Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 223
  1. #141
    trdi
    Guest

    Default

    I was almost sure Cavic was going to win the event - even the day before. He is the best swimmer in this discipline in the world. I guess for 8 medals you do need to win even the events where you aren't the best, meaning somebody needs to screw up big time.

  2. #142
    <3 Tanner <3 TooCool's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,764
    Liked
    5398 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1454 Post(s)

    Default

    Any Track and Field fans here? I honestly am kind of bummed that the Swimming and Gymnastics is pretty much over. In the past, I really could never get into Track and Field... so since swimming + gymnastics is over for the most part, most of the Olympics is considered "finished" for me. But I'm definitely going to Track a chance again, I guess.

    I have a question though...

    Since I found out on LGK here like 3-5 days ago that the middle lanes were of huge advantage, because according to the NBCOlympics Website... it says:

    "Being in the middle of the pool is advantageous because waves reverberating off the side walls can slow a swimmer. Also, swimmers in the middle lanes are better able to monitor other competitors."

    For Track, is this the same situation? Does it matter what lane you're in? From someone who knows nothing about track, and from High School Physical Education experience. It's obvious that running in the inside area is shorter than the outside ones. Is that the same case for the Olympics? Or are they all the same distance because of the different start markers?
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    While it seems like most of you are allergic to the "like" button, I just want to personally say thanks for looking anyway.

    Rink Dawg

  3. #143
    trdi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    Any Track and Field fans here? I honestly am kind of bummed that the Swimming and Gymnastics is pretty much over. In the past, I really could never get into Track and Field... so since swimming + gymnastics is over for the most part, most of the Olympics is considered "finished" for me. But I'm definitely going to Track a chance again, I guess.

    I have a question though...

    Since I found out on LGK here like 3-5 days ago that the middle lanes were of huge advantage, because according to the NBCOlympics Website... it says:

    "Being in the middle of the pool is advantageous because waves reverberating off the side walls can slow a swimmer. Also, swimmers in the middle lanes are better able to monitor other competitors."

    For Track, is this the same situation? Does it matter what lane you're in? From someone who knows nothing about track, and from High School Physical Education experience. It's obvious that running in the inside area is shorter than the outside ones. Is that the same case for the Olympics? Or are they all the same distance because of the different start markers?
    You didn't know about swimming lanes? It's funny what a guy like Phelps can do...

    For running you are probably talking about 200 and 400m events. Runners prefer lanes 1-4. Simply because you have everyone else in front of you, you see them all. It's easier to control opponents if you are chasing them. Lane 8 is the lane they all hate. Apart from that, they are all the same.

  4. #144
    <3 Tanner <3 TooCool's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,764
    Liked
    5398 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1454 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trdi View Post
    You didn't know about swimming lanes? It's funny what a guy like Phelps can do...

    For running you are probably talking about 200 and 400m events. Runners prefer lanes 1-4. Simply because you have everyone else in front of you, you see them all. It's easier to control opponents if you are chasing them. Lane 8 is the lane they all hate. Apart from that, they are all the same.
    Thanks trdi

    Yeah, I liked swimming before... but I didn't watch EVERY race until this year.

    So when I started paying more attention to the races, I got curious as to why the winners were mostly from the inside lanes and not the outside ones. That's how I found out.

    If Phelps had Lanes 1 or 8 for his swims, would he still have gotten all the gold medals he has right now?
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    While it seems like most of you are allergic to the "like" button, I just want to personally say thanks for looking anyway.

    Rink Dawg

  5. #145
    trdi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    If Phelps had Lanes 1 or 8 for his swims, would he still have gotten all the gold medals he has right now?
    Most of them. He probably wouldn't get #7. But that's all guessing. BTW, did you see the new WR in 100m sprint? That was great, the event of these Games for me. The guy was celebrating in last 10-15 meters and still set an amazing WR. 9.69!

  6. #146
    Hand of the Kings Deadmarsh28's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,439
    Liked
    362 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trdi View Post
    Most of them. He probably wouldn't get #7. But that's all guessing. BTW, did you see the new WR in 100m sprint? That was great, the event of these Games for me. The guy was celebrating in last 10-15 meters and still set an amazing WR. 9.69!
    That race was amazing. I'm still asking myself why he "wasted" those last meters...the WR time could have been way lower!

    One broadcaster summed it up nicely: "That was not a 100m race, it was more like a 60m race! After that it was all over."

  7. #147
    trdi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmarsh28 View Post
    I'm still asking myself why he "wasted" those last meters...
    Who?

  8. #148
    Hand of the Kings Deadmarsh28's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,439
    Liked
    362 times
    Karma
    1040000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trdi View Post
    Who?
    Usain Bolt, as you said, he celebrated on the last 15m meters. I'm just wondering why he didn't go all the way...

  9. #149
    trdi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmarsh28 View Post
    Usain Bolt, as you said, he celebrated on the last 15m meters. I'm just wondering why he didn't go all the way...
    Ooooohh! Haha, I thought you were talking about Cavic-Phelps race. Funny, just couldn't get your point.

    And yeah, the race was just a total domination. it was over after 60 meters, he was celebrating AND... and... the wind was around 0.0! Imagine +2.0 help.

  10. #150
    Team LGK Cross Traffic's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,925
    Liked
    294 times
    Karma
    1257300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

    Default

    We had a celebration in Boise today for Kristen Armstrong who won the women's time trial in cycling. About 1500 people showed up at city hall along with another 1500 that rode along with Kristen from the YMCA about a mile away.

    Things like this make it fun to live in this quiet little mountain town.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28