Click Here!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Does anybody like shooting?

  1. #21
    Darkside LOSTcauseZERO's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    Liked
    1756 times
    Karma
    1010100
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

    Default

    ColdWarShooters.net is a good website to check out if you're looking for a rifle.

  2. #22
    this guy sucks. Lappy!'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,569
    Liked
    450 times
    Karma
    1055832
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    anyone have any experience with a mosin nagant 91/30?
    it's the rifle used by Jude Law in Enemy at the Gates.
    ^This post is completely idiotic, don't read it.^

  3. #23
    Go, Kings, Go rinkrat's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    210,866
    Liked
    7290 times
    Karma
    55431126
    Images
    6660
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

    Default

    I shoot with a camera. That way I don't kill anything.

  4. #24
    Regina...rhymes with fun RockPile's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,109
    Liked
    180 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lappycomehome View Post
    anyone have any experience with a mosin nagant 91/30?
    it's the rifle used by Jude Law in Enemy at the Gates.
    Do you have one or are you looking into buying one?

  5. #25
    this guy sucks. Lappy!'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,569
    Liked
    450 times
    Karma
    1055832
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPile View Post
    Do you have one or are you looking into buying one?
    I wanted to try it out 'cause of the movie.
    picked one up last week, haven't fired it yet.
    they come covered in some thick nasty crap the russians coated 'em with before putting 'em in storage.

    I got it all cleaned out and ready to go, but don't know anyone else who has fired one.
    I've read a lot of stories online about how terrible the recoil is, but who knows what those guys are used to shooting.

    was gonna test it out this weekend, but bad weather/visibility on sat, and Olympic hockey sun prevented it. Probably go next weekend.
    ^This post is completely idiotic, don't read it.^

  6. #26
    Regina...rhymes with fun RockPile's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,109
    Liked
    180 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lappycomehome View Post
    I wanted to try it out 'cause of the movie.
    picked one up last week, haven't fired it yet.
    they come covered in some thick nasty crap the russians coated 'em with before putting 'em in storage.

    I got it all cleaned out and ready to go, but don't know anyone else who has fired one.
    I've read a lot of stories online about how terrible the recoil is, but who knows what those guys are used to shooting.

    was gonna test it out this weekend, but bad weather/visibility on sat, and Olympic hockey sun prevented it. Probably go next weekend.
    Most surplus guns are covered in Cosmoline. It can be really tough to remove. Unless you did a really good job removing it you'll find the stock will sweat cosmoline when it gets hot (messy). As long as you thoroughly cleaned the bolt, chamber and barrel you should be good to shoot though, otherwise the rifle could be unsafe.

    The 7.62 54R round is akin to a 30.06 in power, but although the gun is heavy, the solid buttplate will transfer all that energy directly to your shoulder. If you aren't used to heavy recoil, a slip-on buttpad might help.

    If you are looking to turn the rifle into a smooth, accurate shooter there are a lot of websites that will help you out. I understand that their triggers are pretty rough and the tolerances in the action are pretty loose which is understandable in an old battle rifle.

    If you aren't already familiar with them, I'd check out the following sites and definitely do a search on cosmoline removal:
    Calguns.net
    THR - Powered by vBulletin

    Have fun and let me know how it went.

  7. #27
    4 legs good 2 legs better DeathToPigs's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1035000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lappycomehome View Post
    I wanted to try it out 'cause of the movie.
    picked one up last week, haven't fired it yet.
    they come covered in some thick nasty crap the russians coated 'em with before putting 'em in storage.

    I got it all cleaned out and ready to go, but don't know anyone else who has fired one.
    I've read a lot of stories online about how terrible the recoil is, but who knows what those guys are used to shooting.

    was gonna test it out this weekend, but bad weather/visibility on sat, and Olympic hockey sun prevented it. Probably go next weekend.
    My cousin has one. I fired a few rounds at Angeles Shooting range. Don't know what that coating was, maybe you got one first hand. My cousin put a custom scope on it that he welded directly to chamber so it's permanent. I make fun of him because it's a sin in my book. He also put some rubber at the end that I also make fun of him for, I guess to lessen the kick. I prefer the German Kar98. I do like the russian SVT40, but dunno if those are legal or rare.

  8. #28
    this guy sucks. Lappy!'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,569
    Liked
    450 times
    Karma
    1055832
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPile View Post
    Most surplus guns are covered in Cosmoline. It can be really tough to remove. Unless you did a really good job removing it you'll find the stock will sweat cosmoline when it gets hot (messy). As long as you thoroughly cleaned the bolt, chamber and barrel you should be good to shoot though, otherwise the rifle could be unsafe.

    The 7.62 54R round is akin to a 30.06 in power, but although the gun is heavy, the solid buttplate will transfer all that energy directly to your shoulder. If you aren't used to heavy recoil, a slip-on buttpad might help.

    If you are looking to turn the rifle into a smooth, accurate shooter there are a lot of websites that will help you out. I understand that their triggers are pretty rough and the tolerances in the action are pretty loose which is understandable in an old battle rifle.

    If you aren't already familiar with them, I'd check out the following sites and definitely do a search on cosmoline removal:
    Calguns.net
    THR - Powered by vBulletin

    Have fun and let me know how it went.
    I stripped it down, and soaked all metal parts for a while in amonia, the cosmoline melted away and now patches run clean.
    The wood I just washed with degreasing dish soap, It was no longer sticky to the touch, but there are plenty of scratches in the wood so if it starts seeping when it heats up I guess I'll strip it and refinish.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathToPigs View Post
    My cousin has one. I fired a few rounds at Angeles Shooting range. Don't know what that coating was, maybe you got one first hand. My cousin put a custom scope on it that he welded directly to chamber so it's permanent. I make fun of him because it's a sin in my book. He also put some rubber at the end that I also make fun of him for, I guess to lessen the kick. I prefer the German Kar98. I do like the russian SVT40, but dunno if those are legal or rare.
    I bought the sniper version, so it has the same scope from the movie. I won't alter this one any because I like the history of the rifle, but if I have a good time with it I might get another and modify it a bit. Lessen the recoil, and put a modern scope(the OG is only 4x), maybe synthetic stock to drop some weight.

    I have read a little on the message boards dedicated to the rifle, and those guys break down and cry when they hear of anyone sporterizing these, but there's millions of them availabe so I wouldn't lose sleep over bastardizing just one.
    ^This post is completely idiotic, don't read it.^

  9. #29
    1st Scoring Line Ronny Kneecaps's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,921
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Coldwar shooters is overpriced. Try riflegear.com they are friendlier and have better pricing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66