Thread: Last Movie Watched

LGK Agitator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Genius on drums - Madman the rest of the time.
    Great Documentary

what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1108 Post(s)

God I really wanted to like this movie. The concept is f****** great, the CGI was great but the directing, screenplay writing, and acting were garbage. That and plot holes galore.

I honestly think NP is a crap actor. She seems to be disingenuous and has a laziness about her. Meh

In the right hands (Doug Liman?), this could have been amazing, but alas.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post

God I really wanted to like this movie. The concept is f****** great, the CGI was great but the directing, screenplay writing, and acting were garbage. That and plot holes galore.

I honestly think NP is a crap actor. She seems to be disingenuous and has a laziness about her. Meh

In the right hands (Doug Liman?), this could have been amazing, but alas.
    You are right. Completely...except, i.m.o. about the directing. I thought Garland did a good job on a movie that the studio lost faith in after the fact. Portman...so true. How was she such a great child actor and yet a vacant eyed Stepford wife since.

btw, I managed to enjoy it a lot despite flaws. You need to watch The Ritual on Netflix.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; June 1st, 2018 at 07:44 PM.

The Dolphin Cares!
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1951 Post(s)

Nobody gonna criticize Natalie Portman on my watch!

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

Ladies and gents, I had a #throwbackSaturday...

Like Hot Dog:The Movie, Skateboard:The Movie, Ski School, and many other C-list classics before it, the poster says it all. Infinitely low budge, guilty pleasure flick that survives a LOT of faults simply by the charm of the cast. Sure, kinda hard to watch a well worn Johnny Knoxville take endless head and crotch shots but he's so damned likable that you power thru.

Well this...this is everything you would expect. A Vestron Video classic, guaranteed to be a guilty pleasure beer and pizza flick. Like all good half baked flicks, the science of it is laughable and stretched pretty thin. But the action...the action is sweet. Imagine Evil Dead 2 physicality with Matrix like action. On a shoestring budget. The lead is a not-quite-Tom-Hardy and the villain(?) is Jared Leto lite by way of the white haired kid from Harry Potter. The ending cements it as a true ****ed up soon to be not classic classic. SEE IT

#ISTANDWITHJAMESGUNN

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3017 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Ladies and gents, I had a #throwbackSaturday...

Well this...this is everything you would expect. A Vestron Video classic, guaranteed to be a guilty pleasure beer and pizza flick. Like all good half baked flicks, the science of it is laughable and stretched pretty thin. But the action...the action is sweet. Imagine Evil Dead 2 physicality with Matrix like action. On a shoestring budget. The lead is a not-quite-Tom-Hardy and the villain(?) is Jared Leto lite by way of the white haired kid from Harry Potter. The ending cements it as a true ****ed up soon to be not classic classic. SEE IT
    Old-fashioned grindhouse. Start with a store-brand cross between Jamie Dornan and Tom Hardy. Add a little bit of Death Wish, The Matrix, and 2001. Stir. Top with a generous dollop of the old ultra-violence. Done!

A terrific popcorn flick.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

Honestly...I have had violent mood swings as far as my opinion on this one. I can honestly tell you, that this is a highly engaging movie from a possibly 'to be watched' writer/director. I can tell you it is Ridiculously rich in potential...all while telling you that it is a deeply, almost amateur hour flawed and clumsy film. But I can't tell you it wasn't MESMERIZING. From the first hour and a half that had my showing audience uncomfortably anxious and irritated. Early shock that changes the entire perception of the movie so far...and then it gets equal parts STRANGE and mundane, a foot in each door anchored by the really good cast. Gabriel Byrne was fantastic as you watched quiet and 'go along to get along' dad, who descends into a very gradual madness that is entirely relatable.

At 2 hrs and change it feels bloated, yet the original cut was 3 hours. I would like to see that cut. Because there are huge holes in this movie. HUGE. Yet, I can't not recommend it. It's a challenge probably like what MOTHER was last year.

Ann Dowd(leftovers) is also tremendous. Playing what could have been a very predictable character, she subverts the thing and has you flip flopping on what you expect her character is...Trying not to spoil, so that last sentence was meant to be vague.

Thank God for this. Terribly pseudo Tarentino by way of Smoking Aces. Real nice character acting by Jodie Foster, who is shadowed and shielded by a why am I surprised he was that good still Dave Bautista. Most of the characters get a chance to shine, sadly, Charlie Day is a coke fueled little man annoyance without any of his usual charm. This is another good beer and pizza flick.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; June 10th, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    746 Post(s)

Heredity
    I'm with @jerseydevil on this one pretty much entirely. I was disappointed by some promise of depth that never materialized, but I was encouraged by some of the unique aspects of it. I will say that this is one of those movies where the movie is not exactly what the trailer promises, but it's at least enough in the ballpark that it doesn't lose the audience in that regard. I saw it in a full house, and the audience seemed engaged the whole way. It's a marginal recommend from me due to the areas where it does not deliver. However, it joins Annihilation and You Were Never Really Here in a year that is turning out to have some films with fascinating pace and atmosphere. Oops. Almost forgot to mention in addition to the rest of the wonderful cast… Ann Dowd! And here I finally just finished watching The Leftovers.

Red Sparrow
    This one's onto home video already, but I thought I'd mention it along with Heredity, because I think it suffered some audience backlash from not being remotely what the trailer promised. Not that it was destined to be a blockbuster in any case, but it's more of a cold war thriller than an actioner. And by that measure, I thought it was good. The advertising campaign reminds me of The American, which was my favorite film of 2009(?), I think it was. I saw that one in a theater full of angry people who were expecting to see something more like George Clooney as Jason Bourne.

Won't You Be My Neighbor?
    Like RBG, this is a documentary that is pretty thin on impact or creative substance, but whose subject matter is so endearing and fascinating that it scarcely matters. Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood is such an essential part of my childhood that there was no way this one could lose. I wish there was maybe just a little more about the real man inside the sweater, the documentary does a great job of exploring the real depth behind the show and left me thinking we could use as many Fred Rogerses (and RBG's) as we can get right about now.

RBG
    See above.
    Last edited by LetTigerIn; June 13th, 2018 at 04:33 PM.

Concussed Villain
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4568 Post(s)

I also saw Hereditary this weekend, and most definitely enjoyed it more than JD and Tiger above.

It's a perfect film for this subject matter, and I found no plot holes at all - it's a slow, long build, or rather deteriorating crawl where the lines of mental illness and the supernatural are not blurred, but intertwined. Even what could have been a stock husband character played by Gabriel Byrne isn't your ordinary "this is all in your head" type - he feels every ounce of pain in the reality of his family's situation, and copes accordingly without ever resorting to the pat responses usually offered.

It's not a scary movie at all, and it doesn't intend to be. It's about dread. The dollhouse metaphor is the key to understanding the difference between this and other demonic themed movies. Someone is in control at all times, and that manipulation is never fully explained, it unfolds in front of you. All the answers are there, they just don't hit you over the head, they arrive naturally.

I am glad for the differences from the trailer. The less you know about the plot, the better. Expectations detract from the experience.

I liked this film more than any other I have seen since Under the Skin. It's a rough ride for sure, and like that movie it is very difficult to recommend. Not everybody is going to enjoy sitting thru that much despair, and at that pace. If you enjoyed The VVitch, this is right up your alley. Hopefully Collette and Dowd will be remembered at Oscar time.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    I also saw Hereditary this weekend, and most definitely enjoyed it more than JD and Tiger above.

It's a perfect film for this subject matter, and I found no plot holes at all - it's a slow, long build, or rather deteriorating crawl where the lines of mental illness and the supernatural are not blurred, but intertwined. Even what could have been a stock husband character played by Gabriel Byrne isn't your ordinary "this is all in your head" type - he feels every ounce of pain in the reality of his family's situation, and copes accordingly without ever resorting to the pat responses usually offered.

It's not a scary movie at all, and it doesn't intend to be. It's about dread. The dollhouse metaphor is the key to understanding the difference between this and other demonic themed movies. Someone is in control at all times, and that manipulation is never fully explained, it unfolds in front of you. All the answers are there, they just don't hit you over the head, they arrive naturally.

I am glad for the differences from the trailer. The less you know about the plot, the better. Expectations detract from the experience.

I liked this film more than any other I have seen since Under the Skin. It's a rough ride for sure, and like that movie it is very difficult to recommend. Not everybody is going to enjoy sitting thru that much despair, and at that pace. If you enjoyed The VVitch, this is right up your alley. Hopefully Collette and Dowd will be remembered at Oscar time.
    I am so on board with the Byrne/Dowd love. Collette is amazing. And this movie succeeds, despite itself, in being a challenging R rated original idea. Perceived plot issues be damned, I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I saw it. And I still don't know how I feel