Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PSP vs. DS

  1. #1
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Chartrand's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,862
    Liked
    476 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default PSP vs. DS

    For those who would know.

    Got two hundo in Best Buy gift cards to burn, and haven't had a portable since the Game Gear was still cool.

    I don't really have a particular leaning when it comes to games. Sports, action, RPG...it's all good.

    What say you?
    Melfice likes this.

  2. #2
    Wow! That's a low score! Palffy3314's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,104
    Liked
    252 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I've owned both. I really liked my PSP, DS is pretty good too. You can't go wrong with either, but I prefered the PSP.

  3. #3
    That'll do pig Sylar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    Liked
    154 times
    Karma
    1004100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Default

    I feel like this is like comparing the Wii to an XBox 360 or PS3.

    They are both great for what they do, but they both do different things. I feel like the DS is targeted more towards children while the PSP is more trying to convert console gaming to a portable format.
    Then again, I don't own either, but those are just my observations...so I'd say that it depends on what you are going for.

  4. #4
    Wow! That's a low score! Palffy3314's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,104
    Liked
    252 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I feel like this is like comparing the Wii to an XBox 360 or PS3.

    They are both great for what they do, but they both do different things. I feel like the DS is targeted more towards children while the PSP is more trying to convert console gaming to a portable format.
    Then again, I don't own either, but those are just my observations...so I'd say that it depends on what you are going for.
    That's how I felt when playing them. The PSP feels like playing a portable PS2 or PS3, while the DS feels like a portable N64 or Gamecube. Something like that.

  5. #5
    Team LGK Melfice's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,408
    Liked
    135 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

    Default

    I would wait for the Nintendo 3DS coming out in 2011. The system pushes very good graphics (on the level of the PS3) and should be one very nice handheld system.

    Only issue it might cost more than the current DS and PSP.

  6. #6
    All Star Fisch's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    Liked
    375 times
    Karma
    1163474
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

    Default

    I have a PSP but haven't used it other than when I travel. Haven't bought a game or DL'd one in a long time either. I always forget to buy a bigger Memory Stick being the reason.

  7. #7
    <3 Tanner <3 TooCool's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,118
    Liked
    8441 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    841 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chartrand
    For those who would know.

    Got two hundo in Best Buy gift cards to burn, and haven't had a portable since the Game Gear was still cool.

    I don't really have a particular leaning when it comes to games. Sports, action, RPG...it's all good.

    What say you?
    I have both systems so perhaps I can be of help. I personally play with the DS more than the PSP. In fact, I haven't touched the PSP in a looooong time. I bought a bundle pack 2 years ago for my sister because I felt like playing Final Fantasy Tactics. =\

    Whatever you do... do not buy a sports game for a handheld system. I honestly don't know why the game makers bother with it because they're all terrible. If you want a sports game, that's what the 360/PS3 is for.

    There are tons of good RPGs on the handheld though.

    I'm currently playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on the DS.

    Other great RPGs on the DS include any Pokemon game. If you want to try Pokemon, I suggest waiting for the Black and White versions coming out on March 6th. It'll probably get a 9.5 or higher in all the reviews. (They got perfect 10s in Japan.)

    Other things I can think of include Dragon Quest, any Final Fantasy games, The World Ends with You, and a personal favorite of mine... Suikoden Tierkreis. I'm a huge fan of the Suikoden series.. unfortunately Konami has been neglecting it. And of course, you can probably never go wrong with any Mario games on the DS.

    As for the PSP.. I only own a Megaman game and Final Fantasy Tactics.. so I can't say anything for this system. It's suppose to be "hipper" than the DS but you see all the "cool" people with DS anyway. *Shrug*

    Although off the top of my head, they have good games such as God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisch
    I have a PSP but haven't used it other than when I travel. Haven't bought a game or DL'd one in a long time either. I always forget to buy a bigger Memory Stick being the reason.
    If you do get a PSP though, make sure you get a memory stick like Fisch mentioned. One thing I like about DS games is that you can save your data on the game card (although I hate how some games you can only have 1-2 save files). But other than that.. it's no big deal.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    While it seems like most of you are allergic to the "like" button, I just want to personally say thanks for looking anyway.

    Rink Dawg

  8. #8
    CalgaryKing chaingunsofdoom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    4,305
    Liked
    678 times
    Karma
    3214798
    Images
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

    Default

    If you can hold-out, 3DS would be the way to go.

    The DS has sold so many units (47 mil in NA) because there's a reason for it: it's regularly on-sale for cheap (less than $100) and it has a ton of games (many of which are must buy across all genres). I have a stack of games from last year that I still have not even opened yet.

    For example, if you like only puzzle games, there will be a handful of must-own classics (something like Professor Layton series which scores a 9-10) and then there will be double that amount of good games (score 7-8). As an example of the latter, I can spend 2 hours on the plane just doing crossword puzzles (NY Times game) listening to my ipod.

    As someone mentioned earlier, if you like RPGs there are probably more than 50 that are decent to awesome.
    Posted via Mobile Device

  9. #9
    Tom Emanski Spokesman Frolov24's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,100
    Liked
    75 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I love my PSP, but lately I've been using it mainly for retro gaming (PS1 titles). Sony could have done a better job with the PSP, has so much potential but they've never really gotten behind it since the PS2 and PS3 have been their focus.

    IMO, PSP excels when it doesn't try to do too much. When it tries to replicate PS3/360 titles (Assassin's Creed, The Force Unleashed), the user is left with a poor man's version of a much superior console game. When a game is developed exclusively for PSP (FF7: Crisis Core) it's a much better experience. Instead of trying to create scaled down versions of console games, PSP publishers need to work on developing games that play to the strengths and limitations of the PSP. But since the user base for PSP is so much smaller than DS, it's juts not always a good financial decision for the publishers. There's the rub!


    Also, DS is much much easier to hack and use as an emulator.
    I will see you...in the next life

  10. #10
    <3 Tanner <3 TooCool's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,118
    Liked
    8441 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    841 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolov24
    IMO, PSP excels when it doesn't try to do too much. When it tries to replicate PS3/360 titles (Assassin's Creed, The Force Unleashed), the user is left with a poor man's version of a much superior console game. When a game is developed exclusively for PSP (FF7: Crisis Core) it's a much better experience. Instead of trying to create scaled down versions of console games, PSP publishers need to work on developing games that play to the strengths and limitations of the PSP. But since the user base for PSP is so much smaller than DS, it's juts not always a good financial decision for the publishers. There's the rub!
    I completely agree with you here. I'm not sure why they bother making a poor man's version of a superior console game. Which is why I despise sports games for handhelds.

    I should look into FF7 Crisis Core myself.. I loved FF7 to death. I'm sure Crisis Core should be pretty cheap by now. Thanks for the reminder!

    Edit: Just checked Gamestop.com. Crisis Core new is 9.99. Used is... 8.99 New it is then
    Last edited by TooCool; January 12th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    While it seems like most of you are allergic to the "like" button, I just want to personally say thanks for looking anyway.

    Rink Dawg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28