Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 232
  1. #51
    SystemOfACrown
    Guest

    Thumbs down

    Going back to the Margarito-Williams fight I have to say I had Margarito winning that. Tapping the other dudes gloves and looking more active shouldn't score you a victory.

    Anyone else want to see HBO's paper champion Jermaine Taylor get knocked out by Kelly Pavlik? Pavlik better knock him out because Taylor won't lose a decision.

  2. #52
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,264
    Liked
    1702 times
    Karma
    1396926
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1043 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemOfACrown View Post
    Going back to the Margarito-Williams fight I have to say I had Margarito winning that. Tapping the other dudes gloves and looking more active shouldn't score you a victory.

    Anyone else want to see HBO's paper champion Jermaine Taylor get knocked out by Kelly Pavlik? Pavlik better knock him out because Taylor won't lose a decision.
    I had Williams winning 116-112.

    Yeah, I can't wait for Pavlik to rip Taylor up.

  3. #53
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemOfACrown View Post
    Going back to the Margarito-Williams fight I have to say I had Margarito winning that. Tapping the other dudes gloves and looking more active shouldn't score you a victory.
    Williams didn't look more active, he WAS more active. Margarito made a late charge but any boxer should know that you can't give up that many early rounds and still win a decision. I agree that Margarito did block a lot of what Williams was throwing but he didn't mount any kind of offense in the early rounds and Williams did land a fair share of jabs in Margarito's face. Remember one of the 4 criteria for winning fights is effective aggresiveness.

    Not to mention Margarito clearly crapped out in the 12th and didn't fight in thar round. If he really wanted it he should have gone for broke in that round. IF he did, he would have forced a majority draw and would be slated to fight Miguel Cotto. His whining after the fight was pathetic, if he really wanted to win he should have fought in the 12th.

  4. #54
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotnothing View Post

    Most interestingly, I saw some members of the Kings management there. One was a guy who I see all the time at Staples Center, but I don't know who he is or what he does. The other guy is someone I used to see all the time at Staples Center, and now the current President of Business Operations. I didn't get a chance to talk to either of them, unfortunately. They left around the 8th round.
    Robitallie was there with Lewieke. Camera didn't show them directly, but you could easily make them out on TV. Interesting that you saw Kings management guys there but didn't notice Luc.

    He was at the Samuel Peter-James Toney fight I watched in Staples as well.

  5. #55
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemOfACrown View Post
    Anyone else want to see HBO's paper champion Jermaine Taylor get knocked out by Kelly Pavlik? Pavlik better knock him out because Taylor won't lose a decision.
    I'm anxious to see how Jermain Taylor does against a conventional opponent. In other words a guy who will stand in front of him and fight.

    Certainly Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright are anything but conventional and can make the best fighters look bad. All three of those fights were tossups and I can see why some people think Taylor should have lost all 3. But then again it was fairly impressive to see a raw fighter hang in with the best for 36 rounds.

    I think he should have blasted Kassim Ouma who was moving up in weight, I was disappointed in Taylor's performance there. This last fight against Spinx was a snoozefest but Spinx is a matchup nightmare, a guy who won't fight and will just run. Detractors of Mayweather should watch a couple Spinx fights. At least Mayweater throws leather, Spinx does nothing of the sort.

    Pavlik will stand and trade with Taylor and he does look more skilled in terms of technique. Taylor is very raw and even working with Emmanuel Steward hasn't helped him so much(admittedly he's never had a full training camp with Steward since Taylor wants to train in the south). I hope oddsmakers install Taylor as the favorite cause I want to lay some chalk down on Pavlik. Either way I think Jermain will look better in this fight than he has in the past, ironically I think he will lose though.

  6. #56
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As many of you know, if Antonio Margarito had beaten Paul Williams he would have fought Miguel Cotto in the fall. Since that didn't happen and with Golden Boy and Top Rank back on good terms a new opponent has been found for Miguel Cotto. None other than Sugar Shane Mosley.

    Personally I am very excited for this bout. It will be a huge step up in competition for Cotto, he has never seen a fighter that has the tools that Mosley has: speed, power, and smarts. Mosley is one of my favorite fighters, second only to Pac-Man and he continues his long tradition of fighting the best.

    I think this will be a dynamite fight, Cotto is an all action brute force fighter with a devestating body attack. Probably the best left hook to the body since Chavez. While Mosley is a speedy and skilled fighter who is an action fighter as well. One thing is for sure Mosley won't run, he never has.

    This will be a great fight, if Cotto wins he is vaulted to the top 5 of pound for pound rankings and with that win under his belt he'll force other big fights. If Mosley wins he gets another name to add to his hall of fame boxing resume. It should be a great one.

  7. #57
    SystemOfACrown
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Williams didn't look more active, he WAS more active. Margarito made a late charge but any boxer should know that you can't give up that many early rounds and still win a decision. I agree that Margarito did block a lot of what Williams was throwing but he didn't mount any kind of offense in the early rounds and Williams did land a fair share of jabs in Margarito's face. Remember one of the 4 criteria for winning fights is effective aggresiveness.

    Not to mention Margarito clearly crapped out in the 12th and didn't fight in thar round. If he really wanted it he should have gone for broke in that round. IF he did, he would have forced a majority draw and would be slated to fight Miguel Cotto. His whining after the fight was pathetic, if he really wanted to win he should have fought in the 12th.
    Boxing is about who lands the cleaner, harder, more effective shots.

    Agree with you on the first two rounds but after that it was Margarito who got the best of Paul Williams by chasing him down and getting the better shots.

    I wouldn't call what Williams was doing effective aggressiveness it was more of an effective "looking like your aggressive and causing ZERO damage"...It's the way judges have been scoring fights since Leonard vs Hagler. Style over substance.

    I had it 115-113 Margarito...obviously not an onslaught but still the victory for Antonio.

    Watch the fight on mute without the cheerleading of the HBO groupies...well...Larry Merchant rules...

  8. #58
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemOfACrown View Post
    Boxing is about who lands the cleaner, harder, more effective shots.

    Agree with you on the first two rounds but after that it was Margarito who got the best of Paul Williams by chasing him down and getting the better shots.

    I wouldn't call what Williams was doing effective aggressiveness it was more of an effective "looking like your aggressive and causing ZERO damage"...It's the way judges have been scoring fights since Leonard vs Hagler. Style over substance.

    I had it 115-113 Margarito...obviously not an onslaught but still the victory for Antonio.

    Watch the fight on mute without the cheerleading of the HBO groupies...well...Larry Merchant rules...
    I disagree, Margarito didn't start fighting in the third, he was still giving away rounds at that point. I don't think he woke up until at least the 6th.

    And still, he never hurt Williams until the 11th round, both guys have good chins, plus I don't think either of them have great power. Williams didn't hurt Margarito either but he still landed plenty of clean punches.

    Not to mention, Margarito still took it easy in the 12th round, something that you simply cannot do in a close fight and Williams took him completley out of his game. Margarito is known as a puncher who throws a ton of leather at his opponent. Against Williams he did nothing of the sort.

    Haggler-Leonard is a terrible comparison, since Leonard stole many of those rounds by flurrying during the last 10 seconds of the round. Williams landed clean punches throughout the rounds plus its not like he's a known commodity like Leonard was. This fight was in Margarito's back yard.

  9. #59
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Also Mayweather-Hatton has been agreed to in principle for December 8th.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2952696

    I think Hatton will be exposed in this fight(if he wasn't already by Luis Collazo). And will lose a pretty lopsided decision. The most fight fans can hope for is that he at least makes Mayweather fight a few rounds but I'm not holding my breath.

  10. #60
    !!PLAY RACQUETBALL!! Rob2716's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,232
    Liked
    27 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    As many of you know, if Antonio Margarito had beaten Paul Williams he would have fought Miguel Cotto in the fall. Since that didn't happen and with Golden Boy and Top Rank back on good terms a new opponent has been found for Miguel Cotto. None other than Sugar Shane Mosley.

    Personally I am very excited for this bout. It will be a huge step up in competition for Cotto, he has never seen a fighter that has the tools that Mosley has: speed, power, and smarts. Mosley is one of my favorite fighters, second only to Pac-Man and he continues his long tradition of fighting the best.

    I think this will be a dynamite fight, Cotto is an all action brute force fighter with a devestating body attack. Probably the best left hook to the body since Chavez. While Mosley is a speedy and skilled fighter who is an action fighter as well. One thing is for sure Mosley won't run, he never has.

    This will be a great fight, if Cotto wins he is vaulted to the top 5 of pound for pound rankings and with that win under his belt he'll force other big fights. If Mosley wins he gets another name to add to his hall of fame boxing resume. It should be a great one.


    Wow. Hadn't heard about this, so thanks for the info. If this happens, it will be a great fight. Will be interesting to see how Cotto deals with Shane's speed and boxing. Shane can be pretty relentless to the body himself, when he's really on his game. If Shane can beat Cotto, Mayweather won't be able to duck Mosley.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28