Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176
Results 1,751 to 1,759 of 1759

Thread: What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

Bar room hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    915 Post(s)

Pretty cool read, Ross lived a sorta rough life as a youngster, the Smith's song "The Headmaster Ritual" was not an exaggeration. But has had a great life being with his band mates.

Bonus was I got to hang out and have a brew with the author a couple months ago at a show. He actually remembered me from years back when we had hung out. Pretty cool guy!

And yeah, you can see how old we got.
    Last edited by Kings Provisional; August 7th, 2018 at 09:46 PM.

The Dolphin is Not Amused
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2397 Post(s)

Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell on why we need libraries – an essay in picture

https://www.theguardian.com/books/ga...P=share_btn_tw

Bar room hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    915 Post(s)

A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena

And The Couple Next Door

Lots of twists and turns on her books and always that sense of darkness. You can be just a few pages away from finishing the book and you still don't have any idea how it will end. Have to say I enjoyed the first one as well as the second one even though I have not finished it yet. Lapena is pretty damn good and she gotten a lot praise and props from other authors and book reviewers.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3663 Post(s)

Neal Stephenson's
    In the Beginning...... Was the command line

I'm a huge fan of his essays and I have been randomly going back through his older works. Its hilarious to read technology prognostications from 20 years ago in general, but on occasion you find someone who's hit upon a great deal of truth at the time, albeit unknowingly. This is one of those occasions. The author has remarked a few times since about needing to update the essay but the subculture themes regarding microsoft and apple are still spot on as well as those regarding Unix/Linux. Similarly mixed in here is a prediction that profitability in software will not come from proprietary coding that can be easily copied, at the time he meant something else I'm sure. Now it certainly reads as though the explosion in ease of access to collecting big data was right on his fingertips had he been willing to go there. I'm not saying at the time he predicted google or facebook, but the groundwork of all the attempts to organize data from open source responses sure starts to read like the creation of the substructure that future companies were going to build off of once they realized there was a way to profit from users willingly engaging in giving their information to you. For tech historians it's worth picking up for the first time or again.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3663 Post(s)

Madeline L'engle's
    A wrinkle in time

I figured at some point the kids will want to see the movie so I should really pick this one up and read it through. Its a very simple story set for 9-12yo's I think. It's a very well put together introduction of science fictions eternal themes of balancing science and imagination back against the arguments of faith and human emotion as people go through life. It has the added benefit of eliminating the bureaucracy element of faith from the argument to help simplify some of the ideals of the arguments. It also does a good job of introducing the downfalls of obedience/model behavior and expressing the benefits of our failings.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)

Re-reading one of my all time favorites.

Yer Damned Woodpecker
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Nick Cole’s lit-rpg series begins here...and it’s a BLAST!!!

It continues with Soda Pop Soldier and Pop Cult Warlord.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The last book I enjoyed was Real Estate Investment: A Strategic Approach by Andrew Baum. I've read millions of books about real estate market but this book is way more detailed than the books I've read before. Also I found this book just in time since I'm planning to invest in commercial property Costa del Sol soon, now I can use some of these tricks I've learnt from the book :D

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    475 Post(s)