Page 173 of 174 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174 LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1738

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Your favorite Mistake!
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1586 Post(s)

OverDrive Reports Library Borrowing of eBooks Up 16%, Audiobooks Up 34% in 2016

http://the-digital-reader.com/2017/0...books-21-2016/

I haven't listened to an Audiobook in years, but I like the idea that one can listen to them for free using the library system online. Hmmm...

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1175 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    OverDrive Reports Library Borrowing of eBooks Up 16%, Audiobooks Up 34% in 2016

http://the-digital-reader.com/2017/0...books-21-2016/

I haven't listened to an Audiobook in years, but I like the idea that one can listen to them for free using the library system online. Hmmm...
    I'm gonna have to look into that
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

Video Game First Liner
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

I got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas, and I picked this up through Amazon Unlimited. I'm at 36% of the books, and it's been hard to put down. The chapters are short, so the scenes change very quickly.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
    A good read within the genre. Not for those looking for all the strategy, tactics and daily life of the Roman Legions as there is almost none of that. It is really an adventure story of a son trying to reclaim the good name of his father who's reputation was lost by none of his own fault. A short book, easy read and part of a trilogy which covers three different sub-eras of the empire. If you saw the movie with Channing Tatum, the plot remains largely the same but there are some significant differences. Light but fun reading. I never knew about this book growing up but I am guessing it was probably on a lot of high school summer reading lists.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

Matterhorn: a Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes

I suppose part of my interest in this book is that my father would talk about his time as a Navy Lieutenant during the Vietnam War but obviously the Navy experience was different than that of the soldier or Marine. The author was a Marine Corps 1st lieutenant & Navy Cross recipient. I'm impressed at how he has retained authenticity while keeping the story from going morose. Some of the ground it covers is expected, the ineptitude of political micromanagement in war, the deep rifts that racism brought into the functionality of units, men as fodder for the career goals of generals. While he isn't an exceptional author, neither does it ever feel preachy or anything but matter-of-fact commentary from one who has earned the right to tell it like it is. He leaves you to figure out what heroism actually is and looks like, and, remains honest about the undercurrent of self-preservation and ambition even in those who lead and love their squads/platoons. I've had no problem wanting to continue on reading and feel like I understand the War a little more.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)

Fun little young adults book in honor of the movie coming out. Bit of a retelling of the story, whereas it turns out Belle’s mother, an enchantress (of the magical ilk) is the one who cursed the beast, as an emotional reaction to enchantresses being hunted down by the non-magical folk with no help from the king and queen. Belle and the Beast have to get out of his cursed castle, find her father (and mother, if still alive…hmm……) to try and break the curse.

Pretty much follows the movie's story until the point she figures out it was her mother that enacted the curse. Nothing groundbreaking, but a quick and entertaining enough read.

Your favorite Mistake!
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1586 Post(s)

Maybe, I'll stop being lazy and do an actual book update here. *Sigh*

Anyways...

What does your book collection say about you?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...404-story.html

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Maybe, I'll stop being lazy and do an actual book update here. *Sigh*

Anyways...

What does your book collection say about you?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...404-story.html
    Without reading that, mine says I love the solving mysteries hardy boys style and choosing my own adventure.

Video Game First Liner
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Just finished reading:

Currently reading:

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)

While I like "The Expanse" series on SyFy, season 2 without Detective Miller was not so fulfilling and I suspected that the series didn't live up to the novel. It didn't. At all. Caliban's War is an excellent follow up to Leviathan Wakes and I'm now committed to reading the rest of the series, over time, but definitely before each new season is aired.