just my personal opinion.. let me say that differently.. i think he deserves to play.. not as a dodger.. but as another teams starter

  6. #566
    Hoya
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dodg3rsball View Post
    let me say that differently.. i think he deserves to play.. not as a dodger.. but as another teams starter

  7. #567
    1st Scoring Line pb2k's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,749
    Liked
    234 times
    Karma
    1016400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

  8. #568
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,269
    Liked
    19398 times
    Karma
    105193176
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)

    Default

    This is gonna be an uuuuugly off-season.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  9. #569
    Stanley Cup Champions !! Trapper9's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,001
    Liked
    187 times
    Karma
    1032500
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

    Default

    Bills will be fine. he's 25.
    Martin needs to go.
    I say revisit the Padre trade of A.Gonzalez and Bell for Loney, Martin and any pitcher not named Billingsley or Kershaw.

  10. #570
    FlyinKIng
    Guest

    Default

    Yes. The real post season begins. Dodgers are in the critical time when they either are gonna make some changes to get better or salaries are gonna start catching up and a yard sale is prevail.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66