what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    OK, so this is a variation on a theme. I started with the LGK split pea soup recipe, and changed it up a bit.

Cook Time: 5-8 hours
    Ingredients:
    1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried white beans
    2 lbs chicken thighs, skinned (I'm sure breasts would work just fine, but I prefer dark meat)
    3 carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 medium yellow chopped onion
    2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
    6 or 7 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 Sprig of fresh Rosemary
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 tsp Thyme
    1/4 tsp Sage
    2+ chopped jalapeno peppers (2 gives it just a bit of a kick; add more for more heat)
    1 tbsp. salt
    Lots of fresh ground pepper
    1 1/2 qts. hot water (this will make for a very thick, hearty soup; add another quart if you want more broth)

Preparation: put the beans at the bottom of the pan, put the chicken on top of the beans (it wouldn't hurt to brown the chicken in a skillet before doing so). Add the bay leaves, sprig of rosemary and chopped jalapenos on top of the chicken.

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a pan; add onion, celery and carrots. Cook on medium to high heat until the onion starts to caramelize; add garlic, thyme, sage (or whatever spices you have on hand - basil, oregano, whatever), pepper and salt. Stir gently, cook 5-6 minutes more, or until the onions and carrots start to brown a bit.

Layer the onion/carrot/celery mixture on top of the chicken. Pour in the water. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until beans are very soft and chicken falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Eat.
    I need to try that. I love white beans. I think a scoop of Sour Cream mixed in would kick it up.

what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat View Post
    Anyone else got an Instant Pot, it's like the slow cooker in steroids. OMG. I am obsessing on it. Might have to try the split pea soup recipe and twist it.
    How'd that work out, Mike? I think my crock is on its last leg. The thermostat is starting to go wonky.

This is the one I'm looking at:
    https://www.target.com/p/instant-pot...B&gclsrc=aw.ds