Demo is not impressive at all.
Demo is not impressive at all.
As far as I'm concerned, it's the same game. There's a slight different feel to it but it plays exactly the same as 11.
I noticed Game Manual in the options. So this is one of EA's titles shipping without a paper manual? Does the mean the retail price will be lower? Of course not.
lol...probably not. But still!!!
the cpu skated straight to the net, tackled my goalie, knocked the net off the moorings without any of my defender near him......no penalty I would have gladly posted it if they actually let me do the instant replay! And one other thing, how often does someone lose his stick when someone's does the stick lift? i lose it 4 out of 5 times.
I honestly think the gameplay is even worse than last year. atleast with big hits, i was able to knock 'em off the puck somehow....now they are magnets. pokecheck doesn't even work, ever. They somehow are perfect on faceoffs....
Last edited by Martyros; August 23rd, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
I played two modes so far.
Play Now Mode:
- I do like the new computer defense. On the penalty kill, the computer defense was automatically diving/blocking shots and really played their position.
- The hitting still looks fake, but I like that I'm having trouble bumping off the bigger guys and I can kill the Sedins with ease. If this carries over to EASHL, I'll be really happy.
- Goalie hitting seems ridiculous. I did get a penalty for roughing for intentionally hitting him so let's hope that carries over to EASHL.
- People are going to be laying out the goalie intentionally between plays if the setting stays the way it does (no penalties for hitting after the whistle)
- Maybe I am too aggressive on defense but I got called for 4 hooking/slashing penalties trying to stick lift.
- Stick lift seems as useless as ever though. The computer gets his stick on the puck immediately.
- Scored easily by firing a slap shot top shelf. I thought I got lucky but I scored 3 goals this way with no problem.
Be A Pro Mode:
- The Sim to the next shift is kind of neat but you still need to wait like 3-5 seconds for it to load. I guess it's better than just sitting on the bench.
- The tasks the coach wants you to do seems interesting. So far the coach told me to throw more shots on the net during the PP. The only stupid thing was... I didn't get a PP!
- Grades still seem way too generous. I purposely did not play my position and kept calling for a pass but my grades stayed at a A+.
- On my first shift, I scored shooting a wrist shot on top of the face off circle top shelf. Yep, nothing has changed.
- Either I don't know the buttons or I noticed that you can't jump on the ice for a line change. When you're glued to the bench, you're stuck watching the play or you have to sim through it.
Overall, I guess it's okay. It's just a demo and it doesn't seem like many things have changed. Hopefully the little things like being able to hit smaller guys easier makes the game better online. But so far, everything looks very gimmicky. I already have it pre-ordered so it doesn't matter if I like it or not. Oh well.
Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool
If you like the GDT, then click on "like" to let me know. Or better yet... share it on Facebook and/or Twitter! Thanks for looking. Go Kings!
yeah, that goalie interaction looks like a crap feature.
I ain't DL'ing the Demo...I'll just wait until the game comes out to get my first taste.
My first game was Play Now (on hardest difficulty,) my second was Be a Pro.
Skating is smooth, I kinda like it.
CPU seems smarter in many ways. They collapse in the middle of their zone so you can't keep crossing the blueline with the puck. They also wave their sticks on the ice to try to knock it away. They also stay in the correct positioning for the most part, and don't stand in the same spot for 5-10 seconds anymore. My cpu teammate even shot for a one timer without me forcing him to in BAP.
Hitting sucks, really really bad. I noticed every time I hit or got hit, the player would fall face first onto the ice...and nearly every hit was with a player charging after him. How do you fall toward the guy who hit you? Very lame.
Goalies still stand around in the net, they still don't even move when the loose puck is 5 inches in front of them. The curve shot is still there (of course...) and I'm guessing you can **** with the goalie all you want after a whistle, cause I did and never got a penalty. Tim Thomas looked like he was stomping on my player repeatedly (who was on the ground) which was strange. I didn't see any cpu players engage in contact with the goalie, so that's already looking like a worthless feature.
You can still cheat on faceoffs, still no penalties for moving over and over again in the dot.
Overall, I am actually impressed with the demo, mainly due to the cpu actually playing instead of standing around like idiots. I'm sure online will be the same experience as NHL 11, but I'm really hoping the cpu is half as smart online as they are offline.
Also, I hope the small players finally being able to get hit doesn't mean everyone online will make humongous players who can not only hit with ease, but are fast as hell too. I'm sure that will probably happen...but I guess it's expected.
So Staaaaaamkos is the cover curse this year right? I guess EA sent a lot of different choices to Blockbuster for their Pre-orders because Kopi was on one (along with Tim Thomas, etc.). Couldn't believe my eyes!
I played the demo and I thought the graphics were a little cleaner, and the action seemed faster too. The shots and passing were tighter to me. DAMN I need to learn how to do all these good scoring tips that TooCool and others said here! That is the one area I'm still weak at!
Ooo I would like to know how to cheat on the faceoffs myself haha. Some of the play-by-play was recycled like the baseball comments. Lazy EA! But I do like the new menus and the cleaner visuals as well. I liked the demo, and I'm looking forward to the game in the near future too.You can still cheat on faceoffs, still no penalties for moving over and over again in the dot
"I want to be the first King to hoist the STANLEY CUP" - Dustin Brown