Page 17 of 166 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1660
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Official MMA Thread

  1. #161
    MadDog20/20
    Guest

    Default

    Wow, amazing! I was pissed that I wasn't able to get my money down on Gonzaga in time because of the tape delay. Anybody who put money on him really came up.

  2. #162
    1st Scoring Line ibleedkngs's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,880
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Good news!!!!!

    from http://www.crocop.tk

    Mirko arrived to his hometown today, he was limping a bit. He said: I deserved that loss because of the way i was fighting. I fall down every now and then, i was twice in this situation, after Randleman and after Fedor and i got back up again, i will be back this time too, that is a part of my career. I have 4 more fights to come and i will do them all.

  3. #163
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,821
    Liked
    73 times
    Karma
    20056005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

    Default

    Yay!

  4. #164
    Polyphonic Prostitute OvertimeHero's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    here's a different link to the vid, as Zuffa has already taken it off youtube.

    http://www.crocop.de/gonzaga

  5. #165
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Alright, I think enough time has passed since UFC 70 to post coherently about MMA. What does everything think about where each fighter goes from here? I'll stop with the top down focusing on the fighters I am intrigued by. Feel free to add your thoughts on these guys as well as some fighters I didn't mention.

    Gabriel Gonzaga

    This one is easy since the UFC billed the main even as a #1 contender's spot. Gonzaga will fight Couture next probably a few months from now in Vegas. Gonzaga presents a lot of problems to Randy as Randy struggled with bigger guys when he first moved down from HW. Now I know he handled Tim Sylvia, but the guys he struggled with were grapplers that were bigger than him rather than strikers ie Josh Barnett. Gonzaga is a pretty big guy and by all accounts his BJJ is good. Randy will have to fight the perfect fight to beat Gonzaga. He'll have to fight from the top and be wary of submission attempts from the bottom. He'll also have to beat Gonzaga to the punch when the fight is standing. Many think that Dana White is probably pretty pissed that his Couture-Cro Cop match is now delayed. While I think that's true, its not as bad as it seems. With the way Gonzaga won, the UFC can market Gonzaga as a monster and build him up pretty well. So I think its a fight that will still sell. Plus people really love Randy.

    Mirko Cro Cop

    Well I'm glad to hear that Cro Cop isn't considering retiring. From ibleedkngs' post it seems that Cro Cop hasn't lost motivation and will be a more determined fighter. Maybe this serves as a wake up call to him. I think many of us were worried because in the past Cro Cop has always talked about retiring, in the run up to last year's Open Weight Grand Prix, Cro Cop stated that if he didn't win he would retire. Anyways, I'm going to assume that Cro Cop will need awhile to recover his leg/knee/ankle looked pretty gruesome. Who does the UFC put him in with when he comes back though? Here's an idea, I don't think Dana is in a hurry to bring Tim Sylvia back. With Big Nog, Vera, Herring, etc. in the HW division, Sylvia might be put on the back burner. Plus he has a back injury he needs to recover from. Maybe set up a Cro Cop-Sylvia fight when both guys are ready? If not Sylvia probably a can in the Eddie Sanchez mold to build Mirko some momentum.

    Andre Arlovski

    AA was a bit disappointing in this fight. The first round was pretty good, lots of action then Arlovski went into Tim Sylvia mode and just stayed away and didn't engage. He did just enough to win the fight so props to him for that but I don't think he endeared himself to Dana White and his fans for that matter. Granted it was a tricky matchup and he didn't want to go to the ground with Werdum. How about setting Arlovski up with Chiek Kongo. Both guys will want to keep the fight standing and Kongo is a dynamic striker in his own right. This fight would be a fight of the year candidate while it lasts I think.

    Fabricio Werdum

    Why didn't this guy try and shoot and pull guard more? He was clearly outclassed standing. Even when he did try and stand with Arlovski he wasn't very aggressive. Anyways, maybe they can put him in with big Nog to help Nogueira get over with the American fans. Although there are rumors of a Nogueira-Vera matchup. While I think this fight would be exciting, it doesn't make much sense as I don't know why the UFC would want to ruin one of their title contenders when there are other fights they could make. If that fight happens, I'm all for it though.

    Michael Bisping

    Elvis gave the Brit a scare but Bisping was pretty impressive. His ground and pound was pretty devestating and when the fight was standing he was getting the better of the fight. He got caught with a knee that came out of nowhere but recovered and his submission defense looked really good. I was really impressed by Bisping's cardio. He pushed the fight relentlessly and gassed Sinosic. I think Bisping needs a step up in competition to show whether or not he can do it against upper echelon guys. Maybe a fight with Forrest Griffin? Or with Ryoto Machida who also won on this card.

  6. #166
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,005
    Liked
    1078 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Gabriel Gonzaga

    This one is easy since the UFC billed the main even as a #1 contender's spot. Gonzaga will fight Couture next probably a few months from now in Vegas. Gonzaga presents a lot of problems to Randy as Randy struggled with bigger guys when he first moved down from HW. Now I know he handled Tim Sylvia, but the guys he struggled with were grapplers that were bigger than him rather than strikers ie Josh Barnett. Gonzaga is a pretty big guy and by all accounts his BJJ is good. Randy will have to fight the perfect fight to beat Gonzaga. He'll have to fight from the top and be wary of submission attempts from the bottom. He'll also have to beat Gonzaga to the punch when the fight is standing. Many think that Dana White is probably pretty pissed that his Couture-Cro Cop match is now delayed. While I think that's true, its not as bad as it seems. With the way Gonzaga won, the UFC can market Gonzaga as a monster and build him up pretty well. So I think its a fight that will still sell. Plus people really love Randy.
    Yeah. Gonzaga looked like the real deal in that fight. Randy is a gamer, but I'm not sure how he'll do in that matchup. Solid striker and good on the ground. Randy's bread and butter is GnP and I don't know how that will play with a sub guy who's four inches taller and 30lbs heavier. Looks like a nasty matchup for him.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Mirko Cro Cop

    Well I'm glad to hear that Cro Cop isn't considering retiring. From ibleedkngs' post it seems that Cro Cop hasn't lost motivation and will be a more determined fighter. Maybe this serves as a wake up call to him. I think many of us were worried because in the past Cro Cop has always talked about retiring, in the run up to last year's Open Weight Grand Prix, Cro Cop stated that if he didn't win he would retire. Anyways, I'm going to assume that Cro Cop will need awhile to recover his leg/knee/ankle looked pretty gruesome. Who does the UFC put him in with when he comes back though? Here's an idea, I don't think Dana is in a hurry to bring Tim Sylvia back. With Big Nog, Vera, Herring, etc. in the HW division, Sylvia might be put on the back burner. Plus he has a back injury he needs to recover from. Maybe set up a Cro Cop-Sylvia fight when both guys are ready? If not Sylvia probably a can in the Eddie Sanchez mold to build Mirko some momentum.
    I was thinking the same thing as to who he fights next. That was the big talk when he first came in, now it can happen. Albeit for far less on the line. Well, maybe not less in terms of fan base and UFC future earnings. If Sylvia loses this fight, I don't see White making much of an effort to keep him around. On the flip side, if Crocop loses to Sylvia. . .you have to think Dana will be questioning going after him so hard. We'll see what happens, but it makes for interesting talk.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Andre Arlovski

    AA was a bit disappointing in this fight. The first round was pretty good, lots of action then Arlovski went into Tim Sylvia mode and just stayed away and didn't engage. He did just enough to win the fight so props to him for that but I don't think he endeared himself to Dana White and his fans for that matter. Granted it was a tricky matchup and he didn't want to go to the ground with Werdum. How about setting Arlovski up with Chiek Kongo. Both guys will want to keep the fight standing and Kongo is a dynamic striker in his own right. This fight would be a fight of the year candidate while it lasts I think.
    Good call on that. I think Arlovski would kill him though as he can do stuff on the ground. Nothing fancy, but waaaaaaaaaaay better than Kongo. Sure shapes up to be a fight though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Michael Bisping

    Elvis gave the Brit a scare but Bisping was pretty impressive. His ground and pound was pretty devestating and when the fight was standing he was getting the better of the fight. He got caught with a knee that came out of nowhere but recovered and his submission defense looked really good. I was really impressed by Bisping's cardio. He pushed the fight relentlessly and gassed Sinosic. I think Bisping needs a step up in competition to show whether or not he can do it against upper echelon guys. Maybe a fight with Forrest Griffin? Or with Ryoto Machida who also won on this card.
    I'm a big fan of Bisping, but he seems to have a soft chin going on him. He's been rocked several times and he doesn't seem to have good defense of his head. I hope it improves or else he won't hang long with Griffin/Jardine/Evans/Ortiz. I bet they put him up against Machida next. I know Hamill has been calling him out, but I don't see that happening at all.

  7. #167
    1st Scoring Line ibleedkngs's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,880
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Nice write up ASU.

  8. #168
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Check out this article from CBSsportsline. They are one of the few major sports web sites that attempts to cover MMA. The main article is decent, but the news and notes part of the article were what interested me. Good tidbits there.

    http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10144881/1

  9. #169
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,005
    Liked
    1078 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Check out this article from CBSsportsline. They are one of the few major sports web sites that attempts to cover MMA. The main article is decent, but the news and notes part of the article were what interested me. Good tidbits there.

    http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10144881/1
    Mike Swick revealed to CBS SportsLine that for his next fight he will drop from middleweight to welterweight. Swick gave up a lot of size and strength to his opponent at UFC 69, Yushin Okami.

    "I plan to fight my next fight at 170," declared Swick. "I came in lighter than ever for this one and I think it's best to drop."
    Wow. That division just keeps getting better and better. Swick vs. Sanchez anyone?

    It was confirmed last week that while Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has a contract with the company, it's non-exclusive, and allows him to fight for other promotions. Based on Emelianenko's contract status, there had been some reports he was contracted for more fights with Bodog Fight in addition to his April 14 bout against Matt Lindland.

    Bodog Fight creator Calvin Ayre cleared up any rumors about Emelianenko by telling CBS SportsLine that Fedor is currently not contracted to the company for any future fights.

    "As far as I'm aware, Fedor has a non-exclusive contract with Pride," Ayre confirmed through an e-mail. "But he is not contracted to us for any fights other than the one with Lindland (on) April 14 in Russia."
    Obviously, this is the big one. Curious to see how this all shakes down. Will Fedor EVER fight in the UFC? Any thoughts or odds ASU? I think he's going to have to if he wants to keep credibility. I don't think he can go to Bodog and continue to be thought of in high regards in the fighting world if he does.

  10. #170
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    Wow. That division just keeps getting better and better. Swick vs. Sanchez anyone?
    Yea, that is probably the most stacked division in all of MMA. It is interesting that Swick dropped down as he has 2 teammates in that division: Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch. Fitch is a really solid fighter who is just stuck behind all the stars in 170, the UFC hasn't been able to give him a big push. But I guess Swick had to do what was best for him. It was pretty clear that he just didn't have the strength to compete at 185. Okami was just that much more powerful than him in the clinch and on the ground.

    It'll be interesting to see how the UFC pushes him. Swick is a good fighter but I'd imagine he'd want an easier fight in his first fight dropping down. Maybe the loser of the Pariysian-Burkman fight.

    Obviously, this is the big one. Curious to see how this all shakes down. Will Fedor EVER fight in the UFC? Any thoughts or odds ASU? I think he's going to have to if he wants to keep credibility. I don't think he can go to Bodog and continue to be thought of in high regards in the fighting world if he does.
    I hope he does. I think he will fight in the UFC eventually. Fedor in the cage with the elbows would be even more unstoppable it seems.

Page 17 of 166 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28