Click Here!
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 137

Thread: Beckham - does anyone care?

  1. #91
    Statto
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
    We'll agree to disagree. I'm thinking a team like Houston would certainly hold their own against the likes of Watford.


    ...because he was hurt, not because he couldn't cut it. And let's not forget that it's very difficult for American players to qualify for work permits. There are probably only 15-20 guys who could even qualify for a work permit in England.


    For every Juan Pablo Angel, there's a Shaun Bartlett, who went from the MetroStars' bench to a part-time starter for Charlton. Or a Steve Howey, who was one of the worst MLS defenders I've ever seen. Or a Lothar Matthaeus, who went straight from Bayern Munich's starting lineup to being a huge disappointment in New York.


    Steve Nicol has won exactly nothing in MLS.
    Watford would win the MLS.

    Shaun Bartlett was woeful in the Premiership.

    Steve Howey was an average player at best and has an injury history as long as my arm.

    Matthaeus was on holiday and older than my Gran.

    Whatever you say about Steve Nicol the guy is a Liverpool legend... top player and a decent coach.

    There is no point comparing the MLS and the Premiership, its just chalk and cheese. Most of the good championship teams are stronger than the MLS teams also.

  2. #92
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,334
    Liked
    27 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuxBeingU View Post
    While I agree how does MLS relegate the "star" team of MLS, LA Galaxy? they would be relegated this season if things don't change. this is exactly why it will not happen in the near future.
    I would love for MLS to buy or merge with the USL and have a relegation/promotion relationship.
    That is a simple fix.. Get rid of the salary cap. And stop playing when there are international games. Other leagues have no problem with their marque teams going down to the lower divisions.

    Expand/merge to 20 teams. 10 in upper league 10 in lower league. 10 upper league teams play each team 4 times. Which is exactly the same amount of games other upper echelon leagues play. Have a US Open Cup and an MLS Cup (only upper division teams).

    The talent pool would be even tighter than now too (at least in the upper division)

    I can dream. This would totally pique my interest in MLS too.

  3. #93
    go
    go is offline
    All Star go's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,334
    Liked
    27 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

    Beckham's LA Galaxy dismissed as pub team by media

    "Beckham spent the match asking polite biographical details about his new colleagues. One question -- "how on earth do you expect me to improve that lot?" -- would have sufficed."
    "David Beckham is a Beverly Hills star in a skid row team."

  4. #94
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    So America doesn't understand British tabloids which may or may not understand American soccer...

  5. #95
    Good Times! redxalonso's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,964
    Liked
    116 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
    So America doesn't understand British tabloids which may or may not understand American soccer...
    Because both are rubbish?

    That's brilliant!

  6. #96
    Oh Babu KOPISTAR's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,188
    Liked
    306 times
    Karma
    3483079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

    Default

    My family is family friends of the Frank Yallop (Head Coach of the Galaxy)

    And as of today, David Beckham will not play on saturday. He isn't going anywhere for a long long time and there is no reason to play him in an exibition game.

  7. #97
    Good Times! redxalonso's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,964
    Liked
    116 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    That is a simple fix.. Get rid of the salary cap. And stop playing when there are international games. Other leagues have no problem with their marque teams going down to the lower divisions.

    Expand/merge to 20 teams. 10 in upper league 10 in lower league. 10 upper league teams play each team 4 times. Which is exactly the same amount of games other upper echelon leagues play. Have a US Open Cup and an MLS Cup (only upper division teams).

    The talent pool would be even tighter than now too (at least in the upper division)

    I can dream. This would totally pique my interest in MLS too.
    Not having a salary cap or any parity IS the problem with soccer leagues around the world. Having another Roman Abramovich buy an MLS title for the LA Galaxy is not healthy for the league.

    However, the relegation system for the MLS would be a good idea. It would keep most team interested all the way through the season.

  8. #98
    MVP SuxBeingU's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    11,753
    Liked
    146 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    My family is family friends of the Frank Yallop (Head Coach of the Galaxy)

    And as of today, David Beckham will not play on saturday. He isn't going anywhere for a long long time and there is no reason to play him in an exibition game.

    not to bust your balls BUT ESPN had this same story as early as 11AM today on the radio. Not a big surprise. Whay will happen first becks plays or Yallop get fired ?

  9. #99
    Oh Babu KOPISTAR's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,188
    Liked
    306 times
    Karma
    3483079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuxBeingU View Post
    not to bust your balls BUT ESPN had this same story as early as 11AM today on the radio. Not a big surprise. Whay will happen first becks plays or Yallop get fired ?
    He's nervous about that whole situation but apparently the Real Madrid coach is thinking about coming here to coach the USA team.

    For the moment those are all rumours.

  10. #100
    Good Times! redxalonso's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,964
    Liked
    116 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    He's nervous about that whole situation but apparently the Real Madrid coach is thinking about coming here to coach the USA team.

    For the moment those are all rumours.
    That ex-Real Madrid coach, Fabio Capello, has won with every top teams he's coached.

    That pattern would lead to nothing but good things for Team USA.

    However, I thought he was linked to the NY Red Bulls
    http://www.soccer-weblog.com/5022671...ah_why_not.php

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28