Tecmo Bowl Throwback
I get the feeling nothing but hockey games and COD are popular around here, but I know we have some old school gamers such as myself. Has anyone tried Tecmo Bowl Throwback?
It's a remake of 1993's Tecmo Super Bowl. It was released on Thursday for the Xbox 360, and will come out later on PSN. It's $10.
You get all 28 original teams. No real player or team names, but you can edit everything. The rosters are from 1993.
They've added online play, leaderboards, and an option to use 3D graphics. You can also play through a 3 season "franchise", a big deal back in 1993.
I played Madden back then, but never Tecmo. I must admit, while the game is pretty fun, there are several flaws. :
1. You can't change defenders after the snap.
2. Non-player controlled defenders just stand there sometimes and make no effort to tackle the ball carrier.
3. The 2D graphics are atrocious. I generally prefer 2D to 3D, but man... This **** looks like it was from the Sega Master System. Madden '93, released in the same year, looked great for its time. Good thing you can switch between 2D and fancy new 3D whenever you want.
4. The passing system can be annoying. You press A to cycle through receivers. If you make a mistake (or have a brief lag hiccup) and miss the guy you want to throw to, you have to go all the way back through every other receiver before you get to him again. By then, it's often a sack.
5. Touchbacks/safeties: If you receive a kickoff in the end zone, do not run out of bounds or stay there and get tackled. The other team will score a safety and get possession. Why is that a safety? **** if I know. Apparently, you have to press the B button repeatedly to "call for" a touchback. The game makes no mention of this in the "How To Play" or "Control" sections.
I know several of those things were in the original game. But if they're going to take the time to add 3D graphics and online play, why not do a little tweaking to make the gameplay more enjoyable?
But I criticize the flaws so much only because the base game is so good. Even with all that frustrating crap, I'm still glad I can play in an online league (online leagues not featured in the game; this is through a forum) as my Green Bay "Apple Pies", LOL.
If anyone else bought this, we should play!
This day that game will be mine.
But I'm still going to be rocking Modern Warfare 2 tonight.
uberPITAhead is the gamertag... for now. Send me a request and we'll play.
Not much of a football fan here but I used to play John Elway's Quarterback for NES which was also made by Tecmo. Still have it in fact. Was kinda lame.
Yeah, I used to play it back in the day as well. I think its selling point is the 'nostaligic' factor as opposed to the awesome graphics/gameplay.
If you're trying to compare it to any football game released since 98-99 you're gonna be really disappointed...that being said, I had some good times with this game and will probably pick up the new version just for ****s and giggles, play it for a few weeks and then rid myself of it.
I was comparing it to Madden '93. But as I said, I like the game in spite of its flaws. It'd be fun to play you guys.
Good stuff back in the day.
I wouldn't mind if they did this for SNK's Baseball Stars. I loved that game.
Oh God yes. Baseball Stars was a great game.
Tecmo Bowl - when you played football with only 2 buttons and 6 plays.
And God forbid you went up against Bo Jackson.
Hey, there are 9 plays, not counting field goals and punts. Each team has 4 passing and 4 running plays, plus the infamous "dive" play. Each team ahs different playbooks. This game is deeper than I thought.
I actually preferred using the NY Giants. That D could hold Bo back, and then you had Dave Megget to run the ball with.
Originally Posted by darby