Click Here!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Don't buy used games anymore. Starting with EA Sports.

  1. #11
    Trouble Will Find Me Big Red's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,920
    Liked
    636 times
    Karma
    1017137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Default

    bastards
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

    "I love this f***ing team right here."

  2. #12
    Video Game First Liner Ecktore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,438
    Liked
    1527 times
    Karma
    3123132
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

    Default

    Oh well.

  3. #13
    You'll Never Walk Alone chu gar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,311
    Liked
    16 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I got a better idea! Go out and play baseball with your friends! Outside, with a real baseball!

  4. #14
    Win it again..for Tanner! nosoupforyou's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,662
    Liked
    1285 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chu gar View Post
    I got a better idea! Go out and play baseball with your friends! Outside, with a real baseball!
    F U.

    some news show had a little bit on skin cancer and they said I no longer have to go outside to get my Vitamin D (and that it was much safer to stay out of the sun), so bugger off with ya!

    you are just trying to kill us with skin cancer!

    Last edited by nosoupforyou; May 12th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Be the Match! www.bethematch.org

    2011 - 2012, we believed, they delivered!
    2012 - 2013, be the best 7th man in the league! and do it again for Tanner!
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=100755849966783

  5. #15
    You'll Never Walk Alone chu gar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,311
    Liked
    16 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nosoupforyou View Post
    F U.

    some news show had a little bit on skin cancer and they said I no longer have to go outside to get my Vitamin D (and that it was much safer to stay out of the sun), so bugger off with ya!

    you are just trying to kill us with skin cancer!

    Wow, so its possible for people just to remain indoors now? I hope this means the traffic will go down

  6. #16
    Out of Hibernation Watti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Makes sense from the developers standpoint... As far as I know, they make 0% on used sales, so when we buy a used game we're essentially playing it for free as far as they're concerned.

    The real issue with used games is the incredible profits the stores make from turning them around. They'll buy back a brand new game for $5-10 and resell it for $55. What is that, up to 1100% profit?

    It's obviously for that reason that they go to great lengths to get you to buy used copies of games rather than new. I recently picked up MLB2K10 (don't laugh) at my local Gamestop, and the guy at the register wouldn't STFU about the "advantages" of buying it used. The ridiculous thing is, they had only one used copy of it left, which didn't even have the game case or the manual, and they were trying to push it on me for $55. They were going so far as basically bashing the game, saying that if I don't like the awkward controls and glitches, I could bring the used copy back but I'd be stuck with the new one. They tried at least 3 or 4 times to get me to change my mind before I finally convinced them that the $5 was worth it to me to get the whole package, brand new.

    As far as the blocking used games online, it actually might be a better system than the alternative, which would be to charge everyone a small fee to play the game online. At least if we buy them new (and our money goes to the actual developer rather than the sleazy retailer), we'll still get to play online for "free"

    And yes, I do get outside and play hockey (indoors, but you know what I mean), baseball, basketball, and tennis all on a regular basis... When I go home to relax, these games are 500 times better than any of the crap on TV and in some cases (basketball, football) are actually more entertaining than watching professionals play.

  7. #17
    Power Down, Guy! Drum4Pigs's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,336
    Liked
    215 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Watti View Post
    Makes sense from the developers standpoint... As far as I know, they make 0% on used sales, so when we buy a used game we're essentially playing it for free as far as they're concerned.

    The real issue with used games is the incredible profits the stores make from turning them around. They'll buy back a brand new game for $5-10 and resell it for $55. What is that, up to 1100% profit?

    It's obviously for that reason that they go to great lengths to get you to buy used copies of games rather than new. I recently picked up MLB2K10 (don't laugh) at my local Gamestop, and the guy at the register wouldn't STFU about the "advantages" of buying it used. The ridiculous thing is, they had only one used copy of it left, which didn't even have the game case or the manual, and they were trying to push it on me for $55. They were going so far as basically bashing the game, saying that if I don't like the awkward controls and glitches, I could bring the used copy back but I'd be stuck with the new one. They tried at least 3 or 4 times to get me to change my mind before I finally convinced them that the $5 was worth it to me to get the whole package, brand new.

    As far as the blocking used games online, it actually might be a better system than the alternative, which would be to charge everyone a small fee to play the game online. At least if we buy them new (and our money goes to the actual developer rather than the sleazy retailer), we'll still get to play online for "free"

    And yes, I do get outside and play hockey (indoors, but you know what I mean), baseball, basketball, and tennis all on a regular basis... When I go home to relax, these games are 500 times better than any of the crap on TV and in some cases (basketball, football) are actually more entertaining than watching professionals play.
    This!

    I work at a different Publisher, and we're doing the same thing. The customer that buys the game brand new can access all the features of the game - they enter their Online code to play Online. If they sell it, the customer that buys it used has to pay a fee for that Online code. They still get the Full Game, just without the Online Capabilities. My kids don't play online, so they would buy a used game and not see any difference from the used version to the new version. This practice is really targeting those Hardcore Gamers who want to play with their buddies online, but don't want to pay $60 bucks for a new game.

    GameStop is making Billions of dollars on used game sales (I believe $2 billion last year?) - all of which goes into their pockets. So much money, in fact, that Best Buy, Toys R Us, and WalMart are now starting to buy/sell used games themselves.

    Please buy New games - it helps keep the roof over my head and food on the table. It's also paying for my son's braces. Thanks!
    Last edited by Drum4Pigs; May 12th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.

  8. #18
    2nd Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    696
    Liked
    165 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Obviously you are a little biased. But when you buy a used game, you are not playing it for free. You paid to own it. EA or whoever got the initial sale. So, they DID get paid. I hate crap like this. You own a game, yet you have to pay to play it...again?

    That is like buying a used car and having to pay Toyota $100 bucks for a new key to put gas in the tank.


    And EA's last quarterly earnings were 1.25b. I'd say they are doing fine...

    As for gamestop-

    "The bulk of the company's revenue for the quarter came from sales of [b]new[b] game software, which comprised 44% of total revenue. New hardware sales made up nearly 21% while sales of used game hardware and software made up 22%"-Marketsource.

  9. #19
    Power Down, Guy! Drum4Pigs's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,336
    Liked
    215 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
    Obviously you are a little biased. But when you buy a used game, you are not playing it for free. You paid to own it. EA or whoever got the initial sale. So, they DID get paid. I hate crap like this. You own a game, yet you have to pay to play it...again?
    The New game actually has a large list of costs associated with it before it's even released. Looking beyond the cost just to develop a game (i.e. $10mil or $20mil) - For starters, the Publisher has to pay Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo a flat royalty to manufacture the game (i.e. $8.50 per disc), plus the printing costs of the Coversheet and Manual, plus any extra costs associated with Inserts, Stickers, Assembly, etc... bottom line is the Cost of Goods comes down to anywhere from $12.00 to $15.00 just to make a single game.

    Then everyone from the Distributors to the Retailers takes their piece of the pie. After a Publisher has spent years and millions of dollars paying for the development of a game, plus shelling out another $15.00 per game just to ship it to retail, they really aren't making that much money.

    As someone posted earlier - GameStop pays the customer $5 for a used game, then turns around and sells it for $55.

    I think Publishers are trying to figure out how to get some money back on these additional purchases. And since they own the Intellectual Property, and they own the Licenses, and they made the games, it makes sense that they should try to make a few bucks in the Used Game Sales industry.

    Quote Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
    That is like buying a used car and having to pay Toyota $100 bucks for a new key to put gas in the tank.


    And EA's last quarterly earnings were 1.25b. I'd say they are doing fine...

    As for gamestop-

    "The bulk of the company's revenue for the quarter came from sales of [b]new[b] game software, which comprised 44% of total revenue. New hardware sales made up nearly 21% while sales of used game hardware and software made up 22%"-Marketsource.

    Probably more like buying a used Chevy, then having to pay a monthly fee for OnStar that you're going to use once in the next 5 years.

  10. #20
    2nd Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    696
    Liked
    165 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I am aware that it costs money to make a game. I don't think anybody is that dense. But the fact is they sell a game for $60 bucks. Once the disc is sold, it costs the manufacturer nothing once the disc is sold and re-purchased. This is just EA wanting more money. Perhaps they can invest some of this money into their customer service department (which is the worst in the industry).

    Gamestop doesn't sell a used game for $55 when you can buy new releases from Amazon for 49.99 shipped.

    For fun...Modern Warfare 2 cost 40-50m to make. It has topped over 1b in sales. I am not going to shed a tear for the publisher. Halo 3 was made for 20-30m and made 500m+ (can't find updated figures since a year ago).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28