Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 1,731 to 1,738 of 1738

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Last thing I read was this thread. Last book was Probably if you take a mouse to school.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IceWarrior View Post
    Last thing I read was this thread. Last book was Probably if you take a mouse to school.
    Ahh, the great sequel to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". I wrote a fan fiction book called "If You Give a Mouse a Feral Cat". The illustrations are sick.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Raven One- I've seen this book characterized as a technothriller but the plot isn't really fleshed out enough to really fill that description. Its a very straightforward plot regarding a Navy F-18 pilot, the in's and out's and who's and what's of a deployed carrier group and air wing, in which all gets tested following an incident in the Persian Gulf. The technical specifics, tactics and jargon are very detailed and the author expects you to keep up. If you are a fighter, navy or military geek, this is a good but simple book. If not, there isn't enough elsewhere to make this worth your while. I enjoyed it.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Added Shogun to an order to get free shipping. I bailed on another of Clavell's epics and I wasn't impressed with the televised miniseries that my mother made the family watch when I was a wee lad so I didn't have high expectations. Pleasantly surprised though. He certainly is a researching fool. I'm over half way through and I'm certain I'll finish it within a couple of weeks (still several hundred pages to go). Sometimes taking a chance on a book works out well.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3062 Post(s)

The World is Flat
    By Thomas Friedman

Considering this book basically chronicles the world I've lived in professionally my entire life I can't help but say that since it was written over ten years ago it's clearly not only hit the mark but where Mr. Friedman held back some of the things for fear of sounding like he was approaching hyperbole he could have gone on and been proven correct. I am not sure that I totally agree with his concepts for the idea of a middle class america competing with the rest of the world but I will say that the current political climate has a lot to do with his grossly simple assertion that suddenly there were 1.5 billion more capable people entering the world workforce. Its a big world out there and this is a good as any place to open your eyes to it.

Video Game First Liner
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Started this a few weeks ago, but work, school, and life seem to get in the way of reading. Trying to fit in some reading time is not so easy recently.

I've had Shogun on my reading list for a while now, but I'm thinking of bumping it in favor of the Dark Tower. Thoughts?

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3062 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecktore View Post

Started this a few weeks ago, but work, school, and life seem to get in the way of reading. Trying to fit in some reading time is not so easy recently.

I've had Shogun on my reading list for a while now, but I'm thinking of bumping it in favor of the Dark Tower. Thoughts?
    I got through the first three books of dark tower and then life got in the way. It's funny I don't know many people that have powered through that series, seems like everyone takes their time.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecktore View Post

I remember enjoying IT back in the '80s and being disappointed in the movie which is usually the case. I never finished the first Dark Tower. Something about it just didn't light my fire but I'm not patient with books and need to get hooked early.

Shogun is an epic story that although it weighs in at 1150 pages, never lagged for me. While I am predisposed to be interested in the culture having a Japanese mother, I believe the combination of fish out of water (in the extreme), military strategy, adventure, political intrigue and cultural immersion aspects will translate well to most any reader. You may want to put it off until you have more time to read it within a short timeframe though.