Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 137
  1. #51
    at the bar Annapurna's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,937
    Liked
    85 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Default

    I care.



    Oh yeah.

    Actually, We're EPL fans over here, but we're going to make it to a Galaxy game down the street this season and finally check out the MLS. I might buy myself a Becks Galaxy jersey too, if I can find one.

  2. #52
    MVP SuxBeingU's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    11,754
    Liked
    147 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Default

    I love ignorance as much as the next guy but if you're going post stupid things as facts at least have an idea about what you're talking about.

    I HATE HATE HATE The Galaxy for very personal reasons but I don't slam them because of it. Much like some here are doing because they don't know anything about soccer.

  3. #53
    MVP SuxBeingU's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    11,754
    Liked
    147 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snape View Post
    I care.



    Oh yeah.

    Actually, We're EPL fans over here, but we're going to make it to a Galaxy game down the street this season and finally check out the MLS. I might buy myself a Becks Galaxy jersey too, if I can find one.
    Please don't judge the MLS by teh Galaxys quality of play. While will get better with Becks, Xavier and Pavon their style is not very exciting. Check out Chivas USA less support for now but they play attacking soccer for 90 minutes. You don't see much of that in MLS. We also have far more passionate fans even though we are smaller in numbers.

  4. #54
    Good Times! redxalonso's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    Liked
    119 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck View Post
    simple...it's a major sporting event that happens every what? 4 years? Tournaments of any kind will attract large crowds because they are short tournaments and offer the lure of USA USA vs the rest of the world. Americans are competitive. We watch gymnastics every 4 years because we want to beat other countries. As soon as the Olympics are over we don't watch it. Heck it isn't even televised.



    I think the sporting landscape is much different when Gretzky came to down than it is today. LA fans were much more receptive at the time because it gave them and opportunity to win another championship. The Lakers had come into their own winning 5 rings in the 80's, the Dodgers won in '81 and '88 and the Raiders even stopped by to bring a couple of Super Bowl rings to the city of Angels. There was pre-mature talk as LA as the "City of Champions." What about the Kings? They didn't have one but now they have the "Great One" and the sports fans of LA had visions of suckling at Lord Stanleys teat. Sure the Kings had about 8,000 die hard fans back then but when Wayne showed up suddenly the wheels fell off the bandwagon.

    Well today, the Raiders are gone, the Lakers suck, the Dodgers haven't won in nearly 20 years and the Kings are cupless. Believe me, the sports fans of Los Angeles want the Lakers and Dodgers to get back to winning again much more than they care about Beckham.



    Trust me, those jerseys are hanging in the deep corner of most trendy American tourists closets. They only wore them when they were traveling in mother England so that they can look like they belong.
    I practically grew up in LA and I don't care about the Galaxy as I think the standard of MLS is crap.

    However, this is beyond the MLS and the Galaxy(even though they're going to make bank).

    Like the Women's world cup or any major sporting event, from now on the Galaxy playing in any MLS Stadium is going to be viewed as a major sporting event because of Beckham

    Americans like winners and Beckham is a winner on and off the pitch. It pains me to say this about an ex-ManU player.

    I agree with you that this is going to be a blip, but only in the media. Like the Greg Lemond and Gretzky effect, I can see millions more kids sticking to soccer throughout their teenage years instead of opting for the other four higher paying team sports before the age of 12.

  5. #55
    Thats MR Captain to you!! wngr2552's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,406
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wouldn't mind seeing one game while he is here..
    But over all.. LA doesn't need anymore famous people being chased in their cars..

  6. #56
    Shepard4Kings CHARAzard's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,465
    Liked
    451 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

    Default

    Does it really matter that much? The vast majority of Americans only care about football, baseball, and basketball anyway....

    The reason the MLS and NHL aren't that strong, for one, is because a majority of the teams are expansion and not many true, deep rivalries exist that are known by many Americans....

    In baseball, people know and will watch the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry, or the Chicago/Green Bay NFL rivalry, or the Lakers vs. anyone in the NBA (Showtime, Shaq, Kobe). I'm not saying their isn't as much history in the NHL, it's just that the casual sports fan cares more about the big three sports than the NHL. That is just the way it is and that is how it will continue.


    Beckham will boost the popularity of the MLS, but I think a goal of the league was to try and attract other good international players and expand interest in the league.

    So what if he brings his "brand" to LA? How many people here promote themselves already? He will definetly be fun to watch for a few years, as he is a step up in skill from much of the current MLS competition...

  7. #57
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redxalonso View Post
    I practically grew up in LA and I don't care about the Galaxy as I think the standard of MLS is crap.
    Crap in relative terms...

  8. #58
    Good Times! redxalonso's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    Liked
    119 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepperdine View Post
    I have to agree with Alexi a little on this. While MLS is absolutely nowhere near Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool, I believe that a top MLS team could play some of the mid-low EPL teams fairly effectively. Remember Fulham (I think it was them) came over a few years ago for an MLS friendly tour and only went .500. American soccer is getting better, maybe in a decade or two the top teams will be able to make a mark on the world stage.

    I also agree that there is definately a market for 'good' in any sport here, be it soccer, football or anything else. American fans won't support a loser. As long as the ownership is makeing a good faith attempt to get better (I'm looking at you LA Kings Management), the fans will generally support them
    Alexis Lalas is just trying to get more attention for the MLS. Any EPL teams on tour in America are in preseason form whereas MLS teams are in mid season form when they meet.

    Any EPL team in mid season form would beat any MLS teams 8 times out of 10. Physically and tactically, the best MLS dwarfs many other European Leagues never mind the EPL which is THE most physical league like the NBA equivalent of soccer.

    With the exception of goalkeepers, the best American players all, except for Bobby Convey, end up playing for bottom half EPL teams and Convey only got 8 games for Reading. A total of less than 10 out of all current and former MLS players in mediocre EPL squads, and not starters, should be a good indication.

    Juan Pablo Angel is a washed up striker who was only average at best for another mediocre EPL team in Aston Villa, yet he becomes a star in the MLS.

    Landon Donovan, another media hyped up MLS star who looked out of his depth in the World Cup, and too much of a wuss to stick it out in the Bundesliga.

    The only other person besides Beckham with winning experience at the elite level is N.E Revolution manager Steve Nicol, who was part of the dominant Liverpool era in the 80's.

    Any team managed by him could get a better than .200 result against mid season form EPL teams and that's a big IF because the EPL will distribute more money to each team beginning next season because of a new TV deal. Also, the EPL are attracting more billionaires to buy clubs, the league does not have a salary cap, and are attracting more elite talents than ever to play in the league.

    Alexi Lalas is either a very good PR machine or he's just flat out delusional.

  9. #59
    MVP SuxBeingU's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    11,754
    Liked
    147 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redxalonso View Post
    Alexis Lalas is just trying to get more attention for the MLS. Any EPL teams on tour in America are in preseason form whereas MLS teams are in mid season form when they meet.

    Any EPL team in mid season form would beat any MLS teams 8 times out of 10. Physically and tactically, the best MLS dwarfs many other European Leagues never mind the EPL which is THE most physical league like the NBA equivalent of soccer.

    With the exception of goalkeepers, the best American players all, except for Bobby Convey, end up playing for bottom half EPL teams and Convey only got 8 games for Reading. A total of less than 10 out of all current and former MLS players in mediocre EPL squads, and not starters, should be a good indication.

    Juan Pablo Angel is a washed up striker who was only average at best for another mediocre EPL team in Aston Villa, yet he becomes a star in the MLS.

    Landon Donovan, another media hyped up MLS star who looked out of his depth in the World Cup, and too much of a wuss to stick it out in the Bundesliga.

    The only other person besides Beckham with winning experience at the elite level is N.E Revolution manager Steve Nicol, who was part of the dominant Liverpool era in the 80's.

    Any team managed by him could get a better than .200 result against mid season form EPL teams and that's a big IF because the EPL will distribute more money to each team beginning next season because of a new TV deal. Also, the EPL are attracting more billionaires to buy clubs, the league does not have a salary cap, and are attracting more elite talents than ever to play in the league.

    Alexi Lalas is either a very good PR machine or he's just flat out delusional.

    Can you say Eurosnob?

    exactly how many MLS games have to attended in the last 3 years? I am guess less than 2 if any at all.
    10 years MLS sucked, no question. They have come along way adn are far more competitve than they were years ago. If you listen to the players who have come here they say it way more physically demanding and alot tougher than they thought.
    Get off the high horse and drag your ass to a few games. I'll vene supply the tickets for a future Chivas game. If you want come down tomorrow night we play the Columbus Crew at 7:30PM. PM how many tix you need.
    Last edited by SuxBeingU; July 13th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

  10. #60
    King of all Kings Byatch1979's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,102
    Liked
    78 times
    Karma
    9005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Am I reading this correctly? Are the words 'physical' and 'Soccer' being used together in a few posts?

    Hopefully with Beck's huge paycheck, he can feed Posh a little more.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28