Click Here!
Page 105 of 163 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1622

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Recently finished:

Thought it was fantastic. Gruesome, ****ed up and really well written.

About to start this:

I had no idea there was a new Hap & Leonard book out until yesterday. Bought it and will start reading it today.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adgy-san View Post
    Recently finished:

Thought it was fantastic. Gruesome, ****ed up and really well written.

About to start this:

I had no idea there was a new Hap & Leonard book out until yesterday. Bought it and will start reading it today.
    oH Hellz, NEW H&L??? See that trail of smoke? That's me hotfooting it over to Amazon son! Thanks Adgy.

Yeah, apparently it came out in ****in' March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar

Saw a novella 'Hyenas' that I didn't have, featuring H&L too...don't know if you saw that.

News to me! Goddammit!

Images

Just finished Nevil Shute's book, Pied Piper. Greatness.

It's the third Shute book I've read, the other two being Trustee from the Tool Room and A Town Like Alice. The man is seriously one of the best novel writers of all time, in my opinion. Everything I can get my hands on from him, I'll read. I've even been scouring the internet and used book stores to try and find hardbound copies of his work to add to my physical library. No luck yet, though.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
    Just finished Nevil Shute's book, Pied Piper. Greatness.

It's the third Shute book I've read, the other two being Trustee from the Tool Room and A Town Like Alice. The man is seriously one of the best novel writers of all time, in my opinion. Everything I can get my hands on from him, I'll read. I've even been scouring the internet and used book stores to try and find hardbound copies of his work to add to my physical library. No luck yet, though.
    What are his books about/like? I know I could Google him, but I want to hear what you think.

Images

Simple style, easy to read, clear plots, mostly set in WWII era. Technical things are favored in his writings (he was a very successful aero engineer), but not so much that they'd be a turnoff. His themes stress the dignity of work, self-sufficiency, and individual responsibility and liberty.

Pied Piper is about an old Englishman in the beginnings of WWII who loses his RAF pilot son to the war and while coming to grips with this while on vacation in France, has to deal with the advancing German army while he tries to get himself out of France and back to England. Having worried about being too old to have a purpose in the current conflict, he soon finds a cause he can live for while struggling to leave France. An easy 200 page read.
    Last edited by FBJ; August 18th, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Images

Just started Tom Holt's latest: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sausages.

His last book, Blonde Bombshell, was a freaking crackup of a sci-fi comedy! Truly Douglas Addams-ish!

Last edited by FBJ; August 18th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.

is busy cogitating. Winsomemore's Avatar

Re-reading Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". Very well written vampire novel.

Amazon.com: The Historian (9780316011778): Elizabeth Kostova: Books