Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    Oh yeah, there's a team down there...

  2. #12
    #SimianNation mitchrock's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    27,031
    Liked
    8338 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    675 Post(s)

    Default

    Closers now can't be compared to closers from the 80's and before. They rarely pitch more than 1 or 2 innings these days. Not taking away anything from Hoffman, he is the man. Sutter didn't have the luxury of short outings and set up guys like Hoffman. Both are great and it wouldn't be fair to put one above the other.
    I AM THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

  3. #13
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,573
    Liked
    2058 times
    Karma
    1302516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchrock View Post
    Closers now can't be compared to closers from the 80's and before. They rarely pitch more than 1 or 2 innings these days. Not taking away anything from Hoffman, he is the man. Sutter didn't have the luxury of short outings and set up guys like Hoffman. Both are great and it wouldn't be fair to put one above the other.

    bulls***... it is a proven fact that odd physical characteristics, strange mechanics and most importantly facial hair absolutely determines the pecking order of greatest shutter-downers in history...


    Rich Gossage
    Rollie Fingers
    Bruce Sutter
    Dan Quisenberry
    Gene Garber
    Steve Bedrosian
    Jeff Reardon
    Dennis Eckersley

    hell even Todd Worrel sported a stache, Kent Tekulve was a high-level freak, and Eric Gagne was a disheveled fat slob!


    ALL better than Hoffman!
    GESCOM: it's never too early to start beefing up your obituary!

  4. #14
    #SimianNation mitchrock's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    27,031
    Liked
    8338 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    675 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gescom View Post
    bulls***... it is a proven fact that odd physical characteristics, strange mechanics and most importantly facial hair absolutely determines the pecking order of greatest shutter-downers in history...


    Rich Gossage
    Rollie Fingers
    Bruce Sutter
    Dan Quisenberry
    Gene Garber
    Steve Bedrosian
    Jeff Reardon
    Dennis Eckersley

    hell even Todd Worrel sported a stache, Kent Tekulve was a high-level freak, and Eric Gagne was a disheveled fat slob!


    ALL better than Hoffman!
    Had a good list until you brought up Gagne. Also don't forget Lee Smith.
    I AM THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

  5. #15
    Goin' to the #6 dance C. Marshall's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    3,369
    Liked
    78 times
    Karma
    1046100
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

    Default

    Yea, I was at the game last night. Took a lot of cr@p from Padres fans. The BEAT LA chat really gets annoying after the 43rd time.

    Tough night for me, first my phone starts blowing up with calls from people telling me that the Ducks won, then the Dodgers get their ass handed to them again.

    Seems as though everytime I see them away from Dodger Stadium they lose. I am 0-4 in the last couple of years.

  6. #16
    1st Scoring Line Catman39's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,134
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gescom View Post
    Rich Gossage
    Rollie Fingers
    Bruce Sutter
    Dan Quisenberry
    Gene Garber
    Steve Bedrosian
    Jeff Reardon
    Dennis Eckersley

    hell even Todd Worrel sported a stache, Kent Tekulve was a high-level freak, and Eric Gagne was a disheveled fat slob!


    ALL better than Hoffman!
    All better huh... if you notice #25 has 1/2 as many as Hoffman.

    Here's the top 25:

    Trevor Hoffman 500
    Lee Smith 478
    John Franco 424
    Mariano Rivera 413
    Dennis Eckersley 390
    Jeff Reardon 367
    Randy Myers 347
    Rollie Fingers 341
    John Wetteland 330
    Roberto Hernandez 326
    Troy Percival 324
    Billy Wagner 324
    Jose Mesa 320
    Rick Aguilera 318
    Robb Nen 314
    Tom Henke 311
    Rich Gossage 310
    Jeff Montgomery 304
    Doug Jones 303
    Bruce Sutter 300
    Rod Beck 286
    Armando Benitez 280
    Todd Jones 263
    Todd Worrell 256
    Dave Righetti 252

  7. #17
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    In my opinion # of saves have very little to do with overall greatness. Sure that's a part of it but that's not the whole story.

    Would anybody honestly rather make the call for John Franco in a 2-1 game in the bottom of the ninth rather than Dennis Eckersley. Let's be honest here.

  8. #18
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,573
    Liked
    2058 times
    Karma
    1302516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    In my opinion # of saves have very little to do with overall greatness. Sure that's a part of it but that's not the whole story.

    Would anybody honestly rather make the call for John Franco in a 2-1 game in the bottom of the ninth rather than Dennis Eckersley. Let's be honest here.

    Cam Neely or Jeremy Roenick?
    GESCOM: it's never too early to start beefing up your obituary!

  9. #19
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gescom View Post
    Cam Neely or Jeremy Roenick?
    Right. Although in his prime JR was a dynamite player.

  10. #20
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,573
    Liked
    2058 times
    Karma
    1302516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Right. Although in his prime JR was a dynamite player.

    and in Cam's prime, there may not have been ANYONE better.
    GESCOM: it's never too early to start beefing up your obituary!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27