Click Here!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: $15 an hour for fast-food workers?

  1. #21
    RANGZ aaron's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,013
    Liked
    740 times
    Karma
    2090754
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
    Yeah, government healthcare will save money.... lol!
    If you want American businesses to really thrive, take away their responsibility to provide health care. American companies are the only ones so burdened.

    Hope they strike. See what they are really worth.

  2. #22
    Over the rail! Fropitar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,653
    Liked
    770 times
    Karma
    1131958
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

    Default

    Regardless of how little schooling or experience, everyone should still have enough income to eat and have a roof over their head without having to be on social programs. The U.S. should be setting the bar for the rest of the world.

    Large corporations with billions in profit: Worst wages and 0 benefits. Millions in tax breaks.

    Small/medium privately owned business with reasonable profit margins: Best pay, full benefits and ZERO tax breaks.

    What the **** is wrong with this picture?

    A single large corporation has bought a large amount of privately owned businesses that my company does contract work for. Over the last 10 years they've automated everything to enable them to release all of the employees with a knowledge or skill required for certain jobs on the facility. The new operators know nothing about the process, they just know "I push this button", therefore they get paid squat.

    Large companies actively seek to destroy jobs that require knowledge and skill, all in the name of he bottom line.

    But cheers boys, those fast food workers are scum and not even worth $12 an hour, amirite?!
    They would probably blow that huge $240 a week take home check on drugs instead of spending it on all of this affordable education we have here, or at least finance it because school loan rates are so "low"
    Last edited by Fropitar; August 23rd, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

  3. #23
    Gnome sayin'? Jeffrock's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    418
    Liked
    125 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post
    Over the last 10 years they've automated everything to enable them to release all of the employees with a knowledge or skill required for certain jobs on the facility. The new operators know nothing about the process, they just know "I push this button", therefore they get paid squat.
    Did they really have a special skill or knowledge if their job duties can be coded by someone into a software program?

    I think our definitions of skill/knowledge differ wildly.

  4. #24
    Over the rail! Fropitar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,653
    Liked
    770 times
    Karma
    1131958
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrock View Post
    Did they really have a special skill or knowledge if their job duties can be coded by someone into a software program?

    I think our definitions of skill/knowledge differ wildly.
    Software can do a lot of people's jobs these days. I know, it's what I do. It doesn't make it right.

    The world needs blue collar workers.

    Should they make the same salary as an electrical engineer? Of course not. But should they have to live in poverty with no benefits because ______ corporation needs to make an extra billion in profit this quarter? Or because they didn't "work their way to the top because they're clearly just lazy"? Hell to the no, my friend.

    At least not in the America I was so proud to be a part of when I was a child.

    Now? I'm not so sure what America even stands for.

  5. #25
    OFF the Bandwagon salami's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,776
    Liked
    703 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post
    Software can do a lot of people's jobs these days. I know, it's what I do. It doesn't make it right.

    The world needs blue collar workers.

    Should they make the same salary as an electrical engineer? Of course not. But should they have to live in poverty with no benefits because ______ corporation needs to make an extra billion in profit this quarter? Or because they didn't "work their way to the top because they're clearly just lazy"? Hell to the no, my friend.

    At least not in the America I was so proud to be a part of when I was a child.

    Now? I'm not so sure what America even stands for.
    Did you grow up in Fantasyland? Fast food work is so low-paying because it's the bastion of the undependable and unemployable. Virtually anybody can do back breaking work; I know, I worked as a mason's tender for 3 years after high school and before joining the Army. Digging ditches and schlepping block is as hard as work gets. That said, I earned $8/hour because anybody with two hands and two feet could do what I was doing.

    My sister-in-law managed a major-chain coffee shop for a couple of years. The stories she told were really quite amazing. I couldn't believe the antics of the staff. With rare exception, they stole, lied, were chastised for being rude to customers, or just didn't show up. Jobs like this are for cutting your teeth in the working world. It's where you learn you have to do certain things to be employable at a REAL job.

    It would be wonderful for middle-class to be the bottom class, but the world just doesn't work that way.
    nocturn, BeerMan, Butch 19 and 2 others like this.

  6. #26
    SHOOT! Butch 19's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,094
    Liked
    605 times
    Karma
    1110800
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Did you grow up in Fantasyland? Fast food work is so low-paying because it's the bastion of the undependable and unemployable. Virtually anybody can do back breaking work; I know, I worked as a mason's tender for 3 years after high school and before joining the Army. Digging ditches and schlepping block is as hard as work gets. That said, I earned $8/hour because anybody with two hands and two feet could do what I was doing.

    My sister-in-law managed a major-chain coffee shop for a couple of years. The stories she told were really quite amazing. I couldn't believe the antics of the staff. With rare exception, they stole, lied, were chastised for being rude to customers, or just didn't show up. Jobs like this are for cutting your teeth in the working world. It's where you learn you have to do certain things to be employable at a REAL job.

    It would be wonderful for middle-class to be the bottom class, but the world just doesn't work that way.
    all true ^^^. Many years ago I worked a season at Mammoth Mountain (chair 2 lift crew), and I would say that maybe half of the staff were undependable. They were flakes and had no work ethic at all. A couple of winners on my crew got fired on their first day for taking a break to go smoke some pot behind some trees. This was not unusual. By the end of the season, (July of next summer), my buddy and I were offered manager/skiing positions for the following season. Ya know what we did to get promoted? We just showed up on time and did our jobs. We couldn't believe we had a shot at ski jobs after just one season, but basically we were one of the few left from the opening day roster.

    I just took a job in LA after working in Pasadena for 8 years. One of the fast food restaurants I go to I also went to 8 years ago. One of the current employees was also there 8 years ago. She hasn't move up at all, she's still working behind the counter. That's fine, but is that really worth $15+ an hour just because she's been there a long time? No, it's not. Fast food should be a stepping stone to bigger opportunities/salaries elsewhere. Unless if you're the manager, there's no need to do fast food for more than a few years at most.

  7. #27
    Over the rail! Fropitar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,653
    Liked
    770 times
    Karma
    1131958
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Fast food work is so low-paying because it's the bastion of the undependable and unemployable.
    Although the OP was based on fast food, and I referenced it in my initial post, In the last post I had a more industrial type job in mind.

    I dont agree with lumping a group of people as "undependable and unemployable", especially since jobs are hard to come by these days. I would never condescend upon you just because you were a mason worker. You're still a son, maybe a brother or even a father. Just trying to do the best you can with what you have.

    Obviously fast food workers will never make 15/hr. But in contrast minimum wage in 1977 was $2.50. Adjusted for inflation that number is $10.88. The current average minimum wage is $7.25. That extra $3.63/hr @ 40hrs would be roughly $350 extra a month take home. That could make a huge difference to a starving student that can't find any other job. A student that is amassing an increasingly large amount of debt at ridiculous rates in school loans, paying for gas at $4 a gallon etc.

    Now with Obama Care, people like you who are/were willing to work hard (a long 40hr week of building block walls) won't even be able to do that, because they'll all be cut to part time.

    ****ty times we live in..

    I feel fortunate.
    Last edited by Fropitar; August 24th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

  8. #28
    Over the rail! Fropitar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,653
    Liked
    770 times
    Karma
    1131958
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
    Fast food should be a stepping stone to bigger opportunities/salaries elsewhere. Unless if you're the manager, there's no need to do fast food for more than a few years at most.

    I don't disagree. Where we disagree is that minimum wage is currently a stone to step on. It's not. It's currently more like a bad (or good) episode of Wipeout.

    You both seem to paint the picture that you were good workers that were surrounded by incompetent coworkers when you were working low wage jobs. Why punish other guys who were just like you because of them? Fire those workers. These days there is large group of hard workers who need a job, any job.

  9. #29
    Everybody relax, I'm here KingThomas's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,548
    Liked
    673 times
    Karma
    1083004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Australia has ridiculous minimum wage laws. $17/hr to work at McDonalds. You know what you get out of it? NOTHING YOU MORANS!
    Name calling.


    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    When labor costs go up, cost of living goes up, and your mid and high tiers increase exponentially.
    False assertion of correlation is causation.


    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    It's a bandaid solution, which is what the unions are all about.
    Completely untrue.


    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Evil corporations exploiting the beaten down working man is the mantra of the under-intelligent.
    Denouncing exploitation is a moral issue, and belittling those who speak against it says more about what type of person you are than it does about their intelligence level.


    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Reality is it's impossible to legislate against natural selection.
    This is so outlandish it's crazy.


    Quote Originally Posted by salami View Post
    Unless of course you want your government handing out binkies and blankies with your paychecks.
    Childish retort and false conclusion.




    You seem to have this narrow view that anything that doesn't involve exploitation, greed, and class suppression is for morons or stupid. While it is your right to do so, don't think there aren't those who believe there's a better way. The working class and the employing class have nothing in common, and a class struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth.
    robm likes this.

  10. #30
    Team LGK KRC1221's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,991
    Liked
    3557 times
    Karma
    1464858457
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingThomas View Post
    Nope. McDonald's employees are the working class.
    Isn't everyone that has a job part of the "working class" by definition?
    Frozen Fury, the only reason you can't wait for summer to end!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84