Click Here!
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Soup Recipe thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
    Im gonna say Knoephla soup is one of my favs. Out of the can my fav is Cambells mushroom soup.
    And I cant forget the clam chowder at the Fish Co. in Los Al..Best clam chowder Ive had in the USA.
    If a ram is a sheep and a mule is an ass,why is a ram in the ass a goose?

Jook. though she is not asian. she makes the best jook in the world. and I've had it from all over the world.
    I'm younger than my tongue, and older than my teeth.

Lobster bisque from Enterprise Fish Company in Santa Barbara. Though the Minestrone at Far Niente is pretty darn good as well.

I'm partial to lentil soup myself.

My mom and I make this soup called Ajiaco that's a holiday tradition in Colombia. This recipe is CLOSE, but she also adds in yucca and green plantain slices. The guascas are a MUST for the flavor, it's just not the same without them. We don't serve it with rice as the soup can be pretty filling on it's own. Cilantro is a must, and you HAVE to have avocados on the side. This just made me hungry. I may have to make it before the holidays. Now I don't want to wait.

Another soup I can't live without is an Indonesian chicken soup called Soto Ayam. Here's one recipe, however, you can buy a pre-made spice packet like these at most Asian markets or online. Serve it with rice.

Damn. Now what to do about lunch...

For pure hedonistic indulgence, it's Lobster bisque all the way. The best I've ever tasted and as corny as it sounds was homemade from Tyler Florence's Food 911. It's an expensive pain in the ass but near perfect recipe (I think cayenne and fresh ground nutmeg were all we added). After spending hours processing the lobsters, doing all the steps, smelling.... stirring.... tasting.... tweaking.... dying to dive in and murder that whole pot, we let it sit overnight to properly meld the flavors--and the waiting was far more cruel and difficult than the recipe itself but made all the difference.

The next day when the teasing and agonizing self denial was finally over and the soup was re-simmered and strained and the bowls were heated and filled with that rich, pungent, lobstery concentrated soup, the first spoons delivered a moaning full body gastronomic orgasm like I've never had with any bowl of bisque or soup of any kind, anywhere, before or since.

I'm always open to try a different and even better recipe if any of you have a great one. The above is there on foodtv.com and has been panned recently by some, but I can only imagine they either cut corners, served it too soon, or are idiots.
    Last edited by OTTo VoN BLoTTo; June 27th, 2012 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTo VoN BLoTTo View Post
    For pure hedonistic indulgence, it's Lobster bisque all the way. The best I've ever tasted and as corny as it sounds was homemade from Tyler Florence's Food 911. It's an expensive pain in the ass but near perfect recipe (I think cayenne and fresh ground nutmeg were all we added). After spending hours processing the lobsters, doing all the steps, smelling.... stirring.... tasting.... tweaking.... dying to dive in and murder that whole pot, we let it sit overnight to properly meld the flavors--and the waiting was far more cruel and difficult than the recipe itself but made all the difference.

The next day when the teasing and agonizing self denial was finally over and the soup was re-simmered and strained and the bowls were heated and filled with that rich, pungent, lobstery concentrated soup, the first spoons delivered a moaning full body gastronomic orgasm like I've never had with any bowl of bisque or soup of any kind, anywhere, before or since.

I'm always open to try a different and even better recipe if any of you have a great one. The above is there on foodtv.com and has been panned recently by some, but I can only imagine they either cut corners, served it too soon, or are idiots.
    i need to drink AND EAT with you.

my favorite soup is the ones my mom makes. she makes ox tail stew and banh canh cua (banh canh = noodles, cua = crab). too bad i don't see her often or i'd get my soup on more frequently.

For especially nasty hangovers our brunch/lunch medicine is spicy Korean soondubu:

We've hit this many, many, many...... many times.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    i need to drink AND EAT with you.

my favorite soup is the ones my mom makes. she makes ox tail stew and banh canh cua (banh canh = noodles, cua = crab). too bad i don't see her often or i'd get my soup on more frequently.
    Someday, Lunchie! Hey, google search "the pig and the lady Honolulu". it's local Vietnamese high culinary art (with an occasional French accent) and some of the best food I've ever eaten. Your post reminded me of this because they make incredible crab soup. Oxtail is so bomb too... I'd LOVE to try your mom's!!!

oh man, oxtail soup is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo damn good.