Click Here!
Page 22 of 166 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1659
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Official MMA Thread

  1. #211
    Resident Cynic




    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,935
    Liked
    2210 times
    Karma
    1020000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog20/20 View Post
    Anyone going to see Sakuraba vs. Gracie at the Coliseum June 2nd? I'm not really looking forward to being outside in the heat but this will probably be my only chance to see Kazushi before he retires. Myself and Bishop412 got our tix already, pretty reasonable. Anyone else going?
    Sounds fun, wish I was around to see it.

  2. #212
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    We'll see what happens. Maybe they finally get that HBO deal worked out and it's on that channel. One can hope. Speaking of, here's a thumbs up to Max Kellerman for his response to Jim Lampley's obnoxious remarks about MMA. That guy knows who will be buttering his bread soon.
    Kellerman is a big MMA guy. I remember seeing him at past UFC events.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smythking
    Better be. He had a pretty decisive win against Griffin and the talk was Griffin would be in line for a #1 contender fight if he won so. . .
    It's even worse. I heard that they were going to give Forrest a title shot(mostly due to his popularity). Jardine beat their guy, he needs to be rewarded.

  3. #213
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,948
    Liked
    984 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    It's even worse. I heard that they were going to give Forrest a title shot(mostly due to his popularity). Jardine beat their guy, he needs to be rewarded.
    Ugh. . .I'm a fan of his, but I know he doesn't deserve a shot. The only reason he'd get one is because, well, who else would it be? Tito again? Nah. Public is done with that. Evans? Not until after this fight with Tito. My guess is the loss to Jardine is the reason the Rampage fight was fast tracked like it was.

    As to TUF this evening. . .man these guys seem like they're afraid to take a punch.

  4. #214
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,821
    Liked
    73 times
    Karma
    20056005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

    Default

    Yea, the last fight seemed awkward to me.

  5. #215
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    We'll see what happens. Maybe they finally get that HBO deal worked out and it's on that channel. One can hope. Speaking of, here's a thumbs up to Max Kellerman for his response to Jim Lampley's obnoxious remarks about MMA. That guy knows who will be buttering his bread soon.

    .
    Just to follow up, it has been announced that 72 is on PPV. Pretty disappointing. I think Franklin-Okami will be a really good fight, but I don't know if I'll buy that PPV.

  6. #216
    Let the kids play ASUcruz's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    21 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    My guess is the loss to Jardine is the reason the Rampage fight was fast tracked like it was.
    Yup, I think that is exactly what happend. I'm sure we'll talk about this after they fight but what if Chuck wins? Do they set up a rubber match later in the year? Or do they save Chuck until the cross over show where they'll probably have him fight Shogun.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmythKing
    As to TUF this evening. . .man these guys seem like they're afraid to take a punch.
    Yea, Emerson fought like a bitch in that 3rd round. Before I get to that though, how about Joe Lauzon. Probably the most impressive performace so far. He took Geraghty down easily and just destroyed him with a great ground and pound. That elbow he landed was devestating and he missed with one that would have sent Geragthy to the hospital. BTW I think that's how Fedor will be in the UFC. Fedor being able to use elbows might kill someone. I was really impressed with the pace Lauzon set and the relentlessness of his attack. Even when Geragthy got back up, Lauzon was right on top of him and took his back easily.

    The second fight looked pretty sloppy. Hill other than his size wasn't very impressive. His background his wrestling but he couldnt' take Emerson down, although Emerson has shown great takedown defense. But yea, Hill other than his impressive size and reach was not that impressive.

    Anyways though, Emerson's leg kicks were just devestating. If he threw more of them, he would have destroyed Hill. It might have been a tap out due to leg kicks. He was thrashing Hill's legs but Emerson didn't want to throw more of them because that would have put him in Corey's rage. Basically, Emerson didn't want to pay the price to win. THe third round was a toss up but Hill was more aggressive. Emerson fought like a pussy, it was his second and probably last chance, he should have just gone for broke in that last round.

    I'm excited that next week there are 2 fights. Would have been disappointing to have to wait 2 more weeks to get into the next round. I'm guessing one of the fights is a quick one. 2 of Penn's top guys against 2 of Pulver's weaker guys. Should be interesting.

  7. #217
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,948
    Liked
    984 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz View Post
    Yup, I think that is exactly what happend. I'm sure we'll talk about this after they fight but what if Chuck wins? Do they set up a rubber match later in the year? Or do they save Chuck until the cross over show where they'll probably have him fight Shogun.
    Who knows. I'm getting really antsy for them to get this whole superbowl org going because some of the divisions are pretty top heavy. . .but not really deep. If that makes sense. 205 being one of them. After Liddell and Rampage. . .there's a drop to the next level of young, hungry guys with the future in their laps. Not quite there though so they need to do something to bridge that gap I think. Same goes for 185, but not to that level.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz
    Yea, Emerson fought like a bitch in that 3rd round. Before I get to that though, how about Joe Lauzon. Probably the most impressive performace so far. He took Geraghty down easily and just destroyed him with a great ground and pound. That elbow he landed was devestating and he missed with one that would have sent Geragthy to the hospital.
    Yeah. Dead on. Lauzon looked REALLY good. He looks to be a force in a couple of years in that division. . .though it's pretty stacked so we'll see. He reminds me of Florian in his size and game, but with better standup. That might be a good fight in fact in the next year or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz
    BTW I think that's how Fedor will be in the UFC. Fedor being able to use elbows might kill someone.
    From an interview that was posted on Sherdog:

    Q: Do you have any experience with elbow strikes? Is it going to be hard for you to adjust to the UFC rules if you compete in that organization?
    A: I do use elbow strikes, and I am working on that technique. I don't think I'll have any difficulties with the rules.

    Now, maybe I'm reading too much into it. . .but that sounds like he's looking at being in the UFC yeah?

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUcruz
    The second fight looked pretty sloppy. Hill other than his size wasn't very impressive. His background his wrestling but he couldnt' take Emerson down, although Emerson has shown great takedown defense. But yea, Hill other than his impressive size and reach was not that impressive.

    Anyways though, Emerson's leg kicks were just devestating. If he threw more of them, he would have destroyed Hill. It might have been a tap out due to leg kicks. He was thrashing Hill's legs but Emerson didn't want to throw more of them because that would have put him in Corey's rage. Basically, Emerson didn't want to pay the price to win. THe third round was a toss up but Hill was more aggressive. Emerson fought like a pussy, it was his second and probably last chance, he should have just gone for broke in that last round.
    Oh yeah. Hill is gonna lose a leg if he keeps it out there like he did. Emerson should have been kicking the hell out of it all day long. Hill looks tricky with his movements, but that was about it. Didn't have good takedown. Didn't have good striking. He's gonna get killed in there against a guy like Manny methinks. Bottom line, neither of those guys really did enough to win the fight in my opinion.

  8. #218
    Polyphonic Prostitute OvertimeHero's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Andy Wang is a c***sucker and if I were Jens Pulver, I woulda beat the **** out of him right in Dana's office. And Dana should've just said "f*** it" and thrown his ass out because there are still 7 other eliminated fighters to chose from. How could someone be so disrespectful to a fighter who has done 100 times more than he has, and to the President of the UFC.

    Sims and Weems looked horrible. Especially Sims because he kept talking about how tough he was and how many streetfights he'd been in while being outnumbered 50-1. Ah, but next week's episode looks awesome with (most likely) Sims in fight at the house. You just had to know someone was gonna do something THAT crazy at some point before the season was over.
    Last edited by OvertimeHero; May 19th, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

  9. #219
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,948
    Liked
    984 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

    Default

    Just for some fun:



  10. #220
    Resident Cynic




    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,935
    Liked
    2210 times
    Karma
    1020000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm having MMA withdrawal right now. Feels like we should have already had both a Pride and UFC PPV recently. Ultimate Fighter just not cutting it this season. Too many schlubs in there. I think Joe Lauzon and Little Diaz are the best two of the lot. On a related note, I find it shocking that with the pool of talent the UFC is working with right now that they couldnt come up with a better card for this weekend's PPV. IMO, when we are getting excited over Kalib Starnes it's a sad day in hell.

Page 22 of 166 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66