Click Here!
Page 6 of 163 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Quote Originally Posted by darthrob13
    I hated "A Separate Peace".

D :SpiningDe
    That's what one of my friends says too... she absolutely detests it. I liked it, from what I remember.
    www.dictionary.com
    Bookmark it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky
    No Foof, I am NOT bringing you a waffle.

I'm currently reading a book by English author SIMON CLARK, called "Blood Crazy". It's a horror book...and my first of Clark's. I would say the story is
    *somewhat* similar to the movie "28 Days Later"....but Clark adds a great deal of humor to his horror. I'm only on page 138 of 394, but so far, so good.

I'm always on the prowl for some good (trashy even!) horror/thriller books, so
    if anyone has a personal recommendation (besides the requisite Stephen King or Anne Rice), I'm "dying" to know. Thanks!

spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Fooferah
    That's what one of my friends says too... she absolutely detests it. I liked it, from what I remember.
    All I remember was "Blitz Ball", the game in which the rules were made up on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by darthrob13

The second is an edited transcript of lectures given by Dr. Feynman, at Cal-Tech, 1961-1965. It is stunning how brilliant this man was. Another great read about/by him is "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman".
    I received that book as a gift from one of my college professors. Enjoyed it tremendously. Feynman ended up serving on the comission that studies the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I don't know exactly how accurate the folklore is, but he supposedly developed his experiment for testing the fragility of the failed O-rings at freezing temperatures by putting a small rubber ring in a glass of ice-water during a commission meeting.

I have just finished a couple of great books read with my book club. They are:
    The Piano Tuner (rent the movie Appocalyse Now to go with it)
    Middlesex
    We also read the Da Vinci code, which is not a great book in and of itself. The things it discusses, such as the Knights Templar and Opus Dei are fascinating if you do additonal research on the Web. It makes the book more interesting.
    I am also reading Teaching Lolita in Teheran, a fascinating story and best seller

I just finished "Bleachers", now onto my next book.....hmmm.....maybe "Angels and Demons" finally or "Paradise Lost".
    "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." ~C.S. Lewis

Just finished the GoodKind book Sword of Truth:Naked Empire and Sterling's Heavy Weather...made the Lustbader book the bathroom book .

Started Thomas Harlan's Wastelands of Flint.

Cid_MCDP

i read the new non-fiction book from chuck palahniuk last night. it's a bunch of essays on all kinds of stuff. i really liked it, but then i'm a big chuck fan anyways.

Editorial Reviews
    From Publishers Weekly
    This collection from shock novelist Palahniuk (Choke; Lullaby) is an eye-opening look at the raw material that goes into Palahniuk's fiction, as well as proof that the novelist's art is derived from keen observation and recording of details. Often these are as grotesque as a closeup in a horror film (e.g., in talking to a group of wrestlers enduring Olympic tryouts, Palahniuk focuses on their injuries, both physical and emotional). Half the essays are magazine assignments and include insightful profiles of rock star Marilyn Manson, indie-movie queen Juliette Lewis and a high schooler who wants to explore space via a homemade rocket. Others offer the author's impressions of a demolition derby, the Rock Creek Lodge Testicle Festival and life aboard the USS Louisiana. Palahniuk often philosophizes, dwelling on the effects his fiction has had on "reality," especially the obsession his fans have had with his novel Fight Club. Palahniuk is fixated on the transformation of life's raw material into fiction and the writing process itself, which he sees as having the potential for self-fulfillment. (Incidentally, Brad Pitt, who played Fight Club's protagonist, emerges as Palahniuk's alter ego, and a number of the essays play on this theme, creating a patchwork memoir.) Palahniuk's fans will undoubtedly revel in the secrets the author reveals. Newcomers might initially feel queasy, but they're likely to warm up to his visceral prose and come to enjoy it.

link: Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk

I approve this post.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    I received that book as a gift from one of my college professors. Enjoyed it tremendously. Feynman ended up serving on the comission that studies the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I don't know exactly how accurate the folklore is, but he supposedly developed his experiment for testing the fragility of the failed O-rings at freezing temperatures by putting a small rubber ring in a glass of ice-water during a commission meeting.
    It was better then that.

A Morton-Thyocol (sp?) spokesman had just finished speaking to the press about how it couldn't have been the O-Rings.

Feynman proceeded to twirl a piece of o-ring in a glass of ice water. He took it out a little latter, and broke it on the table.

Brilliant man, and a brilliant scientist.

D :SpiningDe

Kings Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin
    I started reading Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams recently, which prompted me to pick up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again.

- Fin

no set of books has every made me laugh more the the Hitchhiker's saga. Everytime I pick them up I'm in stitches.

NAU97

I am finishing I, Robot and starting The Order of the Phoenix again.