Thread: Last Movie Watched

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

So I saw this yesterday. Quite a bit of fun. But Sony ain't getting Spidey back. Marvel got their foot in the door and managed to tie this version so deep into The MCU that it's near inconceivable that Sony could make a free standing movie that doesn't suffer inexplicable passages due to having to remove the Marvel stamp. That's what kind of made the movie fun though, so they ought to just embrace the whole thing and sit back and enjoy it. Now...you may not think that's a big problem, and for Spidey...it isn't. But Sony is going all in on a spideyverse, and that's where the trouble is gonna start.
    Business aside...it was light. Primed mainly for a younger(teen) audience, but still entertaining for us old and bitter ****s. Closest they have come to actually capturing PETER PARKER. Holland was that good. Oh, and KUDOS for actually having a movie where teenagers didn't look like 3rd year college students.

Now the bad. Ok. I get it. I do. Diversity trumps continuity and tradition. And I'm sure...SOMEONE will take offense with this, but the pendulum has swung entirely the other way. I know there is still a long way to go blah blah blah, but you don't have inclusivity by completely replacing every peripheral character with a United Colors of Benetton ad. How about some diversity in your diversity?
    Aunt May getting a youth retro was a mixed bag. Tomei wasn't given a lot to do and there was a strange, almost kind of let's not give PP/Spidey any backstory. I get not making an origin flick, but you can reference important touchstones without it feeling like you are going down exposition road. A picture of Uncle Ben on the mantel or something would have been nice.
    Minor quibble, Spidey's movements felt a little...glitzy. Too much emphasis on CGI, not enough on actual physics. Felt a little lazy and cold.
    To sum up, this was the first Marvel movie since...Ant Man, that had a deep supporting cast and B story. It was refreshing and light...with none of the coming attractions feel of other Marvel fare. Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman was very much in attendance. A solid villain(with a few minor inconsistencies), which was sold by another great Michael Keaton performance b.t.w. The franchise feels like it has some legs and is in good hands. Would I see it again? Yes...I think I would.

Muffisher
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)

Must see. In Theater. Now....

Resident Cynic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping: Often hilarious and pretty much chuckling the whole time . Grade: A-
    Dunkirk: Saw it in IMAX, just intense and so cinematic. Grade: A
    Atomic Blonde: Solid, not John Wick good but still worth a watch. Grade B

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

Saw this last weekend. As a longtime fan of the og POTA I was hesitant when this all started. L.S.S. I love practical and hate cgi. But these movies really aren't about that. These movies are about storytelling. This one concludes the prequel series dovetailing nicely into T.O.S. F'n weird 'summer tentpole' flick. Dark, contemplative...largely quiet, and not an easy conclusion. Imagine the exact opposite of Transformers.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

How could a movie called Atomic Blonde and scored almost exclusively with '80s music not include Atomic Dog among that music? Otherwise, enjoyable.

Your favorite Mistake!
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1586 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    How could a movie called Atomic Blonde and scored almost exclusively with '80s music not include Atomic Dog among that music? Otherwise, enjoyable.
    Did it have Blondie's Atomic?

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Did it have Blondie's Atomic?
    Yeah. Great soundtrack, actually.

Still would have been better with Atomic Dog. I mean, what isn't?

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

Stunning movie. Really really nice work by Renner, who rarely gets a chance to 'act' like he does here. He has a very expressive face...looks lived in. Got a feeling he will age nicely as an actor. Elizabeth Olsen and Graham Greene do some good things too. Real solid uncredited appearance by another guy who I keep finding myself surprised by. The movie is a little flawed...the reveal comes really fast, and it's kind of uninspired...but it hardly matters just because the rest of the movie is strong enough to overcome. Taylor Sheridan has a great future if Sicario/Hell or Highwater and now this are the START of his career.

And, see it in a theater. The vistas are stunning. A character says something about Wyoming having nothing but 'snow and silence', and I literally fell in love. I HEART Wyoming.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2675 Post(s)

Saw Dunkirk. In IMAX. Very pretty. Beyond that... meh. I don't get the hype.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4007 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Saw Dunkirk. In IMAX. Very pretty. Beyond that... meh. I don't get the hype.
    The actual definition of the Nolan Experience