Click Here!
Page 48 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Finished reading this last night:

Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the Criterion release of the movie later this year.

Going to start this tonight:

The 4th and final Ring book. Very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by adgy-san View Post

Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the Criterion release of the movie later this year.
    The Region 2 U. K DVD of that movie was recommended to me by Amazon.com.uk. I didn’t buy the movie, nor have I seen it, but from its description it sounds like something that I might enjoy.

I just finished reading E. M Forster’s A Passage to India and I am halfway through J.R.R Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. I am also going to start Yukio Mishima’s Confessions of a Mask and Yasunari Kawabata’s Snow Country soon. I am in a Japanese kind of mood.
    I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids
- and I might even be said to possess a mind.

I am invisible, simply because people refuse to see me.
    ― Ralph Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    The Region 2 U. K DVD of that movie was recommended to me by Amazon.com.uk. I didn’t buy the movie, nor have I seen it, but from its description it sounds like something that I might enjoy.
    You would.

I just finished reading E. M Forster’s A Passage to India and I am halfway through J.R.R Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. I am also going to start Yukio Mishima’s Confessions of a Mask and Yasunari Kawabata’s Snow Country soon. I am in a Japanese kind of mood.
    I read A Passage To India in high school and didn't care a whole lot for it, but I remember almost nothing about it.

Let me know what you think of Confessions Of A Mask after you've read it. I've nearly bought that book a few times...

1st Scoring Line OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar

NO WAY. I didn't even know there WAS a book! I thought the movie was f***** outstanding. How does the book compare? On a scale of 1 to 10, seriously, where do you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by *BLoTTo* View Post
    NO WAY. I didn't even know there WAS a book! I thought the movie was f***** outstanding. How does the book compare? On a scale of 1 to 10, seriously, where do you put it?
    You know, it's been so long since I saw the movie, that I couldn't really say. I have a bootleg copy of it, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.

The book is great, though, and I highly recommend it.

earlier i had posted that i started this. yesterday i finished it and i was very disappointed and bored with it. no offense to kanon fans but i found it very predictable and there were some elements to the story that did nothing to further the plot. the whole thing felt like a danielle steele book. in his defense though, the description of berlin and the people after the russians came was very good.

I read A Passage To India in high school and didn't care a whole lot for it, but I remember almost nothing about it.
    That's a difficult book to really like, and E.M. Forster is even one of my favorite authors. It's really just about highlighting cultural differences and how far out of whack things can get because of that. Actually, now that I think about it, that is probably a good book to read right now, as it relates to a lot going on in the world in terms of that particular theme.

Anyway, I just finished:

And I am just starting:

www.dictionary.com
    Bookmark it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky
    No Foof, I am NOT bringing you a waffle.

just finished the 1993 Neal Stephenson Classic: Snow Crash

going to move on to Cryptonomicon next and work my way thru his other titles...

good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bodycheck View Post
    just finished the 1993 Neal Stephenson Classic: Snow Crash
    Great book!

I finished reading the books from my last post and the following:

The Call of the Chutuluh and Other Stories-H.P Lovecraft
    The Satanic Verses-Salman Rushdie
    Queer- William S. Burroughs
    My Last Sigh- Luis Bunuel
    Do Androids Do Of Electric Sheep-Phillip K. Dick

I pretty much enjoyed all of them specially The Satanic Verses which was a surreali, complex, and awesome book in my opinion. My Last Sigh, which is filmaker Luis Bunuel’s autobiography was also really good since he talks about the surrealist movement, the Spanish Civil War, Salvador Dali, and so many other interesting bits.

I am currently juggling the following three books:

Juan Rulfo’s Pedro Paramo
    Toni Morrison’s Sula
    Chuck Palahniuk’s Lullaby

So, uh, yeah, that’s me.
    I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids
- and I might even be said to possess a mind.

I am invisible, simply because people refuse to see me.
    ― Ralph Ellison