Click Here!
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 137

Thread: Beckham - does anyone care?

  1. #71
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
    It's like Jim Rome said
    Awwwww, there goes your argument....

  2. #72
    Roadrunner Great/WHA MVP KINGS17's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    13,511
    Liked
    1105 times
    Karma
    1485090
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    867 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
    Awwwww, there goes your argument....
    Yeah, hardly anyone follows his nationally syndicated radio show and ESPN TV broadcast. He definitely doesn't know anything about what American sports fans like and don't like.

    Weak effort on your part. Next time don't suck and have a take.

    Geez, all this hype and the little princess might not even play in the first game, because he has a sore ankle?

    Rule #1 in American sports, learn the difference between an injury and playing hurt.
    Last edited by KINGS17; July 17th, 2007 at 02:21 PM.
    Hockey's original bad boy. The "Cowboy" Howie Young


  3. #73
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
    Rule #1 in American sports, learn the difference between an injury and playing hurt.
    Americans like baseball because guys don't sit out with extreme sunburns or sneeze-induced back pain. Americans hate hockey because all the players are pussies.

    It must hurt to be that wrong. Hopefully, you can post through it.

  4. #74
    Statto
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

    Geez, all this hype and the little princess might not even play in the first game, because he has a sore ankle?

    Rule #1 in American sports, learn the difference between an injury and playing hurt.
    I can't believe I going to defend Beckham, but here goes. The one thing you can't take away from Beckham is his heart and commitment. He often plays hurt and has played on several occasions for England when he has clearly been too injured to step on the pitch. In the 2002 world cup he came back from a broken Metatarsal in something like 4-5 weeks and played despite the fact it had not healed fully.

    Still overrated though...

  5. #75
    Roadrunner Great/WHA MVP KINGS17's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    13,511
    Liked
    1105 times
    Karma
    1485090
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    867 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
    Americans like baseball because guys don't sit out with extreme sunburns or sneeze-induced back pain. Americans hate hockey because all the players are pussies.

    It must hurt to be that wrong. Hopefully, you can post through it.
    Why do you think football has replaced baseball as America's #1 sport?

    There are many reasons, but one of them is that football players in general have more heart and play through injuries. We love the tough hitting in the game and the finesse that it takes to play the skill positions.

    The major thing that keeps baseball in the top three is it's history and our fascination with the skill of being able to hit a round ball with a round bat over 400 feet. It's exciting.

    What is the most exciting play in soccer?
    Hockey's original bad boy. The "Cowboy" Howie Young


  6. #76
    nki
    nki is offline
    1st Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,813
    Liked
    466 times
    Karma
    1148020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Default

    Gotta love the myth that soccer is soft. Oh and there are hardly any helmets or pads here.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=QfUs_XB55IM

    or boring...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=GWxHfmGKLlY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=P-bWsOK-h98

    It's all fine if NA doesn't like it, just don't bash the sport and make stuff up. I don't like baseball either, but i won't make stuff up about it to support my claim.

  7. #77
    krudmonk
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
    Why do you think football has replaced baseball as America's #1 sport?

    There are many reasons, but one of them is that football players in general have more heart and play through injuries. We love the tough hitting in the game and the finesse that it takes to play the skill positions.
    The skill positions are very much affected when players are hurt. It's mostly the brutes that play through injuries because precision is not nearly as important in their game as strength is. If a quarterback has a busted finger, his game is limited. If he has a hurt knee, he stands still while guys block for him. Can a soccer player stand still and remain effective in a 90 minute game on a 75mx110m (about average) field? Absolutely not. You only assume it's an issue of toughness.

    Don't try and put things side-by-side for comparison when they're anything but similar.

  8. #78
    Part IV. A new begining.. empire's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8,970
    Liked
    18071 times
    Karma
    1474588
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks nki,

    I enjoyed the football, except for seeing that Maradona goal against England, that was after the "hand of god" goal. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Still say England would of won had they called the penalty..

  9. #79
    Bruins Fan Gator Mike's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    1,244
    Liked
    75 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redxalonso View Post
    Any EPL team in mid season form would beat any MLS teams 8 times out of 10.
    We'll agree to disagree. I'm thinking a team like Houston would certainly hold their own against the likes of Watford.

    With the exception of goalkeepers, the best American players all, except for Bobby Convey, end up playing for bottom half EPL teams and Convey only got 8 games for Reading.
    ...because he was hurt, not because he couldn't cut it. And let's not forget that it's very difficult for American players to qualify for work permits. There are probably only 15-20 guys who could even qualify for a work permit in England.

    Juan Pablo Angel is a washed up striker who was only average at best for another mediocre EPL team in Aston Villa, yet he becomes a star in the MLS.
    For every Juan Pablo Angel, there's a Shaun Bartlett, who went from the MetroStars' bench to a part-time starter for Charlton. Or a Steve Howey, who was one of the worst MLS defenders I've ever seen. Or a Lothar Matthaeus, who went straight from Bayern Munich's starting lineup to being a huge disappointment in New York.

    Any team managed by him could get a better than .200 result against mid season form EPL teams
    Steve Nicol has won exactly nothing in MLS.

  10. #80
    All Star




    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,942
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
    Why do you think football has replaced baseball as America's #1 sport?

    There are many reasons, but one of them is that football players in general have more heart and play through injuries. We love the tough hitting in the game and the finesse that it takes to play the skill positions.

    The major thing that keeps baseball in the top three is it's history and our fascination with the skill of being able to hit a round ball with a round bat over 400 feet. It's exciting.

    What is the most exciting play in soccer?
    I'm guessing a bicycle kick for a goal. Unfortunately that happens like once every decade. lol

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66